91 DeVille Hesitation problem (again)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 91 DeVille Hesitation problem (again) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just bought a nice 91 DeVille with 60K. Idles a bit rough so I had it checked at a Goodyear ...
    Bill62inphx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

91 DeVille Hesitation problem (again)

Just bought a nice 91 DeVille with 60K. Idles a bit rough so I had it checked at a Goodyear dealer. They changed plugs, fuel filter, ran diagnostics, and couldn't find anything. Took it to the mountains and it ran beautifully -- until I was almost home, on freeway, when it started hesitating like it was out of gas -- nearly had to call AAA. Limped on home, put some STP in the tank, and seems OK. Still idles rough and seems to hesitate at times. I tried the WOT test and it accelerated fine. I'm OK with it today, but my confidence isn't high. I don't want this to happen again on the next road trip. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 91 DeVille Hesitation problem (again)

Maybe fuel injectors a little clogged, or worn-out fuel pump? How about the coil? I wouldn't think a clogged cat converter with your mileage. I heard a collapsed (internally) muffler MIGHT cause that but I can't confirm.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Keep me informed with what happens, I'm kinda in the same boat with my truck.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

I have a hesitation problem with my 1990 Deville too every once in awhile. What it does is when you hit the gas it doesn't do anything and then all of sudden it takes off. Its kinda annoying but hey there's a lot of things with the car that are annoying!

Thanks! I talked to the Goodyear mechanic who serviced it, mentioning injectors, fuel pump, & coil. He said everything on PCM came up normal. He changed plugs without charge due to his own frustration -- no improvement. Car hesitating more than ever. It sure feels like a fuel problem. Can injectors be failing without the PCM detecting this? thanks again.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

First Blackout, that may be a throttle problem. Second, bill, Change the fuel filter. It causes a lot of problems.

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

did you have your plugs only changed? if so it may be the sparkplug wires i had a bad wire connection on a set and it caused a hesitation problem every once and a while. put old wires back on and it runs fine now. try that then take it from there.

Just the plugs were changed. The wires sure don't look new either "ACDELCO Premium Silicon 8mm". Looks like something even I could do this weekend and definitely worth trying before turning it over to a Cadillac dealer$$$. Thanks much.

Good idea. It was changed a month ago, right before I took this car, which had obviously sat in some old man's garage for awhile, on an unplanned back-road adventure no doubt shaking up the tank and everything else. Could easily have clogged again. Thanks much!

Murray MacKenzie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill62inphx
    Just bought a nice 91 DeVille with 60K. Idles a bit rough so I had it checked at a Goodyear dealer. They changed plugs, fuel filter, ran diagnostics, and couldn't find anything. Took it to the mountains and it ran beautifully -- until I was almost home, on freeway, when it started hesitating like it was out of gas -- nearly had to call AAA. Limped on home, put some STP in the tank, and seems OK. Still idles rough and seems to hesitate at times. I tried the WOT test and it accelerated fine. I'm OK with it today, but my confidence isn't high. I don't want this to happen again on the next road trip. Any ideas?
    Just cured identical problem. Cam position sensor faulty. Error code 41

Murray

Murray MacKenzie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just cured identical problem. Cam position sensor faulty. Error code 41.Located in/near distributor. Murray

ChiMick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had the problem where I would press the gas at a stoplight and for a fraction of a second nothing would happen- the natural instinct is to press down MORE on the throttle and then it would take off like a dragster!

I sprayed all of the throttle linkage and anything that looked like it might move in the area of the throttle body with tri-flow lubricant just before going off on a trip this weekend and the car seems to be smoother running all around... I figure something was binding, but I can't tell you what.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray MacKenzie
    Just cured identical problem. Cam position sensor faulty. Error code 41.Located in/near distributor. Murray
    Thanks a lot! I'll definitely give this a try.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.