1999 Cadillace Deville BASE - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Cadillace Deville BASE in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; kc makes good points. 90% of the drivers out there probably couldn't tell the difference. 40% probably don't even KNOW ...
    Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    kc makes good points. 90% of the drivers out there probably couldn't tell the difference. 40% probably don't even KNOW whether their own car is FWD or RWD.

Here's my take. GM RWD cars from the 80's had the softest, smoothest, EASIEST steering. I LOVED them. One finger could do the job. Since the 90's steering has become tighter, more responsive, and it's harder to turn the wheel. Some of it probably has to do with a departure from the "circulating ball" but I'm not an expert in these matters so I won't try to speculate.

I notice "plowing" with FWD cars. I don't drive "hard" but it was very noticable on my '97 Acura RL. Mom's '79 and '82 Eldorados were pathetic when it came to handling, but the ride was so smooth, who cared?

My Prelude doesn't have any of these problems, but a lot of extra engineering went into it. Honda even designed what they call "ATTS" (automatic torque transfer system) for the "Type SH" Preludes to throw more power to the outside wheel in a turn to help pull you through it.

My driveway has a steep 75-foot hill. Maybe one day out of the year it gets icy and I have a tough time climbing it. I owned two Acura Legends, a '87 and a '90. Neither had any trouble with it. My '97 RL had a weight distribution of about 54/46 and couldn't even handle slush or snow. My '00 Prelude beats them all, and it has weight distribution of 61/39.

The downside on ice is that with very little weight in the back, the rear-ends of these cars are more likely to "float" when cornering too fast on ice. Fortunately, since there's no power to those back wheels they usually come back in line relatively quickly.

Still, I'll always prefer RWD.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Originally posted by kcnewell
    ......I made the accurate point that MOST people don't care at all whether the thing is FWD or RWD ( Myself included ) It's just the way it is. Most people don't even know the differences between the two platforms and I don't think it has had as much to do with the marketing problems as say the HT 4100 or the fabulous V 8-6-4 engines that were well known failures and easy for the average guy to see the problems with. If I had a choice today of FWD/RWD platforms in an American made luxury car I'd still choose the car that I liked with NO regard to whether it was a pusher or a puller.
    If that's true (and I don't believe it is), then GM has, is, and is about to spend a HELL OF A LOT OF MONEY shifting Cadillac's product line back to RWD for nothing.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    At least RWD is cheaper to fix in the long run. But it's true that when the roads are clear, it doesn't matter to most people which they have. I don't think KC is on the offensive, he doesn't really care if it is FWD or RWD. He got what he got, and I ate beef yesterday and probably GOT a case of Mad Cow comming on! LOL

03EscaladeAWD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Will a 96 Fleetwood be as good in the snow as a 2000+ DTS?

Stock vs. stock? Probably not. But just the addition of some extra weight in the trunk of the Fleetwood will come close to evening up the difference, and the addition of snow radials will more than make up the difference.
    To be honest, in the hands of even a mediocre driver, the Fleetwood will do just fine in the snow.
    If you want to see some interesting stuff, go look at the body shops after a good snow and see what's there. A few years ago when there were just about even numbers of FWD and RWD cars on the road, you'd see far more FWD cars in the body shops after a snow because once they start to slide, most people can't recover the car, and the FWD cars tend to "under-steer" which is what causes a large number to "drift" off of turns and/or tight corners. The other problem has always been that if you even slide a FWD car into a curb, you can do some rather severe damage to them as compared to a RWD car in the same situation.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    FWD/RWD makes no difference when the guy behind the wheel can't drive!

I think overall FWD is a "simpler" car to drive in various road conditions. Between it and ABS the car companies have damn near made driving idiot-proof.

Sad, actually

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    Originally posted by Katshot
    I think overall FWD is a "simpler" car to drive in various road conditions. Between it and ABS the car companies have damn near made driving idiot-proof.

Sad, actually
    Don't forget about traction control.... and in some cases ones that you can't turn off

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Originally posted by Katshot

Sad, actually
    Well then, there must still be a lot of idiots out there then. You can put all the safety and handling devices and technology in cars to make them safer and idiot-proof and there are still more accidents every year. There is no substitute for experience. IMO. When I learned to drive it was with RWD. Then I had a FWD for 14 years and you do have to "re-adjust" to the different handling quirks, especially on snow or ice. But in the end, if everyone would just slowdown and grow some logic and brains there will be fewer accidents.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    I've driven RWD's and FWD's and never felt a difference and never cared. I think it's safe to say that most people who buy Cadillac's don't notice either.. To the few who do (in comparison), then RWD is important.

I have a Corvette and I can't do a hell of a lot with it. Too many cops, too many cars.. Why have it? When I get my next Caddy, it probably wont even be a performance version. All I care about is a nice soft ride (impresses cleints) in a nice automobile... I'm not going to be swerving around corners or flying up and down ramps at 80mph... I want a car that people look at and say, "Hey. He's a successful man". Why? Because I design websites and I want potential clients to be confident that I can do a good job. If I pull up in an '89 Dodge Shadow, I'll lose their business (and respect).

I think most people drive Cadillacs as either a reward for all their hard work - and for the same reason I do. To show that they're successful - rather than speeding around turns and having the best handling, fastest car. If that's really what they want, they can easily have it elsewhere - in most cases, for half the price.

This whole FWD/RWD nonsense is getting very old. Those performance-minded like RWD - those not - don't... They just don't give a rats ass..
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    ANYWAY. The '99 Base Model DeVille is fine.. Just buy it...

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    The increasing number of accidents is due to cell phones and cupholders.

Seat belt laws, tighter DUI enforcement, and under-18 curfews don't seem to have any effect, do they?

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
    I've driven RWD's and FWD's and never felt a difference and never cared. I think it's safe to say that most people who buy Cadillac's don't notice either.. To the few who do (in comparison), then RWD is important.......

This whole FWD/RWD nonsense is getting very old. Those performance-minded like RWD - those not - don't... They just don't give a rats ass..

I think that sums it up perfectly!

Somebody oughta close this thread....

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Originally posted by kcnewell
    Somebody oughta close this thread....
    Not so fast Sparky. No one metioned the superior towing capacity of the RWD Fleetwood.

I didn't buy a '96 Fleetwood for it's prowess on the road circuits. Frankly, a large land yacht isn't the platform to start with to build a road racer (although my car handles well now).

One of the important factors that entered into my purchase decision, was it's standard 5000lb towing capacity. That's more than sufficient for towing a few toys around. And it's so much classier to arrive at the river in a Cadillac than in a pickem up truck.

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
    So? Which will I be happiest with? The 91 Fleetwoood, the 96 Fleetwood, or the 99 Deville? Japan is a leader of ship building for water but America is the leader of ship building for land!
    For design, it'd be a toss-up between the '99 and the '96 ('95).

For aftermarket parts support, the '96.

For daily drivability, probably the '99.

Check the trunks. Surprisingly, this is one of the few weak spots I feel the Fleetwood has. It has a high lift over and the spare tire isn't mounted under the floor.

If you want respect from your elders though, get the Fleetwood. Nothing is more Cadillac than a BIG Fleetwood. There will likely never be another Cadillac like it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.