97 Deville overheating and smoking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 97 Deville overheating and smoking in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, my 97 Deville has been overheating. It is blowing white smoke out of the exaust and I can ...
    NerosTail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

97 Deville overheating and smoking

Hey guys, my 97 Deville has been overheating. It is blowing white smoke out of the exaust and I can smell antifreeze. I'm thinking it's probably a head gasket. How much do you think it will cost to get it fixed? What else do you guys think it could possibly be? How much do you think it will cost? I just don't want to go to a shop and let them know I have no clue what I'm talking about and have them soak me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: 97 Deville overheating and smoking

I understand what your going through. a friend of mine is talking to me about his everyday, everytime he looks at me. The dealer is telling him $5800.00 for a new engine. we are trying to find a cheaper way. someone hinted some time ago that some bolts are probably loose and could be tightened if the head isnt cracked.

your speaking head gasket so you may be able to just tighten bolts. {hopefully}

Sorry I couldnt answer your question very well.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Sounds like headgasket to me. Thats gonna be a rebuild. Good luck with that man. thats why i drive a chevy blazer. 1700 bucks for a brand spankin new motor.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

"Thats gonna be a rebuild."

pretty much , seen numerous times where coolant that gets into the oil system and messes up main bearings , ususaly less than 4k from the head gasket change

tho im talking 6.x diesels and 2.2 chrysler turbos , northstar may be diffrent , and he may be lucky and only blew the gasket between a combsution/waterjacket seal , that would limit the ammount of coolant down to just the ammount entering past the piston rings which isnt as much , a few times in this case we got away with a headgasket job alone

at any rate he probably shouldnt run the engine till he knows what is going on

da6umpsfinest is offline Cadillac Owners Member

how many miles on it, also check you oil dipstick and see if looks like a milky substance.

NerosTail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

It has about 96,000 miles. I will have to check the dip stick next time I am outside (at work right now and car is not here) but last time I checked the oil there was no milky substance on the dipstick.

I should also note that it doesn't smoke all the time. Only for a minute when I first start it up for the first time of the day. After a few seconds, it stops smoking. And if I shut it down and start it back up, it doesn't smoke anymore. Even if it sits for a few hours, it still doesn't smoke. Only smokes for about 30 seconds on the very first startup of the day.

da6umpsfinest is offline Cadillac Owners Member

you would know if need your head gasket needs to be replaced, beside by checking the dipstick, it would run hot whenever you try to use ac/heater, and also you would notice that if you floor it, it won't go anywhere. Also it would cutoff alot. It would also be cheaper if you get a hanyes manual, and do it yourself, it's not difficult to do, it would save you thousands, if that is the problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.