1999 Cadillace Deville BASE - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Cadillace Deville BASE in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally posted by HotRodSaint Nothing is more Cadillac than a BIG Fleetwood. There will likely never be another Cadillac like ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Originally posted by HotRodSaint
    Nothing is more Cadillac than a BIG Fleetwood. There will likely never be another Cadillac like it.
    Jeez, I hope that's not true... Cadillacs are supposed to be big... Aren't they?
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
    Jeez, I hope that's not true... Cadillacs are supposed to be big... Aren't they?
    I hope it's not true either, but it's been 7 years since the last BIG RWD Fleetwood and there's no signs of a proper heir yet.

Besides, the '99 Deville was the last Cadillac that had an sense of evolutionary design. So even if the make a big Caddy again, I'm not sure it will translate very well in the new 'Art and Science' design.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
    I've driven RWD's and FWD's and never felt a difference and never cared. I think it's safe to say that most people who buy Cadillac's don't notice either.. To the few who do (in comparison), then RWD is important.

I have a Corvette and I can't do a hell of a lot with it. Too many cops, too many cars.. Why have it? When I get my next Caddy, it probably wont even be a performance version. All I care about is a nice soft ride (impresses cleints) in a nice automobile... I'm not going to be swerving around corners or flying up and down ramps at 80mph... I want a car that people look at and say, "Hey. He's a successful man". Why? Because I design websites and I want potential clients to be confident that I can do a good job. If I pull up in an '89 Dodge Shadow, I'll lose their business (and respect).

I think most people drive Cadillacs as either a reward for all their hard work - and for the same reason I do. To show that they're successful - rather than speeding around turns and having the best handling, fastest car. If that's really what they want, they can easily have it elsewhere - in most cases, for half the price.

This whole FWD/RWD nonsense is getting very old. Those performance-minded like RWD - those not - don't... They just don't give a rats ass..
    OMG!!!! He's a FRIGGIN' YUPPIE!!!!
    You just enphisized the difference between "old" money, and "new" money. Young guys are so insecure that they need to drive around in a car that screams "I'm successful". Take it from me, anybody with a brain knows that a guys car means NOTHING about how "successful" he is. Hell, half the Lexus's, and Cadillac's around where I work are owned by punks that live at home in or in the projects. Older mature people will look at your car and say "this guy charges too much" and that's why he's driving that car. $500-$700/month can put anybody in a new high-profile car and that's NOTHING.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    When I pull up in an expensive car, I get respect right off the bat. Regardless of whether or not punks have expensive cars too. It's not just my imagination. If I'm driving a $50,000.00 car - how does that relate to me charging too much? Maybe a high-end Mercedes will give that impression.. Otherwise, not...

I can read people very well and I always feel more confidence from a person (when speaking about business) when I'm driving something that shows success. Like I said, if I had an Iroc-Z, or a Passat - people would tend to take me less seriously.

Believe me - I've been in situations where a couple of people and myself are talking about something I happen to be an expert at - I can answer all the questions quickly and accurately - I can explode with confidence and whatever - but if I walk into the parking lot with a crappy car - they blow it off. That's just the way it is. Regardless of whether or not punks have expensive cars too.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    It is definately a status symbol, that's what DIFFERENT cars are all about KAT. That's what the thread "jealous Stares" is all about. I actually see a lot more OLD people driving Caddies, I am about the youngest that I've seen in one. Personally when I see someone "younger" in a Caddy, I just figure it's their dad's car. I think that at this Forum, there are more younger people with Caddies that GO HERE. My Grandpa is 87 and doesn't even know what a computer is! Now I am stereotyping only younger people having computers, and I know that is wrong. So I will stop now!

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Leave him be Ralph.....He just can't let go of it! He has a hard time accepting that someone could be happy in a FWD car. It's totally unrealistic to think that no one is impressed by a luxury car. Mine is 12 years old, in perfect condition and always clean inside and out! I get comments all the time about what a nice car it is and how it must be nice to be able to afford one of those! The FACT of the matter is, Most people don't know a new one from a well kept ten year old ( No Micheal Jackson jokes please ) So I must agree with Sal here...People take you more seriously when the perception is that you drive a serious car. When I say serious car I don't mean from a pure performance standpoint either......One thing that Mercedes Benz says that I know to be true is..." Perception is not always reality " And a well kept luxury automobile is still impressive to most people when it's a few years old!

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Originally posted by kcnewell
    Leave him be Ralph.....He just can't let go of it! He has a hard time accepting that someone could be happy in a FWD car. It's totally unrealistic to think that no one is impressed by a luxury car. Mine is 12 years old, in perfect condition and always clean inside and out! I get comments all the time about what a nice car it is and how it must be nice to be able to afford one of those! The FACT of the matter is, Most people don't know a new one from a well kept ten year old ( No Micheal Jackson jokes please ) So I must agree with Sal here...People take you more seriously when the perception is that you drive a serious car. When I say serious car I don't mean from a pure performance standpoint either......One thing that Mercedes Benz says that I know to be true is..." Perception is not always reality " And a well kept luxury automobile is still impressive to most people when it's a few years old!
    No arguements there either! I do think people are impressed by luxury cars, even FWD ones! So how long have you known MJ?

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers
    Originally posted by Katshot
    "this guy charges too much"
    In my line of work, I've found people are more likely to think. "this guy must know what he's doing"

Originally posted by Brett
    In my line of work, I've found people are more likely to think. "this guy must know what he's doing"
    My point exactly.....

OMG!!!! He's a FRIGGIN' YUPPIE!!!!
    You just enphisized the difference between "old" money, and "new" money. Young guys are so insecure that they need to drive around in a car that screams "I'm successful". Take it from me, anybody with a brain knows that a guys car means NOTHING about how "successful" he is. Hell, half the Lexus's, and Cadillac's around where I work are owned by punks that live at home in or in the projects. Older mature people will look at your car and say "this guy charges too much" and that's why he's driving that car. $500-$700/month can put anybody in a new high-profile car and that's NOTHING.

Which is it gonna be here......?

On the one hand we have...." This guy charges too much " Meaning as far as I can tell.....He spent all that money on that car so he must be a crook or something.

On the other hand we have....It's a car owned by a bunch of punk kids that still live at home and $500 to $700 a month is chicken feed anyway so why would anyone be impressed?

If the car is so inexpensive that any idiot can afford it....Why would ANYONE think I overcharged them in order to aquire it?

I know, I know.......Anything to make your point! Never mind if you contradict yourself in the process and besides....It's just the internet anyway and all of these guys are so lowbrow that they'll never notice it anyway.....Hmmmmm?

Or, Did you even realize that you did it?

Could it possibly be?!?..........No, It couldn't be!

Originally posted by Ralph
    So how long have you known MJ?
    Apparently......Not as long as you.....

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    I think many people don't know the resale value of Caddys though..... you get get a Caddy that came off a 3-year lease, and it will look like a brand new car, for say, $25k....and what can you get new for $25k? a Camery with basic options? Now if you saw a newer Caddy, or a Camery (and the average person has no idea about the years of Caddys) then which person would you think spent the more money?

I got that with me too, although I don't have the car yet (6 days or so) I printed out a picture and showed my friends at school, besides getting a few, that's a grandpa's car, I got alot of, how the hell can you afford that?!? then when I told them how much I paid for it- $4500, they are like, wow, Dave just got his '92 Civic with more miles on it for only $600 cheaper, but look at how much more of a car you are getting, and I just say, yep, I would never want to drive a small car such as a Civic, unless I was really, really tight on money and getting 40mpg or something like that was a major issue.

About the millage, Richie (mom's boyfriend as of almost 15 years, and he picked up the car and will drive it back from Florida) he called today, and I asked him what his millage has been (onboard computer thingy) and he said around town, it is about 20mpg, with AC on...... so for a big V8, in a big car, that is plenty fine for me (supposed to get around 28mpg on the highway too)

But I will have to agree, that when someone sees a fancy/expensive car, you automatically think higher of the person.... it's just the way things are. I know if someone pulls up in a newer BMW, I think, wow, this person must be doing something right, instead of a van or Camery or something.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    Come to think of it, I have been in a minor slump ever since I bought that damn Prelude...

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Calm down KC
    The point I was TRYING to make was that quite often, a salesman let's say, will drive a car that "appears" to be expensive in an effort to impress prospective clients. I'm well aware of this practice, I just laugh at it though.
    As was pointed out here, driving an expensive car, or one that just "appears" to be expensive does NOT in anyway prove anything about the professional abilities of the person driving it.
    But since the "appearance" is one of a person with money, successful we'll say, the prospective client could reach the undesired conclusion that this salesman is too rich for his blood, or in other words, too expensive. Again, this not necessarily the truth but since you are talking about what the "appearance" is....

GET IT NOW?

Maybe in YOUR circles, you've never seen anyone with money being FRUGAL but, in mine I see it all the time.

Oh, and BTW, just the idea that anyone worth impressing would be impressed by a 10+ year old semi-stock Cadillac (unless it was an old classic) is ridiculous and certainly doesn't add anything to your argument.
    Driving that old beast to see a client just tells 'em you're poor anyway, if I read what you're saying in this thread correctly.

I don't suppose you agree with THAT now do you?

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Oh, and BTW, just the idea that anyone worth impressing would be impressed by a 10+ year old semi-stock Cadillac (unless it was an old classic) is ridiculous and certainly doesn't add anything to your argument.
    Since we are talking about a 'website designer', the first thing I would be looking for in your car is creativity. A slightly modified big black Fleetwood might lead me to consider hiring you. So would a nicely set-up CTS. But any 'classic' Cadillac stock or modified would make me hire you on the spot!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.