1992 Deville for only $599.00!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1992 Deville for only $599.00!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A 92 will convert to R134a fine. There is no need to replace the orifice tube (you might take it ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 1992 Deville for only $599.00!!

A 92 will convert to R134a fine. There is no need to replace the orifice tube (you might take it out when the system is apart and make sure it is clean, though) Replace the accumulator with a new OEM part to get a fresh dessicant charge in it. Put the correct PAG oil in and charge it up.

Since it sounds like you need a new compressor anyway (if it was the clutch hub bearing it would be making noise all the time not just when the AC engages) so it is the perfect time to convert.

Use the GM conversion fittings as the aftermarket parts often leak.

Do NOT use a 90% charge when you charge it. Don't know where this myth started but GM HVAC engineers specifically specify the SAME charge for the system with R12 or R134a. If you charge it to the OEM spec for R12 with the R134a it will work great, not set any refrigerant codes and all the low refrigerant codes will still function fine. Just don't charge to a lower level and expect the system to work right.

You will not know that it is charged with R134a. There is really no practical difference in the AC performance. If there is, then there is something wrong with the conversion or the system....it is not the R134a. With instrumentation an HVAC engineer can tell the difference but not an average user. EVen in the hottest/most humid conditions R134a is fine, especially on the FWD cars with electric cooling fans.

Just make sure the evaporator and condensor are flushed and blown out, the correct oil is used, a fresh accumulator is put in the system and that it is charged to the full spec for the car originally.

I converted my Dad's 90 Deville to R134a two years ago in this fashion and it works fine...and he lives in hot/humid South Carolina and "tests" it regularily.

ChiMick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Joe:

Congrats on your winning bid. I sure like my 1990 although I have put more money into it (so far) doing small upgrades and fixups than I would have thought possible.

All indications are that that series of Deville seems to run like a train- I am sure that I will get 4-5 more years of good service out of this car.

The best thing I did to mine was do a complete sound system upgrade. I have pics posted in the entertainment section of what the 10-disc changer looks like!

Joe Sixpack is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I ordered the AC parts, they should be here in a few days. There is a Midas shop in town that will evacuate and charge with R134a for $65. I bought a brand new compressor and made sure it has the double lip seal. I bought 8 oz of BAV Auto 100 oil as I heard the PAG likes to retain moisture. New HBNR o-rings, nylog o-ring sealer/lubricant, a flush kit, conversion fittings, a new accumulator/drier- with shipping $420. Even if I have to replace the sensors I should still have the AC working for less than I paid for the car.

After that the only issues left are some minor touch-up paint type issues and a code 39- TCC/VCC clutch. The tranny runs well. I read that some folks found a updated mem-cal or prom that is more forgiving of torque converter slippage. I wonder if there is one available for a 92 Deville. I'll change the fluid and filter, but I'm not going to pay for tranny work since it shifts nice, no slippage that I can feel. The code 39 comes on when I go uphill above 45 mph hot or cold. If there isn't a prom chip I'll just live with the silly yellow light or cover it up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.