1999 Cadillace Deville BASE - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Cadillace Deville BASE in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The '91 Fleetwood Brougham was a classic design that had been in place since '77. Dad had a '77, '81 ...
    Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    The '91 Fleetwood Brougham was a classic design that had been in place since '77. Dad had a '77, '81 (cdv), and then an '84. They were all DeVilles, but still the same body, frame, and engine that the Fleetwood had, they were just missing a few interior perks.

Believe it or not, there are still several early 90's Broughams out there with less than 50,000 miles. I see one pop up on eBay about once every other month. If you really want one, be patient. It's worth it.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Originally posted by Elvis
    The '91 Fleetwood Brougham was a classic design that had been in place since '77. Dad had a '77, '81 (cdv), and then an '84. They were all DeVilles, but still the same body, frame, and engine that the Fleetwood had, they were just missing a few interior perks.

Believe it or not, there are still several early 90's Broughams out there with less than 50,000 miles. I see one pop up on eBay about once every other month. If you really want one, be patient. It's worth it.
    To be honest, the '92 Fleetwood Brougham is a GREAT car. We had enormous success with them. They were a little down on power but EXTREMELY reliable cars as a whole.

Originally posted by kcnewell
    Personally, I like the looks of the DeVille WAY better! And regardless of opinions to the contrary FWD/RWD BOTH have their strong points!.......So, It's very subjective I.M.O.

We're allowed to have an opinion here....Right?
    .......FWD/RWD BOTH have their strong points!......

Ok, so lets hear the "strong points" for the FWD
    Here's your chance slick!

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    RWD SUCKS in ice and snow
    FWD is nice in ice and snow
    I kinda like the flat floor in the cockpit
    RWD is fine and so is FWD There are handling differences but in the real world of everyday driving they're neglegable. In drag racing FWD has major limitations but in reality how many people drag race their Cadillacs? I race from time to time but it always seems to be from a rolling start in which case FWD/RWD is irrelevant....My car is fast so is yours! The dreaded torque steer that everyone complains about takes about 5 minutes to get used to and then It's irrelevant!
    I'm not that concerned with it. If Cadillac made a nice looking powerful car with RWD that would be nice and I would probably buy one....They don't! I'll continue to buy and be happy with FWD untill they build a RWD that suits me. Hope that's good enough for you....It's all I have to say about it.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Well done KC!! Yeah torque steer is nothing once you are used to it, besides you don't get snow or ice in Liberal surfer land!

They're better on snow/ice?

That's it?!

Ok that's one thing. But I'm betting you don't see much of that stuff in your area do you The mention of a "flat" floor is not really factual since the floor REALLY isn't flat. Especially when compared to the "OLD" FWD cars. I didn't see anything else "positive" in your post about FWD though. Matter of fact, you even managed to bring up a draw-back of the system, go figure
    You're letting me down man.

I think you just proved that the only thing "subjective" about choosing between FWD and RWD Caddys is the styling.
    The drivetrains have DEFINATE differences and I believe RWD only yields to FWD when substantial amounts of snow/ice driving is an issue.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers
    Because of the way most Cadillac's are driven, I really don't think it matters. My experience would be no different with my SLS if it had RWD or AWD or 1 WD

Originally posted by Brett
    Because of the way most Cadillac's are driven, I really don't think it matters. My experience would be no different with my SLS if it had RWD or AWD or 1 WD

This is my point...

03EscaladeAWD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Well, why is front drive better in the snow? I have heard it is because of the engines weight. (Course ricer engines weigh about as much as a wheel so FWD on Hondas dont help much if this true) Well, the whole car weighs 4500ish lbs right? Theres enough weight on the back wheels, so it wouldnt be THAT bad, right? And what about BMWs with their 50/50 weight distribution. Would it matter if it was FWD or RWD? Another thing I heard was that FWD is better because it is easier to pull a car than it is to push one.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    I think FWD is better in the snow becuase it pulls.... if it is wet/slippery outside, and you turn the wheel and go, the front wheels will pull the car in that direction, with RWD, if the front wheels don't have traction.good traction, then it will just push the front wheels no matter what.

overall, I hate front drive, and I hate engines mounted sideways.

front drive is just not cool..... you can't do many mods and get real nice results becuase of the weight thing, it is pointless to do a burnout in a front drive car, besides looking stupid, anyone with a 90hp Honda can do one (lets see, pull e-brake and hit the gas) in general I don't like front drive. (car also get's totaled more easy in a accident)

and I just hate engines mounted sideways, it dosn't look cool, it makes even a V8 look weak. you don't get the cool tourqe movement that makes the car "shake" to the right when you race it, harder to work on, usually more tight on space and it is just not cool.

I also don't like uni-bodys..... dunno why, I keep having a belief that they are not as strong and sturdy as a body-on-frame. and it seems to me if a car was in a accident, it would be harder to fix with a uni-body.

I know my car has all 3 of these things.... that is the only thing I really dislike about the car, that and the fact that there are no performance parts for the 4.9.

but here is how I see it, if I really wanted to race or something, it wouldn't be in my Caddy, I would get a little 2 seater sports car with a 5speed, rear drive, used (cheap) and really mod it out (Miata's would be real nice for that) so most of these end up becoming irrelevant

Panther,
    So I take it you think FWD is NOT COOL LOL!!!!

You may not know why, but most of what you said is right.
    FWD is generally better in snow because:
    1. Most FWD cars have the majority of their weight over the drive wheels
    2. The drive wheels are also the STEERING wheels so directional stability is easier to maintain in low traction situations (like snow).

Everything else you mentioned is generally the truth although most guys here (being FWD owners) would rather overlook them.

Originally posted by Katshot

Everything else you mentioned is generally the truth although most guys here (being FWD owners) would rather overlook them.
    Kevin, We all know YOU'RE obsessed with it...But honestly, MOST guys ( Myself included ) Couldn't care less! It does the job.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
    Well, why is front drive better in the snow? I have heard it is because of the engines weight. (Course ricer engines weigh about as much as a wheel so FWD on Hondas dont help much if this true) Well, the whole car weighs 4500ish lbs right? Theres enough weight on the back wheels, so it wouldnt be THAT bad, right? And what about BMWs with their 50/50 weight distribution. Would it matter if it was FWD or RWD? Another thing I heard was that FWD is better because it is easier to pull a car than it is to push one.
    5 months of the year we have snow and ice (and lots of corrosive salt!) And you are correct, FWD is only good in the stuff if you have enough weight over the drive wheels. My better half had a Chevy Sprint and got stuck in about 3 inches of snow! I had to get my FWD V6 to push her out. My friend who has a new Civic 4 door said it was very terrifying going down the University bridge every day during the winter, the light cars just drift all over where you don't point them. Another funny thing was all of the Civic bumpers on the bridge when it was -35 because of the cold they just cracked right off the cars! (with impact from other cars of course) But I did have traction issues with my 4000 lb. Grand Marquis. I'll take a V6 (at least) and FWD where I live anyday. Another issue was the fact that I NEVER had to rotate the tires on the RWD Merc, whereas the FWD tires wore faster on the front! (sorry KC)

Originally posted by kcnewell
    Kevin, We all know YOU'RE obsessed with it...But honestly, MOST guys ( Myself included ) Couldn't care less! It does the job.
    It's not a matter of being "obsessed" KC. The guy asked the question about the two drivetrains, somebody made an "off-cuff" remark about FWD vs. RWD performance, and I posted some accurate facts about the two platforms. I invited you to elaborate on the comment you made about how both platforms "have their strong points" and you came up with the old "FWD is better in snow". I was hoping for a little more than that. You and some others here tend to passively (and sometimes actively) support FWD as a "superior" platform when the facts just don't support that as truth.
    And I'm sorry that I don't accept the statement that you "couldn't care less", or "it does the job". The fact is that you and most others would in fact choose a RWD platform if you HAD a choice. But since Cadillac forced FWD on you, you choose to accept it.

I made the comment kind of tongue in cheek earlier about how Cadillacs are "supposed" to be BIG and RWD but I think it really is true. I'll always believe that Cadillac's downfall started when they embraced FWD, and they will not rise again until it's eliminated (or at least relegated to a very minor status in the model line).

I don't support it as superior nor do I particularly think it's inferior. I just think that under MOST driving conditions, It doesn't matter at all. I know that 99.999% of the time that I don't notice the difference or even care! I've had my Seville a long time and if I could go back tomorrow to the day I bought it I'd buy the same car again. If I were buying a new car tomorrow I'd MOST likely buy a Deville DTS (FWD) Because I like the car not because it's either FWD/RWD or whatever....

I made the accurate point that MOST people don't care at all whether the thing is FWD or RWD ( Myself included ) It's just the way it is. Most people don't even know the differences between the two platforms and I don't think it has had as much to do with the marketing problems as say the HT 4100 or the fabulous V 8-6-4 engines that were well known failures and easy for the average guy to see the problems with. If I had a choice today of FWD/RWD platforms in an American made luxury car I'd still choose the car that I liked with NO regard to whether it was a pusher or a puller.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.