Radiator Revisited: To flush or not to flush
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Radiator Revisited: To flush or not to flush in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 1990 Sedan Deville 4.5 I know there are a ton of posts on this subject allready, but I've about read ...
    MusicCity is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Radiator Revisited: To flush or not to flush

1990 Sedan Deville 4.5

I know there are a ton of posts on this subject allready, but I've about read them all. I need to address my radiator and fast. Supposedly my car has only 52,000 miles but in my mind the jury is still out. Anyways in reflecting on the other posts, alot of contradictions arise. Like the poor guy stranded in no-wheres-ville Alabama with the cakes of sealant gunking up his engine. The debate about where to put your Golden Seal or GM supplement. The sticker under my hood says to add the coolant and the supplement to the radiator. It's just something that I have to do, and do right. Should I run a hose through it? Should I replace the thermostat and what is the heads up on that?
    I'd appreciate any insight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Radiator Revisited: To flush or not to flush

Quote Originally Posted by MusicCity
    1990 Sedan Deville 4.5

I know there are a ton of posts on this subject allready, but I've about read them all. I need to address my radiator and fast. Supposedly my car has only 52,000 miles but in my mind the jury is still out. Anyways in reflecting on the other posts, alot of contradictions arise. Like the poor guy stranded in no-wheres-ville Alabama with the cakes of sealant gunking up his engine. The debate about where to put your Golden Seal or GM supplement. The sticker under my hood says to add the coolant and the supplement to the radiator. It's just something that I have to do, and do right. Should I run a hose through it? Should I replace the thermostat and what is the heads up on that?
    I'd appreciate any insight.
    Just drain and refill with fresh , premixed 50/50 coolant/distilled water.

You add the coolant supplement/sealer when you drain the system and put fresh coolant into it...the old sealant was drained out with the old coolant and it needs to be replenished.

Regarding the buildup in Alabama's case, you are not supposed to keep adding and adding the sealer continuously without draining occasionally and refreshing the coolant. If you just pound the system full of the sealer constantly it will eventually cake up the system. Putting 6 pellets in as prescribed will NOT cause that problem.

If you've read the posts in the past there shouldn't be any confusion over the GM coolant supplement pellets and the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder. THEY ARE THE SAME THING. BarsLeaks brand sealant is marketed by the same company that supplies the GM coolant supplement to GM.... So use either the GM coolant supplement pellets or the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder in the clear tube. 6 pellets is the same as 2 tubes of the BarsLeaks powder.

You put the sealer directly into the radiator of a 4.5 like yours. The posts refer to the different systems on the 4.x engines and the Northstar. The Northstar has a pressurized surge tank....your 4.5 does not. The 4.5 has the pressure cap on the radiator and a coolant recovery bottle. You should put the supplement directly into the radiator at the cap or you can loosen one of the radiator hoses and install the sealer of your choice directly into the hose before reconnecting it. This is just a short cut to pushing all the supplement pellets into the cap fitting past the trans cooler that is in the way....

If your stat is original I would replace it . A 1990 stat is way overdue for a failure. Just consider it preventive maintenance. They do wear out after 14 years.....

Forget the hose or flushing. If your system has been neglected then just drain and refill with fresh coolant and the supplement. Run that for awhile and then drain again and refill with fresh 50/50 again. This is the simplest, easiest and most effective way to "flush" a neglected system. Just do several coolant system changes weeks/months apart to clean the system out and purge all the old coolant.

MusicCity is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I appreciate your opinion. I only wrote the thread because the FSM recommends flushing the radiator. I figured it wasn't exactly rocket science to service the cooling system.

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Go ahead and replace the thermostat. Take a good look at the hoses as well whlie you have it drained.. 14 year old hoses may be nearing the end of their life.

I have one of those Presotne things in the heater line that you can connect the water hose to and flush the system. It seems to work pretty well at flushing all the old antifreeze out.

Steve B.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.