Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  HotRodSaint 
#1 ·
Yes, here we go again. Since I cant find any dealer selling a good low mileage 1999 Deville BASE around my area, I'm looking at the 2000+ DeVilles. I like what Sal said about him liking the softer ride to impress clients. Now that I think of it, it makes sense. Around here, a Corvette is worthless. So you might as well have a soft riding car and feel its positivies ALL the time, instead of buying a rough riding performance monster that you can only feel its positives at 2:00 a.m. when no one is outside on the freeway. Besides, theres no law against a smooth riding car.;) Thats why I'm looking at the BASE model of these 2000+ DeVilles. (Or the DHS) I found a really nice looking DTS with navigation (which I really really really like), but its $42000 and 200 miles away from here. One reason I dont like the BASE DeVille is that it is the TRADITIONAL Cadillac, as they say, but therse not a lot of standard features, and thats not so Cadillac. I like the column shifter and hood ornament too. What you guys think?

#2 ·
I like the column shifter and the hood ornament, too. I didn't realize that the middle part of the front seat is actually a console with cupholders.

I'm biding my time, waiting for the end of the year and for a few projects of mine to catch fire. Hopefully soon, I'll be joining the Caddy owners' club.

If "Fast & Furious II" happens to feature a Prelude, I'll be sitting pretty come October or November.:banana:

#4 ·
Hey, people buy Preludes for performance. They're FWD, and Caddys are just as fast. FWD or RWD doesn't matter if your performance numbers are good. I'd rather have a 12 second FWD car than a 13 second RWD car anyday. Same for handling.

#5 ·
If you are a young guy raised on FWD stuff, then a FWD car is what comes "natural" to you. Unfortunately, you also have NO CLUE what a "REAL" car is. FWD has only served to "dilute" the driving experience. NOTHING will ever replace the feeling of driving a high-powered RWD roadster on a back country road.
FWD cars are for "steerers", RWD cars are for "drivers".

#6 ·
I want to know what the ride in a DTS is like compared to a ride in the BASE DeVille. I want the kind of ride that impresses people when they ride it, (like Sal said) inlcuding me, and I want something that absorbes potholes better than a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I just dont want to be taking turns at a 45 degree angle. :)

#7 ·
Some excellent points have been made in the past 4 posts wrt FWD/RWD, performance/luxury, and the true driving experience.

I bought the Prelude in January of 2000. I was 35 at the time. Since then:

-I spent about 16 hours adding sound-deadening to the body panels because it was too noisy to suit me.

-I put in a great Pioneer sound system with 12-disc changer, XM, and cassette.

-I had them put leather seats in because that cloth just felt too "cheap" to me.

-I upgraded the size of the tires from 205/50/16 to 205/55/16 because the ride was too harsh. Also, I only keep about 28 lbs. of air in them. Most people DOWNSIZE the tires and go with 18" rims! I can't imagine how their butts feel after a long trip. BLING BLING!

I think I grew out of the Prelude and learned my lesson. I NEVER drive fast anymore anyway, so why would I want something that corners like it's on rails, rides so rough, and has uncomfortable but firm seats? (because it looked so pretty!)

A few weeks ago my wife asked me when I was going to have my mid-life crisis. I told her to go look in the garage, it's already come and it's almost gone. I guess that means I'll only live to be 76.

DAMN I LOVE THEM DEVILLES!

#8 · (Edited)
03EscaladeAWD said:
I want to know what the ride in a DTS is like compared to a ride in the BASE DeVille. I want the kind of ride that impresses people when they ride it, (like Sal said) inlcuding me, and I want something that absorbes potholes better than a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I just dont want to be taking turns at a 45 degree angle. :)
I can tell you that my dad's new DTS is fairly soft around town. The computer is supposed to make it firmer at higher speeds, but you don't really notice because highways are usually smoother than in town. Assuming a new BASE Deville might be as soft as my '91 Fleetwood with CCR, I really cannot tell much if any difference. People might say I don't have a good opinion because I wasn't in it too long, but they absorb bumps very well. I think noise has a lot to do with perception about bumps, and you really don't hear much if any noise going over bumps and potholes with the new DTS because of all the sound insulation. Mind you, my Fleetwood is quite floaty over smoother bumps, are you confused now?;) Any car can seem harsh over bad ones.

#9 ·
03EscaladeAWD said:
I'd rather have a 12 second FWD car than a 13 second RWD car anyday.
If life was all about going straight then that'd be ok. But there's curves ahead! :halo:

I used to own a '94 Miata R package (stripper with factory Bilsteins sport suspension). It was real fun luring people into a corner at a higher rate of speed and watch them panic as they began to realize they couldn't keep up with me. But yes, I'd loose the stop light race. Big whoop!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.