Fuel pump question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Fuel pump question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Got this 88' Sedan Deville {4.5 liter} that I resently purchased for my mother inlaw. It doesnt have a gas ...
    MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Fuel pump question

Got this 88' Sedan Deville {4.5 liter} that I resently purchased for my mother inlaw. It doesnt have a gas needle to tell me how much gas is in it so she has to rely on the digital reading to tell her how many gallons are left. OK. The digital reading is always on E no matter how much gas she puts in. An off road mechanic stated it was the float on the fuel pump. I think the same thing.

The questions I need answered are:

What do you think it is

What year Devilles can I get a used fuel pump from at the junk yard, that would fit

Is there a fuse that controls the fuel reading that I should check first

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Paul Nagy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Fuel pump question

I think your mechanic is right. (Will miracles never cease?)

I would not go to a junk yard if I were you; tearing down your tank and replacing the fuel pump is a pain in the a** and not having to do it more than once a decade is worth the $250 for a new fuel pump.

Just my two cents.

Cool Re: Fuel pump question

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nagy
    I think your mechanic is right. (Will miracles never cease?)

I would not go to a junk yard if I were you; tearing down your tank and replacing the fuel pump is a pain in the a** and not having to do it more than once a decade is worth the $250 for a new fuel pump.
    Just my two cents.
    your two cents is 2004 because because it is alot of work.

I have taken down a tank before but she would be the one spending the $250.00 and the car has 233,000 + on it. So Im not sure if she wants to keep it past 1 or 2 years from now. Its just something to get her around until she can get what she really wants. I can put it in, If shes willing to get the part.

r0guenj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i just did that repair, although the float and sending unit were good (just had to replace the pump itself)

for a few hours of work and a $50 part.

i asked several mechanics before i did mine and they all quoted me $300 to $600 for parts and labor.

it's a pain but not hard to do yourself if you have the time.

Yeah, Ive done it before on another type of car. Its basically the same kind of labor. Im thinking of just getting the part from a salvage yard and spending a few hour on a weekend.

I wouldnt mind getting one from a newer car if I knew which ones fit. Its an 88' Deville 4.5L. would you happen to know what other year fuel pump would work??

Oh OK.. I looked on the computer and found that AutoZone has a new pump for $60.00 .

I looked at www.AutoZone.com

i went to autozone and after all of the parts (pump, filter, and strainer)it came out to $73.

when you do it, just double check the sending unit and the electrical connections going to the tank before you remount the tank (which i forgot to do) to eliminate any issues after putting the new pump in.

I thought all that stuff was connected to the pump.

Paul Nagy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Perhaps this is a year-of-Caddy issue? I bought my '94's new fuel pump at NAPA for just under $300, so I know I got reemed a little, but the quote I got at Auto Zone was not that much cheaper--$250 or better. NAPA could just get the pump quicker, and I needed the car back ASAP. But it was definitely an expensive part, for aftermarket.

Yeah, Its the year you have I suppose. I checked with AutoZone and your year is around $250.00

actually i forgot to check the harness coming off the car to the tank. but i really just threw everything together, thats why i suggested checking both sides (which i didn't do).

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith
    I thought all that stuff was connected to the pump.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.