1996 DeVille Rear Suspension
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1996 DeVille Rear Suspension in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi: Haven't posted in awhile, however I have a quick question about the rear air suspension. The car used to ...
    chris1761 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Sedan DeVille

1996 DeVille Rear Suspension

Hi: Haven't posted in awhile, however I have a quick question about the rear air suspension. The car used to be completely level when I purchased it last year, however it seems to be sagging a little in the rear. I had the key on, engine off the other day, and loaded something in the trunk, and heard a buzzing noise from the rear, as I think the air ride motor/pump was trying to inflate the rear shocks, however it didn't sound too good, and went off after about 15 seconds, and didn't raise the rear end up. I have the factory service manual, however I always like to post here to see if there are common problems/quick solutions for these issues, i.e. a relay, control module, etc. Also, if it is a certain part, sometimes forum members may have an extra used one they are willing to sell, to avoid paying the high $$$$ that the dealer charges. Any help or suggestions are welcomed, as the factory manual appears to require special tools to diagnose this situation........

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1996 DeVille Rear Suspension

Chris,
    Sounds like the compressor is working fine. I'd get under it and look at the air lines. You may find one broken or chaffed. If you can't find a leak, spray all the fittings with soapy water when the compressor is running.

LCLCLC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

Every time the car is started, the rear air suspension does a 'self check'. The compressor comes on and raises the car a little, then it exhausts air to lower it to the correct height. That is what you are hearing.

To check this, just turn the key to 'Run' and wait a few seconds. You will then hear this check.

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Mr

Quote Originally Posted by chris1761 View Post
    Hi: Haven't posted in awhile, however I have a quick question about the rear air suspension. The car used to be completely level when I purchased it last year, however it seems to be sagging a little in the rear. I had the key on, engine off the other day, and loaded something in the trunk, and heard a buzzing noise from the rear, as I think the air ride motor/pump was trying to inflate the rear shocks, however it didn't sound too good, and went off after about 15 seconds, and didn't raise the rear end up. I have the factory service manual, however I always like to post here to see if there are common problems/quick solutions for these issues, i.e. a relay, control module, etc. Also, if it is a certain part, sometimes forum members may have an extra used one they are willing to sell, to avoid paying the high $$$$ that the dealer charges. Any help or suggestions are welcomed, as the factory manual appears to require special tools to diagnose this situation........
    I had the same problem with my '95 Deville last August.Long story short,one of my air shocks was leaking oil.Dealer wanted $2800 to replace both rear air shocks-----way too pricey for me so i ordered rear passive shocks from Suncore industries and had them installed.The ride feels the same as when the air shocks were in and the ride height is exactly the same also.
    Maintaining the air ride on Cadillacs is a pricey one.It`s good to know there is a much less expensive option when things wear out.

Thanks for the info guys; I'm not sure the compressor is working at this point; I heard it during the summer, however it sounded like a sick duck, and I don't recall hearing it with the key on, engine off. In the MaxiFuse/Relay Center under the hood, is the compressor controlled by the Body 1 maxifuse? I might as well check the easy stuff first. If I find a big $$$ repair, it will stay as is, as who the heck needs to deal with that $2,800 BS.........

Thanks, Chris.

Anyone have any experience with this particular part/manufacturer? For $164, it doesn't seem like a bad deal, although it looks quite different than the original, pictured in the 2nd link........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...2em118Q2el1247

Mr

Quote Originally Posted by chris1761 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this particular part/manufacturer? For $164, it doesn't seem like a bad deal, although it looks quite different than the original, pictured in the 2nd link........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...2em118Q2el1247

The new compressor from Arnott inc. looks like a winner to me.I was originally thinking of getting replacement air shocks from Arnott inc. after mine began leaking---but once one part or the air ride needs repair,other parts needing repair will soon follow,especially on a 12-13 year old vehicle---adding up to major bucks.So i decided to bypass the original air ride completely and as i mentioned before, installed the rear passive shocks.
    If you want to know the real problem with your rear air ride,simply take your Caddy to a repair shop you trust and have a mechanic check the rear air compressor,air lines,rear shocks and electrical connections.I always stand with the mechanic and watch everything he inspects.

mtt333 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville Concours

I recently bought air shocks from Arnott and they are working great. maybe a little stiffer than original like others have said, but definetely better than the blown ones that were on there. Arnott seems to be a reputable company, and would def not buy that used one for the same price. They sell a lot of air suspension parts for all vehicles and seem to know what they are doing.

wpbrink is offline Cadillac Owners Member

have a 97 deville concours and had the same problem...........go to arnottindustries.com or do a goggle search with that name......i bought 2 brand new air electronic shocks brand new for dirt cheap......then have a local garage install them as i did............the airbags in the shocks are what go bad...........very, very, happy with the result..........you won't be disappointed when you buy them........i think they are out of cape canaveral, florida or somewhere like that.........

tibi500cid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 and 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and 1996 DeVille

After reverting to passive system, how did You "silence" the annoying message: "Service Ride Control" ?
    I just bought a 1996 DeVille and the previous owner did change the shocks to plain simple passive system, but didn't bother to do anything about the error message, that keeps on coming on the dashdisplay "Service Ride Control".

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Pretty simple if you're comfortable doing a little minor wiring. Go to suncoreindustries.com and buy the resistors for your car $6.50 per wheel. Remove your front wheels, you may have to take the front wheel well piece off to find the two wire plug that your oem struts used to plug into. Cut the plug off and connect one wire to each end of the resistor. The plugs for each rear wheel should be pretty simple to find as well. Clear out your error codes from the computer and you're done. I'm basing all this on my 99 Deville Concours, but looking at the parts @ suncore I doubt its any different. I bought my passive kit for the front wheels from Strutmasters.com, and was never able to get the error messages to go away like they claimed (lousy customer service too). I then bought the resistors from suncore and fixed it in 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by tibi500cid View Post
    After reverting to passive system, how did You "silence" the annoying message: "Service Ride Control" ?
    I just bought a 1996 DeVille and the previous owner did change the shocks to plain simple passive system, but didn't bother to do anything about the error message, that keeps on coming on the dashdisplay "Service Ride Control".

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
    When i bought my passives from SUNCOREINDUSTRIES.COM,they included the resistors to bypass the "service ride control".I never had any dash display messages at all after having mine installed.

squidlo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks...

tibi500cid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 and 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and 1996 DeVille

Thanks, for the info! I will just do as You told!
    I bought the car 2 weeks ago, and the previous owner did the swap to the passive system without taking care of the message.
    As soon as I am done I will let You know how I managed it.

Thanks again!

If you havent already, try just resetting the codes first. If he did indeed buy the passive struts, they may have come with the resistors. He might not have known how to reset the computer. Could it possibly be that simple, I know it never is for me. Other wise just install those resistors as I described.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.