Ac Compressor Cost
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Ac Compressor Cost in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I turned on the AC yesterday for the first time. Within minutes there was smoke rolling out from under the ...
    ScottyB is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Ac Compressor Cost

I turned on the AC yesterday for the first time.
    Within minutes there was smoke rolling out from under the hood. It looked as if the clutch on the compressor pulley was 1/2 engaged and 1/2 disengaged. I shut off the AC and drove it to my mechanic. (I turned the radio up so the screeching didn't bother me!!! They could hear me for miles)Today he said the compressor is shot. New EOM is $450+ $200 labor. He is looking for a rebuilt unit.
    Any suggestions here? Does the price sound right? Is rebuilt the way to go?
    I don't want to be cheap, but I just put new brakes on last week, the muffler is shot, I just had the heater core flushed in winter and I need a tranny flush.

72,000 on my '95 Deville.
    I love the car, but this is a rought month.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AElayyat is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

Re: Ac Compressor Cost

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB
    I turned on the AC yesterday for the first time.
    Within minutes there was smoke rolling out from under the hood. It looked as if the clutch on the compressor pulley was 1/2 engaged and 1/2 disengaged. I shut off the AC and drove it to my mechanic. (I turned the radio up so the screeching didn't bother me!!! They could hear me for miles)Today he said the compressor is shot. New EOM is $450+ $200 labor. He is looking for a rebuilt unit.
    Any suggestions here? Does the price sound right? Is rebuilt the way to go?
    I don't want to be cheap, but I just put new brakes on last week, the muffler is shot, I just had the heater core flushed in winter and I need a tranny flush.

72,000 on my '95 Deville.
    I love the car, but this is a rought month.
    That price sounds about right for an a/c compressor. I feel you that it is expensive, but that compressor will last you a while if the a/c work is done properly. Personally I would not get another rebuild or remanufactured a/c compressor as I have not had good luck with those in the past.

Joe Sixpack is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ackits.com has a brand new compressor for my '92 Deville for $300. I emailed them a question and it does have the double lip seal that GM recommends. The compressor sits down so low that it picks up road grime, salt, etc., causing the shaft to rust, and when the rust reaches the bearing, you get friction, and the heat eventually will cause the seal to leak. Most of the time when the AC system leaks it is doing it right from that seal.

If you are getting OEM you probably are getting the double lip seal, but you should check to be sure. I wouldn't go with a rebuilt one, a new one can be had for the about same price or even less than a rebuilt. Since the compressor is such a critical component and a failure can contaminate your whole system with teflon debris, not to mention stranding you somewhere if it locks up and your serpentine belt breaks, I'd go with a new one.

Dennisk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Concour Deville (sold), 1949 Cadillac Series 62

My compressor on my 95 Deville Concour went about a year ago, it cost me $1600 to replace at the Caddy Dealership, but it has a lifetime warranty that falls under the GM Goodwrench agreement...so it was worth it to me.

Paul Nagy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

These guys have a deal, as I recall.

http://www.aircoparts.com/INFO/COMPRESSOR.htm

I vaguely rememberr buying an a/c compressor from Auto Zone and then thinking afterward, shit--I shoulda bought it from these guys!

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Price sounds right for a factory part. You don't want to put a rebuilt unit on there.. They just can not rebuild those compressors worth a dang and it cost you a considerable amount to swap it out again when it fails.

Steve B.

ChiMick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'd say that $300-350 is about right for the compressor and the labor is about right too.

Remember kids to run your air conditoner a little bit every month even in the winter to keep those seals happy!

(old joke follows)

A vacationing penguin is driving through Arizona when he
    notices a strange noise under the hood of his car. He gets

out to look and smoke pouring out of the A/C compressor.
    He drives to the nearest town and he pulls into the first gas
    station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk
    around town. He sees an ice cream shop and being a penguin
    in Arizona decides that something cold could really hit the
    spot. He gets a big dish of vanilla ice cream and sits down
    to eat. Having no hands, he makes a real mess trying to
    eat with his little flippers.

After finishing his ice cream , he goes back to the gas
    station and asks the mechanic if he found the problem.
    The mechanic looks up and says, "it looks like you blew a seal."
    "No no", exclaims the penguin. "its just ice cream!!!"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.