94 Deville idle sound
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 94 Deville idle sound in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When I'm idling after driving on the freeway or after driving for a while, the engine makes a sort of ...
    Big Drate is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lightbulb 94 Deville idle sound

When I'm idling after driving on the freeway or after driving for a while, the engine makes a sort of electrical sound like like wires touching-its hard to explain. One of my friends said it was a timing belt, but I'm not sure he knows what the hell hes talkin about. I dont want to take it to the dealership if I can do the work myself. HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: 94 Deville idle sound

So basically its making a ticking noise, that correlates with engine speed..

So at idle its tick tick tick tick and a little higher its ticktickticktickticktick

You get the idea

Is this correct?

no its just at idle it makes more of a buzzing noise

sonnycrack is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have that same sound.. I have a 94 as well.. Hopefully someone can help.. I never hear it except when I'm at a drivethrough window, obviosly because the sound is bouncing back.. ANNY HELP?

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Well your engine doesn't have a timing belt, so there goes that theroy...

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

"tick tick tick" probably a lifter , looks like a common thing on the 4.9 . even seen (heard) it on northstars , should get a tick every half a second

electircal buzz type deal .....hmm ...does it sound like a electric motor ? or like a wire sparking ? or is it the afforemtnioned tick ?

up2ng is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Check all of the Ignition wire and make sure they are not arcing.

Wait until it's dark and then open the hood, start the motor and see if you see any flashes near the wires.

Im always hearin it at the drivethru as well, and it definetly sounds like wires sparking

Robert Brandtjen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Easiest way to find out if it's a lifter is to go to the drugstore and buy a cheap stethoscope and remove the flat piece and insert a pushrod or something similar, then touch it to the engine above the lifters, moving it in the direction of the sound getting louder.

If it is a lifter, my advice would be to pull the head and send it in to a shop- one that has a good rep with race car drivers (mud tracks) and have him do the valves and head, meanwhile, you can replace all of your lifters and possibly push rods. If one goes, another will as well soon enough. If your going to go through the trouble of replacing one lifter, just do it right and deal with the whole area. Owning many many vehicles- from dump trucks to back-hoes to high performance cars has taught me one thing- everything is fixable and if your going to do it, do it right the first time through- in the long run, it's the best way, though maybe not the easiest/cheapest at the moment.

When done, you will have a nicely freshened motor.

I have read that this isn't worth doing on Northstars- I'm not sure why that would be, though. I had it done on a 1987 all aluminum Porsche and it fairly screamed afterward- also had the factory US chip replaced with a German chip- car screamed. "Kelly's" in West St. Paul, Minnesota did the Porsche heads for me.

Robert Brandtjen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

P.S.- Sometimes pinholes or loose boldts in the exhaust manifold/headers will make the same sound.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.