Cadillac Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
13K views 75 replies 10 participants last post by  HotRodSaint 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me something about this car? Some opinions? is the car too floaty? (I really dont mind it being a land yacht. I kinda like not feeling the potholes and think it would be kinda cool to be tipping from side to side as if in a boat lol) I dont want the center console, and I want the Hood ornamant and column shifter, so bye bye 300 hp. Is the 275 hp enough accelaration? I mean I dont want any speed demon, I mostly want a big luxurious hog if I buy a car like this. I like the FWD cause its better in the snow and theres no lump. I like the 1999 model because 1)its cheaper 2)its the last year model for that generation 3)its more traditional than the current one (floaty suspension and real fins) 4)people might get mad at us for having two new Cadillacs. :rolleyes: (They'll think we're 80 years old) I dont plan on getting any 20s though, just stock. Maybe some engine work. I heard its good in a straight line, but not in the curves. Screw it! The curves by our house our extremely sharp and very bumpy with potholes, so it would be kinda fun going 50 mph on a sharp turn, at a 45 degree angle. I wouldnt feel a single pothole. So the point is dont convince me on a newer STS because I'll take the land yacht. Will I have any regrets?:

#52 ·
kcnewell said:
Leave him be Ralph.....He just can't let go of it! He has a hard time accepting that someone could be happy in a FWD car. It's totally unrealistic to think that no one is impressed by a luxury car. Mine is 12 years old, in perfect condition and always clean inside and out! I get comments all the time about what a nice car it is and how it must be nice to be able to afford one of those! The FACT of the matter is, Most people don't know a new one from a well kept ten year old ( No Micheal Jackson jokes please ) So I must agree with Sal here...People take you more seriously when the perception is that you drive a serious car. When I say serious car I don't mean from a pure performance standpoint either......One thing that Mercedes Benz says that I know to be true is..." Perception is not always reality " And a well kept luxury automobile is still impressive to most people when it's a few years old!
No arguements there either! I do think people are impressed by luxury cars, even FWD ones! So how long have you known MJ?:D

#54 ·
Brett said:
In my line of work, I've found people are more likely to think. "this guy must know what he's doing"
My point exactly.....

#55 ·
Katshot said:
OMG!!!! He's a FRIGGIN' YUPPIE!!!!
You just enphisized the difference between "old" money, and "new" money. Young guys are so insecure that they need to drive around in a car that screams "I'm successful". Take it from me, anybody with a brain knows that a guys car means NOTHING about how "successful" he is. Hell, half the Lexus's, and Cadillac's around where I work are owned by punks that live at home in or in the projects. Older mature people will look at your car and say "this guy charges too much" and that's why he's driving that car. $500-$700/month can put anybody in a new high-profile car and that's NOTHING.

Which is it gonna be here......?

On the one hand we have...." This guy charges too much " Meaning as far as I can tell.....He spent all that money on that car so he must be a crook or something.

On the other hand we have....It's a car owned by a bunch of punk kids that still live at home and $500 to $700 a month is chicken feed anyway so why would anyone be impressed?

If the car is so inexpensive that any idiot can afford it....Why would ANYONE think I overcharged them in order to aquire it?

I know, I know.......Anything to make your point! Never mind if you contradict yourself in the process and besides....It's just the internet anyway and all of these guys are so lowbrow that they'll never notice it anyway.....Hmmmmm?

Or, Did you even realize that you did it?

Could it possibly be?!?..........No, It couldn't be!

#57 ·
I think many people don't know the resale value of Caddys though..... you get get a Caddy that came off a 3-year lease, and it will look like a brand new car, for say, $25k....and what can you get new for $25k? a Camery with basic options? Now if you saw a newer Caddy, or a Camery (and the average person has no idea about the years of Caddys) then which person would you think spent the more money?

I got that with me too, although I don't have the car yet (6 days or so) I printed out a picture and showed my friends at school, besides getting a few, that's a grandpa's car, I got alot of, how the hell can you afford that?!? then when I told them how much I paid for it- $4500, they are like, wow, Dave just got his '92 Civic with more miles on it for only $600 cheaper, but look at how much more of a car you are getting, and I just say, yep, I would never want to drive a small car such as a Civic, unless I was really, really tight on money and getting 40mpg or something like that was a major issue.

About the millage, Richie (mom's boyfriend as of almost 15 years, and he picked up the car and will drive it back from Florida) he called today, and I asked him what his millage has been (onboard computer thingy) and he said around town, it is about 20mpg, with AC on...... so for a big V8, in a big car, that is plenty fine for me (supposed to get around 28mpg on the highway too)

But I will have to agree, that when someone sees a fancy/expensive car, you automatically think higher of the person.... it's just the way things are. I know if someone pulls up in a newer BMW, I think, wow, this person must be doing something right, instead of a van or Camery or something.

#59 ·
Calm down KC :rolleyes:
The point I was TRYING to make was that quite often, a salesman let's say, will drive a car that "appears" to be expensive in an effort to impress prospective clients. I'm well aware of this practice, I just laugh at it though.
As was pointed out here, driving an expensive car, or one that just "appears" to be expensive does NOT in anyway prove anything about the professional abilities of the person driving it.
But since the "appearance" is one of a person with money, successful we'll say, the prospective client could reach the undesired conclusion that this salesman is too rich for his blood, or in other words, too expensive. Again, this not necessarily the truth but since you are talking about what the "appearance" is....

GET IT NOW?

Maybe in YOUR circles, you've never seen anyone with money being FRUGAL but, in mine I see it all the time.

Oh, and BTW, just the idea that anyone worth impressing would be impressed by a 10+ year old semi-stock Cadillac (unless it was an old classic) is ridiculous and certainly doesn't add anything to your argument. :banghead:
Driving that old beast to see a client just tells 'em you're poor anyway, if I read what you're saying in this thread correctly.

I don't suppose you agree with THAT now do you?

#60 ·
Katshot said:
Oh, and BTW, just the idea that anyone worth impressing would be impressed by a 10+ year old semi-stock Cadillac (unless it was an old classic) is ridiculous and certainly doesn't add anything to your argument.
Since we are talking about a 'website designer', the first thing I would be looking for in your car is creativity. A slightly modified big black Fleetwood might lead me to consider hiring you. So would a nicely set-up CTS. But any 'classic' Cadillac stock or modified would make me hire you on the spot! :cool:

#61 ·
Katshot said:
I don't suppose you agree with THAT now do you?
No! I quite disagree. But knowing your tendancy to beat a point to DEATH! I've said all I have to say about it. We just disagree, I'm good with that!

Attachments

#63 ·
Oh, and BTW, just the idea that anyone worth impressing would be impressed by a 10+ year old semi-stock Cadillac (unless it was an old classic) is ridiculous and certainly doesn't add anything to your argument.
Is this made towards me? I don't want to start anything.... but my car is alittle over 10 years old, but it is in amazing shape, and my first car (I paid for it all too) So I am sorry if I could not afford the brand new STS that I like.......

#65 ·
NO, it was directed at KC and the point was that if you NEED to impress someone with a car, chances are you wouldn't use an old car like that. That using the logic he and Sal support, the older car would have the opposite of the desired affect.
The person that would be impressed by a 10+ year old Caddy is obviously clueless when it comes to cars so what's the point.
The conversation was supposedly about what new car would impress someone.
If we want to start talking ANY car and ANY year, this topic would explode in a million different directions.

#66 ·
Katshot said:
NO, it was directed at KC and the point was that if you NEED to impress someone with a car, chances are you wouldn't use an old car like that. That using the logic he and Sal support, the older car would have the opposite of the desired affect.
The person that would be impressed by a 10+ year old Caddy is obviously clueless when it comes to cars so what's the point.
The conversation was supposedly about what new car would impress someone.
If we want to start talking ANY car and ANY year, this topic would explode in a million different directions.

I wasn't going to say any more on this subject because you will beat it and beat it till you wear everyone out and then claim "Victory by default". But, I have to say this much.....As always you missed the underlying point because of your inability to be wrong! The point is....MOST people ( Kevin the wonderful excluded ) Don't know a well kept older car from a newer car. To the extent that it matters on an individual basis people have been known to be somewhat impressed by a NICE car regardless of the year it was built. I don't think it's so much a NEED to impress as a contributor to an overall impression of success and maturity or possibly responsibility that Sal was speaking of. I realize that the only car that could POSSIBLY EVER impress anyone is an old rear wheel drive Fleetwood ( LOL! ) And I have to apologize for not having the deeper vision to see that I should have bought one ( Instead of the car that I liked ) But alas....I, like so many others in this world am not here to please YOU! Sal was " dead on right " When he said what he said! As we all well know, I don't always agree with Sal and I MANY times do agree with you. But not this time....

The fact of the matter is, I and many others have driven our cars to business related funtions and for some reason that is obviously beyond your grasp some individuals at those funtions have made positive comments to us about our cars ( It happens all the time ) Does it make us more succesfull in our businesses? Probably not! Does it make us smarter? No! Does it help in giving an overall better impression to our clients than if we drove up in a "riced out" Civic or a tired old Z-28 or even a very late model poorly taken care of filthy car? Absolutely!! I see this all the time when I arrive at different business related functions or when I have to drive a customer or an associate somewhere. I ALWAYS get at least one comment about how nice my car is. And I assure you, These people are far from " CLUELESS " Would I lose their business if I didn't drive a nice car? No! But their overall impression of me would be slightly different than it is now. I like to present a positive overall image to my customers and people in general.....That's one of the many different reasons I bought the car in the first place. The reason I still have it after "O" These many years" is because it's a very nice car and has been and continues to be extremely dependable for me. I have not needed to buy a new car and my current one is still stylish and comfortable....

#67 ·
So what you're saying is that "most people" are so damn ignorant about cars that as long as it is shiney and has a Cadillac emblem on it, you're in like flint. Overall, I see you have a very low opinion of "most people" don't you? I don't agree at all with that but it's your opinion.
Personally, I think anytime someone says something like they bought a certain car to impress clients, I think the guy's either insecure, or he's full of crap and he REALLY bought it to massage his ego. Either way, it's fine with me. I know that 99% of all the "truely successful" people I know don't drive flashy new cars to make themselves "look" successful. They either drive what's cheap, or what's comfortable.

I just wish people would have the balls to be honest about why they buy what they buy and not just make excuses about it.
And as for whether "an old rear wheel drive Fleetwood" impresses anybody, I couldn't care less. I don't do ANYTHING to impress ANYBODY. It's NOT the fastest, most powerful, quietest, smoothest, most comfortable, most technically advanced, cheapest to operate, most reliable car on the road but none of that meant anything to me when I bought it.
I bought it because I like it, PERIOD!

#69 ·
I think this thread has seen enough..... CASE CLOSED!!!!!!

#70 ·
Aw C'mon is it really closed, oh well.........Personally, I think I am more impressed with an older car that is MINT or well cared for than a new one. Anyone can just go and buy a new car and think they are king of the road. An older cared car that looks great probably had a lot of hard work and sweat go into it. Just like everytime I see a mint Superbird, Olds w-30 or minty or restored Charger. I don't think someone is "clueless" about cars if they are impressed with an older car, they just have more appreciation. IMO

#71 ·
Ralph said:
Personally, I think I am more impressed with an older car that is MINT or well cared for than a new one.
If we are talking classic, I'm with you. But there is a period of time where a car isn't a classic, it's just used. I think design is the most important factor in making any car a classic instead of a junker. An AMC Pacer doesn't impress too many people.

#72 ·
Katshot said:
1. So what you're saying is that "most people" are so damn ignorant about cars that as long as it is shiney and has a Cadillac emblem on it, you're in like flint.

2. I see you have a very low opinion of "most people" don't you?

3. Personally, I think anytime someone says something like they bought a certain car to impress clients, I think the guy's either insecure, or he's full of crap and he REALLY bought it to massage his ego..

4. I just wish people would have the balls to be honest about why they buy what they buy and not just make excuses about it.

5. And as for whether "an old rear wheel drive Fleetwood" impresses anybody, I couldn't care less. I don't do ANYTHING to impress ANYBODY.

6. I bought it because I like it, PERIOD!

Answers....

1. What I said was, That people make comments about how nice they think my car is when they're in it or looking at it....Regardless of it's age ( Which they may or may not be aware of...) And that driving a nice well kept car is a contributing factor to your overall " impression " and it "can" make a difference

2. Individuals on a case by case basis can travel up or down on a sliding scale based on their own behavior.....Sometimes I'll have a VERY low opinion of an individual for a while and then they'll get it figured out and then MY opinion of them will improve ( or get worse )

3. I never said that I bought a car to impress clients ( But if you do it's your business. ) The ego statement is " PRICELESS " considering the source!

4. I have always been totally honest about why I bought my car...And, I have NO need to make excuses for it 'cause as I've always said.....I really like the car.

5. I could write an essay about this statement! ( But I wont ) It's self explanatory. ( If taken in context )

6. Finally!.......You made my point!

#74 ·
That's true! I can't resist responding to ridiculous, knee jerk, ultra defensive diatribe!:banghead:

I gotta admit though....It's fun! But I'm done with it now 'cause it's really starting to get old!

#75 · (Edited)
HotRodSaint said:
If we are talking classic, I'm with you. But there is a period of time where a car isn't a classic, it's just used. I think design is the most important factor in making any car a classic instead of a junker. An AMC Pacer doesn't impress too many people.
Actually, you put it well when you said there is a period when it is just used. And I believe my car is in that period. But the thing I have enjoyed doing these last few weeks is going to a couple of dealership lots after supper, and you would not believe how many people ask about my 12 year old minty Caddy. Do I have to remind you the tires were never rotated yet, and never winter driven. Sorry, now it sounds like I am bragging, I'm not, I'm just a proud owner of a "Beautiful luxury car." And a few have wanted to buy it. My point is that my car is no classic, but if it had high mileage and a few door dings, people would not be so impressed with it or ask me any questions or make cash offers. I guess I am having fun with it in a different kind of way, it does feed the ego! My car is not a classic, it is just so damn classy.

As for design being the most important factor in making a classic, I agree. I love the '89-93 styling and I have run into a few people who love them OVER a new Deville which seem very sporty. One lady at the gas station even asked me if mine was new, she obviously does not follow the car trends. Eventually this styling will be a classic, I am confident of that!

As for the AMC Pacer, well believe it or not, they are NOW considered a classic. There was one on EBay for 17,000 U.S. funds! I heard somewhere (or read in a car mag.) that for a car to be labelled a "classic" it needs to be at least 25 years old. Watch the Gremlins and Vegas in the future! Maybe I'll keep our 1980 Pontiac Phoenix a couple of years more and cash in.:D PS It's no secret, I LOVE THIS CADDY!!:cool:

#76 ·
Ralph said:
My car is not a classic, it is just so damn classy.
There are a few car's that can smoothly make that used car to classic car transition with their dignity in still tact.

I agree the '89-'93 (and the '93-'96) Fleetwoods are one of those car's. That can not be said about all '89-'96 Cadillacs though. Some of them weren't even 'classy' when they were new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.