High Water danger
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, High Water danger in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Be careful. I killed my 2000 Deville by driving slowly through 6 inches of water. I must have aspirated some ...
    mblair441 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Unhappy High Water danger

Be careful. I killed my 2000 Deville by driving slowly through 6 inches of water. I must have aspirated some water because it threw a rod through the block. Anyone else have a similar experience? Four cars passed me through the same water so why me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Re: High Water danger

Must have been deeper than 6". The air inlet is behind the drivers side headlight, maybe 12" above the road, and even at that point it would have to draw the water up in to the air filter another 4 inches or so and then into the engine. Water would be coming in under the doors before it came into the intake.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I have to agree. Driving slow through 6" of water does not sound like enough to do it. Not doubting that you have a rod sticking out the side of your block however. Sorry to hear that.

MisterBlue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mblair441 View Post
    Be careful. I killed my 2000 Deville by driving slowly through 6 inches of water. I must have aspirated some water because it threw a rod through the block. Anyone else have a similar experience? Four cars passed me through the same water so why me?
    Why you? Well, undoubtedly, the cars that passed you threw up a little wave, and that wave was high enough to enter the air intake. Fact is, 6 inches of water will make a heckuva little wave (which you might not even see).

I was just watching the "Ike" coverage on TV down in Texas, and a small SUV was plowing through about a foot or so of water, going so fast the water was piling up in front of the car (to the top of the hood). Needless to say, whoever was driving discovered the fallibility of driving through water at speeds over 2 mph, because it died right in the middle of the road.

Even if the air intake is high (carburetor level), once water gets up to the fan, the resultant spray onto the engine will kill most gas engines.

afroney is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I live close to the Mississippi river, which floods at least once per 2 years.

This year, I was driving along the river, at night and hit a very deep strech of water for about 500 feet, going 55 mph. I kept on the throttle, and made it through. I'd say the water was about 6 inches off the ground.

The water finished off my AIR pump (Which was intermittently throwing a code anyways) but other than that, no damage, and a very clean underside.

Sorry to hear about that. I wonder if comprehensive insurance coverage would cover such a problem.

MagicRat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 1981 Fleetwood (Olds 455-powered)

Quote Originally Posted by afroney View Post
    I wonder if comprehensive insurance coverage would cover such a problem.
    It would be very difficult to prove to the insurer that the cause of the damage was a 'road hazard' and not just an engine failure.

Lithorian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9 Liter, 1988 Camaro Iroc-Z 5.0 Liter

well the wave created vy the other vehicles could have made it high enough to get inducted into the vehicle, if that nice cold water made into one of the cylinders imagine what would have happened if one cylinder seized itself up by taking a nice drink while the rest of the motor was movin at about 1200 rpms?

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

moral?
    Cadillacs are not Submarines...
    Submariner can verify that

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.