Pinging
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Pinging in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; just got done doing the plugs in the deville . what a pain in the arse but its done ... ...
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Pinging

just got done doing the plugs in the deville . what a pain in the arse but its done ...

anyway ive put 110 miles on it since the plugs were done and the basturd still pings with a tankload of 93 octaine in it , tossed some chevron techron cleaner in it too and it didnt do a damned thing ...is my ignition timeing off/advanced?????

by the way the old plugs had .60 gap in them when i pulled them out , just goes to show plugs arent good for 110,000 miles , dont blame the previous owner for not haveing them done , it is a pain in the butt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Your car SHOULD have had Platinum plugs in it, and they SHOULD be gapped at .060 so what's the problem?
    If you want to get rid of the detonation, run a can of Top-Engine Cleaner through it. You probably have some carbon build-up. If that doesn't fix it, it maybe time to check out the knock sensor, I'm pretty sure that engine has one but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    4.9 has no knock sensor

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Where do you get this top engine cleaner??? Sounds like something i should do. Is it a spray in through intake or gas additive?

GM Parts. It's a can that you pour into the engine.

Like into the oil??

Define "pouring in the engine"

cool will pick up a can at chevy tomorrow

Q dude , you outta have your plemum cleand , kinda expensive to have it pulled and cleaned but worth it accoding to the Q owners

thansk for the help guys , maybe one day ill be able to contribute

as for the gap im not sure , it was a ball park guess at .060 as none of my gappers went that large (dads old stuff my tools arent in yet) , they were the original plugs and the car had 111781 miles on it so i figured it was about time . cap and rotor were trashed which really lead me to belive the car hadnt been mainted well

which reminds me , wonder if the fuel filter is messing me up

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Man, if your car didn't come with platinums, thats a heck of a long way to go before a change! I would like to know if they were plats, 'cause then I will wait longer than the 50,000 kms before my recommended tune-up. My dad does a tune at about 70,000 kms with no further trouble in all his vehicles.

Top Engine Cleaner must be "injested" through the intake tract. Read the can, I believe it has instructions. If not, the idea is to get the stuff into the combustion chamber by pouring it into the throttle body or sucking it in through a vacuum line. You want to get about 1/2 the stuff in as fast as you can and then quickly shut the engine off and then let it "soak" for about 10min. so it can dissolve/loosen the carbon deposits.
    ***NOTE*** Do not pour any liquid into the engine after the engine stalls or is shut-down, hydro-lock MAY occur and can cause SEVERE engine damage!!!!
    Then you start engine and flush the remnents out of the engine with what's left in the can and then just rev it on a high idle for a few minutes. The car will SMOKE like you've never seen before so make sure to have it away from the road and your house when you start it. After the smoke lessens, take it out on the road and run it through the gears a few times at full-throttle and then you're done.

Do any of you know about the BG induction service??? I have heard about it, any opinions??

thankx katshot,just got back from indy today and ive got that stuff so im gonna try it when it cools off outside (damn florida) you think old o2 sensors could cause pinging ?getting intermiottent check engine lights but no o2 code ,figured since there 20 bucks a pop that id go ahead and grab some

Q dude

ive heard lots about the bg sevice , good stuff from what our Q45 tech says on the nico board , ive never tried it on my old G20 but itd probably be a little less money wise to have the bg done than haveing the plenum pulled and cleaned

O2's can cause all kinds of issues. I know some guys believe in changing them at 50K mile intervals, but I've never subscribed to that theory. They CAN get slow though as evidenced by low cross-counts, and should be replaced. If you "feel" better doing them, I'd say go ahead. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Well, I have concluded that the best thing is going to be to clean the plenum while still on the car. I can take off the TB and reach down there with a dowel with a towel on the end soaked in TB cleaner.....

Q45tech is incredible, he knows about everything, even though most everybody doesnt understand half of what he says.....

i ran that can of cleaner thru it , still pinging but boy did she smoke ...did the o2 sensors today too

at this point im thinking the timings off but wouldnt the ECU take care of it ? just have a idea that the timing chain has stretched over its 112000 mile journey

i found a odd canister on the right side near the front bumper hung off the subframe , is this the fuel filter? if so thats a very odd place for it and it looks to be original too , looks like the car was never serviced outside oil changes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.