2000 Dts On Star
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2000 Dts On Star in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My father has a 2000 DTS with less the 30,000 miles. He's highly pissed about NO UPGrade offerd by On ...
    spenser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2000 Dts On Star

My father has a 2000 DTS with less the 30,000 miles. He's highly pissed about NO UPGrade offerd by On Star. I've heard there's a class action suit for owners of the non upgradeable analog systems.

However I am a Electronic's Engineer and I am having a problem with no upgrade solution. I understand there would be additional cost for digital celluar side and the computer side and digital radio side of the systems. I just fail to understand why a consumer who would be willing to pay for the additional cost would not be offered some kind of upgrade.

The best part is when I tried to talk to On Star they suggested he buy a new Caddy! Then he would be able to use the new On Star system!

Give me a break!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Re: 2000 Dts On Star

You're not alone. However I'm guessing that most cars of this vintage don't have 30k on them. They're probably closer to retirement or finding new homes at a road side dealership. They told me the same thing about buying new.

My frustration was that the dealership didn't tell me about this until I did the deal. Had I known this 18 months ago I would have waited to buy a car.

I would guess that they're not going to manufacturer the required components for just a hand full of people who would be willing to spend the $4000 - $5000 that it would cost to do the upgrade, especially on an 8 year old car. Those numbers are totally hypothetical but I'm should it would NOT be cheap, especially for those of us with NAV.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

It is a hardware issue.
    I have posted on this many times before.
    Yes, it sucks.
    The hardware on the older generation systems is very different. ALL the current upgradable systems use a single module with a design almost identical to current systems, the old modules use two control modules and entirely different connectors.
    It would be like changing a gas engine to a better gas engine (upgradeable vehicles) or trying to change a diesel to run on gas. (not upgradeable vehicles)
    Yes the system does the same thing but the hardware is different.

A class action lawsuit will do 2 things.
    1. Fill some lawyers pockets with money
    2. Make OnStar cost more for everyone

My advice would be to take 2 aspirin and move on with your life.

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

If I were GM, the last thing I would be doing is pissing off customers whether right or wrong.

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

Quote Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
    If I were GM, the last thing I would be doing is pissing off customers whether right or wrong.
    damn right HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    they dont have the luxury right now to be pissing customers off.
    Not even the loyal ones.
    especially with the Microsoft and Ford co-op involing the Synch.
    have you guys experienced that thing? WOW........
    GM better get there heads out of there asses FAST becasue theyve been F'ing up for far too long.........and the comp is leaving them behind faster than..........well, super fast.

but i still back the General.

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

I had my 02 DTS converted to the new equipment, they had to change my number as well and sign a new onstar contract and pay up front which I was suppose to be reimbursed or credited to my OnStar account.

To this day after multiple calls and run around I gave up.

The whole thing cost me over $200.00 which I have written off. But, Britney Spears will be elected PTA President before OnStar ever gets another penny out of me.

I love Cadiilac cars, I always have since a kid and I have bought multiple cars from them.. Eldorado, Escalde, DTS and am considering a new one. But GM service is horrible. I just picked my car up today from a dealer in Miami after some warranty work and $438.00 worth of customer pay items that i could have easily done myself or taken the car elsewhere and work done cheaper but the fool that i am, I try and support the dealer.

You get treated like cattle, no one cares in the least about customer service. I am suppoose to get a rental car when my car is in for warranty.... I waited 2 1/2 hours for a car with not so much of an apology for the wait... I was actually told I was lucky to get one. Wouldn't be all that horrible if it werent the first time I waited hours for a car.

Lexus, if they didn't have a guy holding open the car door to my rental the moment i stepped out of my car they would give me a loaner right off the lot then offer me their wife for the afternoon.

If I wasn't loyal to the Cadillac brand, GM would also never see another dollar from me, especially 50 to 60 thousand of them.

Gah, the whole GM experience pisses me off.

/rant

PS- Chrysler Customer Service and dealers makes GM look like Mercedes, so at least there is worse. I posted my 300c SRT-8 experience before.

Tonkin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Concours, 2002 DHS, 2004 SRX

Had my 2002 DHS upgraded for $599 last summer. That included upgrade hardware, Installation, and 3 more years of onstar. Since 3 years of onstar is $600 anyway, I figure I got the upgrade for free! If you want to blame anyone blame the telco and cell phone companies. They fought the change for 8 years and no one had a clue if or when it would happen. Finally in late 1999 the goverment signed off on the conversion to digital. I suspect that the design of the 2001 cars was already set so the only cars to be readied for digital upgrade were late 2001 and most 2002 models. Your old onstar would of worked but due to lawsuits analog onstar has to be turned off. (Think car crash and the cell tower you are near has been converted to digital, your onstar doesn't call home when airbag deploys, ..Onstar gets lawsuit for analog onstar not working. ) If you think that was bad? Wait till your non-digital TV and VCRs go dead in Feb 2009! IT HAPPENS.....

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

ok i see your point but like code said, they shouldve told buyers about the little issue.
    as far as im concerned theyre responsible for not notifying buyers who bought a pre 02 vehicle.
    seriously...onstar is good, but that upgrade said, "screw you loyal GM customers, who like onstar!! After. 08, too bad. Who cares if you crash. Use your cell phones."

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Is there a comparable non-Onstar mirror that can be swapped out so at least you don't have to be reminded of the fact that you have a white elephant???
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

There are a few bluetooth mirrors out there, if that's what you mean.

Tonkin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Concours, 2002 DHS, 2004 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodbar67 View Post
    ok i see your point but like code said, they shouldve told buyers about the little issue.
    as far as im concerned theyre responsible for not notifying buyers who bought a pre 02 vehicle.
    seriously...onstar is good, but that upgrade said, "screw you loyal GM customers, who like onstar!! After. 08, too bad. Who cares if you crash. Use your cell phones."
    Dead on correct! "they should have told buyers about the little issue." That would of cost them nothing except a few sales and gained a lot of loyal customers. And by not doing that they will lose customers in the future...

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Bluetooth mirror? The mirror has a bluetooth speakerphone in it? That sounds cool.

I was just asking about a non-Onstar "matching" GM electrochromatic mirror that could be swapped out.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

01devillew/05 nav is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville DHS

I have installed a gen 6 digital onstar with three way digital antenna on the roof (hole drilled and wires passed thru and everything) and a new style onstar mirror with the picture of a phone not the white dot and actually talked to an onstar operator. She actually told me that it was impossible! The fact that we were speaking to eachother was impossible! I have photos and I still need to take it to the dealer but I did make duplicates in the wiring harness and I have a bunch of onstar modules antenna wires mirrors etc.. also the nav screen changed into a keypad and stores phone #'s and it asked for the whole # not one digit at a time. Is anone still interested in this ? I think I've made some progress.

01devillew/05 nav is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville DHS

I have installed a gen 6 digital onstar in my 01 DHS and actually spoke to an onstar operator. If anyone is still interested I have info.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Hell yeah I'm interested. Whats the deal ??

BTW it looks like your message box is full so I can't PM you.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.