Headliner in '91 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Headliner in '91 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; First of all, I have to say that I am creeping up on 200,000 miles and I have had the ...
    LukeChumley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado ETC (Z-rated)

Question Headliner in '91 Deville

First of all, I have to say that I am creeping up on 200,000 miles and I have had the best experience of my life with this 1991 Sedan Deville. The car only had 82k on it when I purchased it and I have worn it out. My maintence record is very slim besides the normals. My real problems have only been my EGR Valve, I had a break calipur go out and a transmission gasket that caused fluid to leak. Compare THAT to those little civics that burn head gaskets at 180k!

My problem today is not a mechanical one. All of my codes are clear, there are no rattles or pings, no check engine/service car soon lights and my car is running smooth, quiet and is my little slice of heaven on earth. This problem is a cosmetic one that started as an annoyance and has escalted into a safety hazard and make my appear, "ghetto", if you will. The problem is that my cloth headliner had a few bubbles in it that have developed into huge sagging pockets that block my view of the rear windshield and tickle my head when I am driving.

When the pockets were small bubbles I put little gold thumbtacks in them to give it the "pleated" look, and it worked, for a while. However, yesterday I decided to replace all of it with some matched material and new foam. I did my research and found the best adhesive for the job and learned about the little clips holding my trim on and all of that. I have to admit, though, that since I have never done this - I do not want/need any surprises. All over this forum I have searched and found info, but not the kind I am looking for - also, google (for the first time since school let out) didn't help me find what I was looking for. I was wondering if some could just tell me what to expect when I start undoing screws? Also, I was slightly worried about the two sunvisors that are wired because of the lights, will those just danlge, or will be rewiring too? I am up for a challenge and a little work - but I am never up for doing it twice because I was being ignorant the first time. What are the layers of the headliner if looking up from the seats? I know its fabric->?->wood. Is there a foam I need to buy to go between them? Do I use the same adhesive to make the foam stick to the fabric?

Just a fellow owner in need of some sr. member advice, thanks in advanced.

Luke.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: Headliner in '91 Deville

The only thing you should expect when you start taking out screws is that the parts they're holding on will come off When you take the sunvisors down you can disconnect the wire that goes to them. Get someone to hold it up for you while you're taking the parts off.

Did you find out how much it would cost to get a shop to do it?

It was in the neighborhood of 150$ and I figured that was a little steep for putting up and glueing some fabric...

By the way, 199,000 on the way home.

Luke

It was in the neighborhood of 150$ and I figured that was a little steep for putting up and glueing some fabric...

By the way, 199,000 on the way home.

Luke

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.