Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RBraczyk 
#1 ·
i got my 85 Coupe DeVille aboud 8 months ago and there are a few weird little problems that need some attention:
1. There are rear levellers in this car, but the back end is almost on the ground (so obviously, it isn't levelling), but I don't know, and don't know how to find out if the compressor is bad or the levellers (bags?) are bad. I would really like to get it off the ground--i live in an apartment complex with a ton of speed bumps that assault my back end every time i drive.:crying:
2. I'm also getting some hesitation in the lower gears, usually between 15 and 25 MPH and then again between 40-45 MPH and occassionally between 50-55. After 55 the rid is fine, but I live in the city and spend a lot of time in the lower gears. The plugs were replaced by the dealer when I bought the car, but a thorough tune-up wasn't performed (to the best of my knowledge--it sux to get a great car from a shady dealer). Could that be all it is? or should i worry about my tranny?
3. My dad replaced my left rear wheel cylinder and rear brakes, we also bled the air out of the line and the brakes work fine, but soon after I returned home (Charleston, SC to Columbia,SC) the brake light came on and stayed on. Like I said, the brakes work fine, but should I still be worried??
4. This one is kinda funny (saved the best for last deal.) I live in a hilly area with bad bumpy roads. Whenever I go over bad bumps, I hear a sound that is kind of like dropping a sock full of change down an incline. It sounds like it's coming from the rear and at first, I thought something was loose back there. I checked the tailpipe, all the rear chrome, the spare tire fittings, everything I could get my hangs on an jiggle a little, and everything seems fine... Any ideas? It's really annoying....

See less See more
#2 ·
#1 What typically happens is that the system develops a leak then the compressor wears out from running all the time trying to maintain ride height. Start by making sure the compressor is getting power and that it does still run.

#3 The brake light means the emergency is on or their is a difference in pressures on the system. Could be there is still an air bubble in the rears that is causing problem or you have a leak. Check the fluid level and see if either is low/out. If not then I would re-bleed and go from there.
Steve B.

#3 ·
1. agreed
2. o2 sensors would be my guess.....

#4 ·
mind_stone said:
1. There are rear levellers in this car, but the back end is almost on the ground (so obviously, it isn't levelling), but I don't know, and don't know how to find out if the compressor is bad or the levellers (bags?) are bad.
I am having a problem that is very similar to this one. My azz sags and it doesn't level out. I can hear a sound like it is trying to level itself but it never does. When I hear this sound, the leveling light is on. Help me out.

#5 ·
the air is leaking from your air shocks!!!!

#7 ·
I am pretty sure you can passive struts for the rear, as im pretty sure monroe, KYB, and some other make them.....

#8 ·
If your willing to do it yourself they're around 65.00, and change for tools. Actives can run over 1000 and really aren't worth it, unless you find a pair off of a parts car, but make sure you buy two, its dangerous if you mix and match. Just do a google search for cadillac parts and state the year.

#1. Agreed
#2. Along with O2 sensors, check transmission fluid, if its low it can make shoddy low end gear changes.
#3. Check fuse and codes, and then re-bleed if those two are fine.
#4. Stumped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.