93 deville problem. Can someone identify these parts :)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 93 deville problem. Can someone identify these parts :) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I notice the the speedometer floating at 30 - 40 mph while I'm stopped at a red light. I decided ...
    digitalanimal is offline Cadillac Owners Member

93 deville problem. Can someone identify these parts :)

I notice the the speedometer floating at 30 - 40 mph while I'm stopped at a red light. I decided that I would pull the car over when the light turned green. The light changed and i gave it a little gas to get over to the curb and I hear the sound of mechanical thrashing, "grind grind grind clang bang boom". I Get out of the car after a few second and see that these blew out from under my caddy along with some oil or really dirty trans fluid and a chunk of the metal housing. Can any one identify these parts and where they came from so I don't have to wait till friday to see what the mechanic has to say. I'm asuming that it is the tranny or the torque converter but would like someone elses opinion just to ease my mind on the long wait to friday when they said they can look at it.

Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 93 deville problem. Can someone identify these parts :)

I think I figured it out.... notice on this LSD cut away the two gears on the sides. I don't know if I'm right but I'll let you know when I find out.
    Adam

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

thats def transmission. Why its shooting out gears is beyond me. Check to see if you still have your tranny pan.

It still has the pan I remember seeing it when I crawed under to have a look after we pushed it into a parking spot. The gears blew right through the case along with a paper thin washer. My thought was maybe the casing was cracked enabling them to push through it easer.
    Adam

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

damn , ive never seen a front drive blow spider gears stright out !

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Usually this comes from doing smoky, long, repeated burnouts....the spider gears are spinning very rapidly in oppsite directions on the shaft that they ride on in the diff. They seize on the shaft, break the shaft and spit themselves out onto the pavement........

Come on....fess up....LOL.

grin, I would love to beable to say that's how it happened but the sheer reality of it was that it happened after doing a 3 point turn and pulling out of a wawa parking lot doing at most 5 mph to come to a stop light less then 20 feet from the exit.

To think I've only had the car for a week and haven't even put 50 miles on it. I think the 90 year old lady that owned it before me must have liked drag racing or something.

I got the estimate on the damage total today. It’s going to a nice big $1800 repair bill. Apparently the spider gears were from the differential and on their way through the differential casing they damaged the final drive which sets the final rpm ratio between the axles and the transmission. The rest of the transmission is basicly all in working order although I still don't know why it happened.

Adam

shredder130 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ok that scares me, everyday after class i would do a smokey burnout for a good 20 feet until i grenaded the tranny, now i baby my brand new tranny after finding out what a bitch it was to change

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.