P0410 & Loud Whine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, P0410 & Loud Whine in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've been noticing a loud whine on my 01 Cadillac Deville at cold startup. Last night, the service engine light ...
    afroney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

P0410 & Loud Whine

I've been noticing a loud whine on my 01 Cadillac Deville at cold startup. Last night, the service engine light came on with code P0410. I did some research, and it sounds like the loud whine and P0410 are indication of an AIR system issue.

Does the AIR system affect the drivablity of the car? I live in a state that does not mandate any inspections, and I don't really give a damn about the emissions system on the car. I'll put up with the noise and the code if this problem only affects emissions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Exclamation Re: P0410 & Loud Whine

Kind of sounds like a vacuum cleaner on start up. It is located on the front lower drivers side of the car.

The secondary air injection (AIR) pump used on this vehicle lower tail pipe emissions during start-up. The AIR system consists of the following items:

• The AIR pump

• The shut-off valves

• The vacuum control solenoid valve

• The system hoses and piping

• The AIR relay, the fuses, and the related wiring

The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the AIR relay in order to control the AIR pump. The PCM also controls the AIR vacuum control solenoid valve that supplies vacuum to the AIR shut-off valves. With the AIR system inactive, the AIR shut-off valves prevent air flow in either direction. With the AIR system active, the PCM applies ground to the AIR relay, and the vacuum control solenoid valve. Fresh air flows from the pump, through the system hoses, past the shut-off valves, and into the exhaust stream. The air helps the catalyst quickly reach normal working temperature; thus lowering the tail pipe emissions on a start-up. The PCM tests the AIR system for the following conditions:

• AIR System (Overall system including both banks, and results in DTC P0410)

• AIR System Bank 1 (DTC P1415)

• AIR System Bank 2 (DTC P1416)

• AIR Relay (DTC P0418)

• AIR Vacuum Control Solenoid (DTC P0412)

The PCM runs two tests to diagnose the AIR system: Passive, and Active. Both tests involve a response from the fuel control HO2 sensors (HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1 and HO2S Bank 2 Sensor 2). If both passive tests pass, the PCM takes no further action. If either part of the passive test fails, or is inconclusive, the PCM initiates the Active tests. If the PCM determines that the HO2S voltages did not respond as expected during the tests, the DTC will set. For further information concerning the AIR System and system tests, refer to Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Description .

That being said...there is a TSB for water getting into the air pump. There is a newer style hose available.

Subject: Service Engine Soon (SES)/Check Engine Light MIL Illuminated, Secondary Air Injection Reaction (AIR) Pump Ingesting Water, DTC P0410 Set (Replace Secondary Air Pump/Inlet Hose Assembly or Filter Kit) #02-06-04-024G - (06/05/2006)

Models: 2000-2003 Cadillac DeVille

2001-2002 Cadillac Eldorado

2001-2004 Cadillac SLS, STS

2001-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora

with 3.5L V6, 4.0L or 4.6L V8 Engine (VINs H, C, Y, 9 -- RPOs LX5, L47, LD8, L37)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the model year for Cadillac DeVille, parts usage information and enhance the bulletin content. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-024F (Section 6 - Engine).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
    Some customers may comment on the "Service Engine Soon" (U.S.) or "Check Engine Soon" (Canada) malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) being illuminated.

Technicians may find these additional conditions:

• DTC P0410 set.

• Evidence of water in the Secondary Air Injection Reaction (AIR) Pump.

• Secondary AIR Pump shorted out/inoperative.

Cause
    This condition may be due to water being ingested at the secondary air injection reaction (AIR) pump inlet hose, causing the pump to short out or seize up.

Diagnostic Information
    DTC P0410
    Refer to SI for diagnostic information on DTC P0410.

If the diagnostic information above indicates a faulty AIR pump, follow the correction procedure below.

Notice: After the service procedure in this bulletin was been completed, the Secondary Air Injection Shut-Off valve(s) must be checked. A stuck valve (from carbon) can cause exhaust condensation to collect in the air pump causing a repeat non-function AIR pump.

Correction
    Aurora and DeVille
    Notice: A new Secondary AIR pump and Inlet hose assembly (kit), P/N 19515548 , is now available and must be installed if the AIR pump is replaced. Non-replacement and re-routing of the AIR pump inlet hose when servicing the AIR pump may result in a repeat non-function AIR pump from water ingestion.

Logan Diagnostic LLC
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Re: P0410 & Loud Whine

Quote Originally Posted by afroney View Post
    I've been noticing a loud whine on my 01 Cadillac Deville at cold startup. Last night, the service engine light came on with code P0410. I did some research, and it sounds like the loud whine and P0410 are indication of an AIR system issue.

Does the AIR system affect the drivablity of the car? I live in a state that does not mandate any inspections, and I don't really give a damn about the emissions system on the car. I'll put up with the noise and the code if this problem only affects emissions.
    If you can live with the check engine light on all the time then don't sweat it. The AIR pump is a common problem up to mid-2001 model years because of an inlet design that lets them take on water. They have a revised inlet tube if you decide to replace it. The motor itself is directly in front of the left front wheel. If you drop the sight shield from underneath you'll see the bottom of the motor. You can just unplug it.

Jim

risho is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville DHS

I recently pulled this code but I am not getting a check engine light, but in the instrument panel it said "P0410 CURRENT" wjem I did the self diag test, would this cause my sporadic rough idle I get here in there when warming up the engine in the morning?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

It probably needs the TSB done. As stated these can ingest water and fry the pump, sounds like that is where you are.
    I know you don't care much whether or not the rest of us can breathe, but there are other things to take into account. Ignoring the AIR system will eventually cause major damage to the converter. No it won't cause your car to run badly, but if it is running badly you are causing more damage.

If you don't care about the air we breathe or a light on your dash that is telling you something is wrong then think if you wallet.
    If you don't fix it now it will cost you more money in the long run.

I definitely want to change it, but what I found strange is I found no check engine light at all only reason I thought something was wrong was my rough idle here and there and the info the self diag test gave me, just strange to me but something I'm adding to my "to-do" list I dont like to have any codes in general so dont worry everyone will be breathing easier soon

jrod69er is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This is because the P0410 code must be triggered twice before the Check Engine Light will come on. This is to avoid any false alarms. This code will be stored for a set amount of time (of which I'm unsure how long) until this code is triggered again or until the time threshold has been reached (at which point, the code is erased). You probably caught this error at the point of initial failure, which at this point means that the system has not yet verified the it..... and could, also, mean that perhaps nothing is wrong.

What is strange is I still hear a loud groaning/motor noise from the bottom left(in front of the left tire), for about a min or so when warming my car up in the morning then it just goes away, it sounds similar to my friends old 540 that had a bad air pump, would it be possible for the pump to work and still get this code because of other reasons like a check valve, etc?

There are 2 check valves on the engine, they have vacuum lines attached that are controlled by a solenoid.
    If the vacuum lines come off the code can set even if the pump works.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    There are 2 check valves on the engine, they have vacuum lines attached that are controlled by a solenoid.
    If the vacuum lines come off the code can set even if the pump works.
    Do both vacuum lines run to the pump? If not are they easily accessible through the engine bay I'd like to see if this could be an easy fix for me...need to get the car inspected soon and I'm sure it wont pass with this code

The check valves and vacuum lines are on the top of the engine.
    One check valve is towards the front, just over the top of the water pump.
    The other is over the center of the rear valve cover (usually).
    If you remove the engine beauty cover you should be able to see the solenoid and the lengths of tubing that go to the check valves, be sure they are unbroken and all connected.

Terry s is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

I believe the AIR pump is in front of the driver side front wheel.
    Does (kit), P/N 19515548 contain a new AIR pump and what is involved to install it?
    Thanks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

For YOUR car, look it up in www.gmpartsdirect.com - your car, year, model, system - open the text page, "more info" opens the parts blowup. Talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>> tomorrow morning, business hours EDT.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Terry.

Pretty straight froward once you see it. You'll need to remove the lower air diverter. When I did mine I also removed the forward wheel house panel. Just remember that there is a hidden bolt behind the air pump that requires the Braille method to R&R.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Here's a picture of its location:

There are easier ways to access it than to hit a police car and tear the left side of the car open, though.
    MoistCabbage likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.