93 DTS Tune-Up Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 93 DTS Tune-Up Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am new to the forum and own a 93 Deville Touring Sedan with a 4.9 ltr. V8. The car ...
    JKLNHDE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

93 DTS Tune-Up Question

I am new to the forum and own a 93 Deville Touring Sedan with a 4.9 ltr. V8. The car has 70k miles and needs a tune-up. My question's are:

1-Are any special tools needed to change the spark plugs in this car? Any advice is appreciated should the procedure deviate from normal. I am concerned about changing the 4 plugs against the firewall. Dealer wants $200 to change these-what a rip.

2-Fuel injector cleaning. What's the best stuff to use? Dealer says that during "thier" tune-up procedure, they add an additve to the tank (2-3 cans of something). IS the GM additive different than an off the shelf injector cleaner available at a regular parts store?

3-Ignition. I am unfamiliar with the ignition on this car. During a tune up procedure, do you recommend any parts be replaced on the ignition system?

Thanks for your help and advice regarding anything else I should consider looking at while I've got this thing apart. I am the new second owner and I have no idea what's been done/has not been done to this car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    1. No special tools req'd.
    2. A product called "Run-Right" is very good. The stuff you put in the gas tank is mainly "preventive" in nature, not much good for actually cleaning dirty injectors.
    3. Tune-up should involve ALL ignition secondary components as follows:
    Distributor cap
    Rotor
    Plugs
    wires
    Obviously, some cars are DIS so therefore omit the cap/rotor.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I would also do the fuel filter and pcv valve. As for the sparkplug wires, I thought they lasted past 100,000 miles?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

He specifically asked about the ignition system. That's why I limited my comments to that system. There ARE other parts that should be done at that time though.

Qristofer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have been trying to change the spark plugs on my deville and trying to reach the rear 4 plugs is a feat in itself. I have all but given up on it. Also changing the cap and rotor is close to impossible because its all incased in a box like unit. I just gave up on it. I want to hear from someone that has changed the plugs on a 4.9L and what kinda tools are best to use.

I always just used a stubby 3/8ths swivel-head ratchet and a swivel plug socket w/1" extension as I recall. Probably a full-size plug ratchet to break it loose though.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.