1999 Cadillace Deville BASE - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Cadillace Deville BASE in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally posted by Katshot I don't suppose you agree with THAT now do you? No! I quite disagree. But knowing ...
    kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Originally posted by Katshot
    I don't suppose you agree with THAT now do you?
    No! I quite disagree. But knowing your tendancy to beat a point to DEATH! I've said all I have to say about it. We just disagree, I'm good with that!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Originally posted by kcnewell
    No! I quite disagree. But knowing your tendancy to beat a point to DEATH! I've said all I have to say about it. We just disagree, I'm good with that!
    I'd be surprised if you didn't say just what you did

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    Oh, and BTW, just the idea that anyone worth impressing would be impressed by a 10+ year old semi-stock Cadillac (unless it was an old classic) is ridiculous and certainly doesn't add anything to your argument.
    Is this made towards me? I don't want to start anything.... but my car is alittle over 10 years old, but it is in amazing shape, and my first car (I paid for it all too) So I am sorry if I could not afford the brand new STS that I like.......

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    No, probably me, don't worry, I turn many heads at stoplights, even with FWD!!

NO, it was directed at KC and the point was that if you NEED to impress someone with a car, chances are you wouldn't use an old car like that. That using the logic he and Sal support, the older car would have the opposite of the desired affect.
    The person that would be impressed by a 10+ year old Caddy is obviously clueless when it comes to cars so what's the point.
    The conversation was supposedly about what new car would impress someone.
    If we want to start talking ANY car and ANY year, this topic would explode in a million different directions.

NO, it was directed at KC and the point was that if you NEED to impress someone with a car, chances are you wouldn't use an old car like that. That using the logic he and Sal support, the older car would have the opposite of the desired affect.
    The person that would be impressed by a 10+ year old Caddy is obviously clueless when it comes to cars so what's the point.
    The conversation was supposedly about what new car would impress someone.
    If we want to start talking ANY car and ANY year, this topic would explode in a million different directions.

I wasn't going to say any more on this subject because you will beat it and beat it till you wear everyone out and then claim "Victory by default". But, I have to say this much.....As always you missed the underlying point because of your inability to be wrong! The point is....MOST people ( Kevin the wonderful excluded ) Don't know a well kept older car from a newer car. To the extent that it matters on an individual basis people have been known to be somewhat impressed by a NICE car regardless of the year it was built. I don't think it's so much a NEED to impress as a contributor to an overall impression of success and maturity or possibly responsibility that Sal was speaking of. I realize that the only car that could POSSIBLY EVER impress anyone is an old rear wheel drive Fleetwood ( LOL! ) And I have to apologize for not having the deeper vision to see that I should have bought one ( Instead of the car that I liked ) But alas....I, like so many others in this world am not here to please YOU! Sal was " dead on right " When he said what he said! As we all well know, I don't always agree with Sal and I MANY times do agree with you. But not this time....

The fact of the matter is, I and many others have driven our cars to business related funtions and for some reason that is obviously beyond your grasp some individuals at those funtions have made positive comments to us about our cars ( It happens all the time ) Does it make us more succesfull in our businesses? Probably not! Does it make us smarter? No! Does it help in giving an overall better impression to our clients than if we drove up in a "riced out" Civic or a tired old Z-28 or even a very late model poorly taken care of filthy car? Absolutely!! I see this all the time when I arrive at different business related functions or when I have to drive a customer or an associate somewhere. I ALWAYS get at least one comment about how nice my car is. And I assure you, These people are far from " CLUELESS " Would I lose their business if I didn't drive a nice car? No! But their overall impression of me would be slightly different than it is now. I like to present a positive overall image to my customers and people in general.....That's one of the many different reasons I bought the car in the first place. The reason I still have it after "O" These many years" is because it's a very nice car and has been and continues to be extremely dependable for me. I have not needed to buy a new car and my current one is still stylish and comfortable....

So what you're saying is that "most people" are so damn ignorant about cars that as long as it is shiney and has a Cadillac emblem on it, you're in like flint. Overall, I see you have a very low opinion of "most people" don't you? I don't agree at all with that but it's your opinion.
    Personally, I think anytime someone says something like they bought a certain car to impress clients, I think the guy's either insecure, or he's full of crap and he REALLY bought it to massage his ego. Either way, it's fine with me. I know that 99% of all the "truely successful" people I know don't drive flashy new cars to make themselves "look" successful. They either drive what's cheap, or what's comfortable.

I just wish people would have the balls to be honest about why they buy what they buy and not just make excuses about it.
    And as for whether "an old rear wheel drive Fleetwood" impresses anybody, I couldn't care less. I don't do ANYTHING to impress ANYBODY. It's NOT the fastest, most powerful, quietest, smoothest, most comfortable, most technically advanced, cheapest to operate, most reliable car on the road but none of that meant anything to me when I bought it.
    I bought it because I like it, PERIOD!

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    And as for whether "an old rear wheel drive Fleetwood" impresses anybodyPERIOD!
    It impresses the pimps.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    I think this thread has seen enough..... CASE CLOSED!!!!!!

Aw C'mon is it really closed, oh well.........Personally, I think I am more impressed with an older car that is MINT or well cared for than a new one. Anyone can just go and buy a new car and think they are king of the road. An older cared car that looks great probably had a lot of hard work and sweat go into it. Just like everytime I see a mint Superbird, Olds w-30 or minty or restored Charger. I don't think someone is "clueless" about cars if they are impressed with an older car, they just have more appreciation. IMO

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Originally posted by Ralph
    Personally, I think I am more impressed with an older car that is MINT or well cared for than a new one.
    If we are talking classic, I'm with you. But there is a period of time where a car isn't a classic, it's just used. I think design is the most important factor in making any car a classic instead of a junker. An AMC Pacer doesn't impress too many people.

1. So what you're saying is that "most people" are so damn ignorant about cars that as long as it is shiney and has a Cadillac emblem on it, you're in like flint.

2. I see you have a very low opinion of "most people" don't you?

3. Personally, I think anytime someone says something like they bought a certain car to impress clients, I think the guy's either insecure, or he's full of crap and he REALLY bought it to massage his ego..

4. I just wish people would have the balls to be honest about why they buy what they buy and not just make excuses about it.

5. And as for whether "an old rear wheel drive Fleetwood" impresses anybody, I couldn't care less. I don't do ANYTHING to impress ANYBODY.

6. I bought it because I like it, PERIOD!

Answers....

1. What I said was, That people make comments about how nice they think my car is when they're in it or looking at it....Regardless of it's age ( Which they may or may not be aware of...) And that driving a nice well kept car is a contributing factor to your overall " impression " and it "can" make a difference

2. Individuals on a case by case basis can travel up or down on a sliding scale based on their own behavior.....Sometimes I'll have a VERY low opinion of an individual for a while and then they'll get it figured out and then MY opinion of them will improve ( or get worse )

3. I never said that I bought a car to impress clients ( But if you do it's your business. ) The ego statement is " PRICELESS " considering the source!

4. I have always been totally honest about why I bought my car...And, I have NO need to make excuses for it 'cause as I've always said.....I really like the car.

5. I could write an essay about this statement! ( But I wont ) It's self explanatory. ( If taken in context )

6. Finally!.......You made my point!

For someone who swore he was DONE commenting on this subject, you got a lot to say
    I could keep you coming back to this thread as long as I wanted

That's true! I can't resist responding to ridiculous, knee jerk, ultra defensive diatribe!

I gotta admit though....It's fun! But I'm done with it now 'cause it's really starting to get old!

Originally posted by HotRodSaint
    If we are talking classic, I'm with you. But there is a period of time where a car isn't a classic, it's just used. I think design is the most important factor in making any car a classic instead of a junker. An AMC Pacer doesn't impress too many people.
    Actually, you put it well when you said there is a period when it is just used. And I believe my car is in that period. But the thing I have enjoyed doing these last few weeks is going to a couple of dealership lots after supper, and you would not believe how many people ask about my 12 year old minty Caddy. Do I have to remind you the tires were never rotated yet, and never winter driven. Sorry, now it sounds like I am bragging, I'm not, I'm just a proud owner of a "Beautiful luxury car." And a few have wanted to buy it. My point is that my car is no classic, but if it had high mileage and a few door dings, people would not be so impressed with it or ask me any questions or make cash offers. I guess I am having fun with it in a different kind of way, it does feed the ego! My car is not a classic, it is just so damn classy.

As for design being the most important factor in making a classic, I agree. I love the '89-93 styling and I have run into a few people who love them OVER a new Deville which seem very sporty. One lady at the gas station even asked me if mine was new, she obviously does not follow the car trends. Eventually this styling will be a classic, I am confident of that!

As for the AMC Pacer, well believe it or not, they are NOW considered a classic. There was one on EBay for 17,000 U.S. funds! I heard somewhere (or read in a car mag.) that for a car to be labelled a "classic" it needs to be at least 25 years old. Watch the Gremlins and Vegas in the future! Maybe I'll keep our 1980 Pontiac Phoenix a couple of years more and cash in. PS It's no secret, I LOVE THIS CADDY!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.