considering '92 Deville, need advice please
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, considering '92 Deville, need advice please in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello. I have someone trying to sell a '92 deville with 95k that sat for an undetermined amount of time. ...
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member

considering '92 Deville, need advice please

Hello. I have someone trying to sell a '92 deville with 95k that sat for an undetermined amount of time. The tranny seems to be stuck in 3rd gear, it cuts out all the time and can't make it around the block, and the check engine is on. Also, the electronics inside all have a computer script jibberish instead of real characters. I am thinking a complete tune-up and new O2 sensors should take care of the cutting out problem. I can do without the electronics for now. Is there any additive or quick fix to get the tranny working right or does it need a rebuild? It has just been flushed. It guzzles gas so I assume the cats will probably need replacing too.

Am I in over my head or are these cars worth salvaging? How much, if anything, should I offer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

Re: considering '92 Deville, need advice please

I did a quick "Edmunds" search and came up with these numbers: (trade-in)$1,361 (pvt party sale)$1,913 (dealer retail)$2,834. Of course this is subjective and relies completely on condition! It sounds too far gone to me but if you got to have it...well!
    Ask him what he wants for it. I'm sure you can find one in way better condition, there are many out there! I hope this helps. Good luck. (Try the link below for pricing)
    Paul

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1992/cad...on.1.Cadillac*

majax is offline 32V Northstar

Well i have a 93 and its done pretty good except my SSS struts are shot. The car your lookin at according to Kelly Blue Book(in my area which is north idaho) is around 2,800. As for the transmision well this is what consumerguide.com says "4T60E transmissions may drop out of drive while cruising, shift erratically, or have no second, third, or fourth gear because of a bad ground connection for the shift solenoids. Poor grounds also allow wrong gear starts. (1991-93)" I have yet to have any trany probs myself and i do know these cars will go at least to around 200,000.

daacon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville D'Elgance

I just bought a '92 a few weeks ago. (116k miles) Unlike yours there were no known issues (I had to replace front break lines and rear wheel cylinders). I paid probably fair market value for the shape and options. If the car sat for a while - check the hoses. They can get dried out and cracked. Sounds like a project car - If the price is right and you got the time go for it. Be helpfull to have someone ya trust look it over -

Me personally not mechnically inclined enough - nor do I have the time - I would spend a few more dollars. I hope to drive my '92 another 5 years at least, then sell it an buy a newer one (Love the way they drive - or should I say float)

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Chances are the bad gas milage from it is probably because of the transmission problem or why the check engine light is on but who knows.

Unless it's really cheap or you want one of those 1991-9113 DeVilles and don't mind getting a 2nd one if this one turns out to be junk I'd forget about it. It could cost you more to fix all the problems it has then it would to go out and buy one that has nothing wrong with it.

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by miishmiish
    Hello. I have someone trying to sell a '92 deville with 95k that sat for an undetermined amount of time. The tranny seems to be stuck in 3rd gear, it cuts out all the time and can't make it around the block, and the check engine is on. Also, the electronics inside all have a computer script jibberish instead of real characters. I am thinking a complete tune-up and new O2 sensors should take care of the cutting out problem. I can do without the electronics for now. Is there any additive or quick fix to get the tranny working right or does it need a rebuild? It has just been flushed. It guzzles gas so I assume the cats will probably need replacing too.

Am I in over my head or are these cars worth salvaging? How much, if anything, should I offer?

Sounds to me like all your problems are electronics related. Trans is controlled by the computer as well as the engine and the interior displays. Honestly you are dealing with a 2k car if it was perfect and unless you can fix this yourself the repair could get pricey in a big hurry leaving you in a mess.

If you buy the car first thing would be to make sure you have a good fresh strong battery. Unhook the cables for a couple minutes and hook it back up again and see what you have. If this doesnt help see if you can pull the codes from the computer and let us know what they are.

Steve B.

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

I would Pass on this 92' Try to find a Cadillac that has been taken care of and well maintained so you can enjoy the car, there are plenty of them out there.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Run, do not walk, away from that fright pig. Unless you really like a project, can do ALL the work yourself, and are not afraid of some trial and error trouble shoooting it sounds like a real disaster. If it is free it might be worth the bother......actually I would solicite bids from the owner for what THEY will pay YOU to take it away and work on it.

Some of the problems might be simple....but.....they could also be very expensive...particularily if you cannot do the work yourself. The fact that the trans doesn't work and has already been flushed indicates a possible deep seated problem. Who knows how it was run for the miles that show. The PCM could be failed and be in hard backup....that would explain the poor running and poor fuel economy. PUtting wires and plugs and O2 sensors into it without a LOT of diagnosis would be a total waste of money. O2 sensors , in particular, will not make it run poorly like that.

97Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by miishmiish
    sat for an undetermined amount of time. ?
    LOL LOL Broken for an undetermined amount of time...........

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.