fuel gage problum
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, fuel gage problum in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have a 95 de ville and out the blue the gage broke i can fill it to the max ...
    danloc5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

fuel gage problum

i have a 95 de ville and out the blue the gage broke i can fill it to the max and it will say e blinking but whan im really on e it will tell me put fuel soon on the display but its not saying that its just the e is stuck does anyone have or had this prob. the shop said its probly the sending unit or pump

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: fuel gage problum

When a fuel gauge stays on e that usually means one of two things, an open power wire to the sender or the sender in the tank. When it stays on full that usually means no ground circuit (open ground wire) or again the sender.

Light-Zone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Carnut:

Are you refering to the analog or digital gauge? My analog gauge stays on full until about 1/4 of the tank is emptied, then the needle begins to go down. When I fill the tank full, the needle goes up, and intermittantly drops down which activates the "low fuel" message (as well as the chime), then goes back up to the full position. And then, as I already said, after about 1/4 of the fuel has been used, the needle starts dropping below the full position, and the erratic behavior stops. But of course the gauge is no longer accurate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Erratic behavior has no relationship to digital or analog displays. Given that it is erratic, I would suspect the sender in the tank or less likely, an intermittant connection. i would probably try an additional ground to the tank sender or clean the connector at the sender which usually means partial dropping of the fuel tank.

MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

what about the float? could that be bad if the digital is always on E no matter how much gas it there??

Light-Zone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you Carnut!

An update to the behavior of my fuel gauge....it is no longer bobbing up and down in and erratic way. It is simply "out of sink" so to say. When the tank is full, it stays on full until about 25% of the fuel has been used, and THEN begins to move from the F position downwards. It is in fact, consistant in it's behavior. Any ideas?

Thank you!

MusicCity is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Maybe you got some of that good ol' Louisiana Texaco gas guage stickin special.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.