EXP 46 message & P0741 code ??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, EXP 46 message & P0741 code ?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When the car (98 Deville) is started and in "Park" the following messages are alternately displayed on the instrument panel ...
    happypig is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question EXP 46 message & P0741 code ??

When the car (98 Deville) is started and in "Park" the following messages are alternately displayed on the instrument panel cluster - "Apply Brake To Shift" and then "EXP 46". A search of the forum (and many Google searches on the Internet) reveals very little.... it might be an export code ( I am in Canada) but why is it being displayed and how might I get rid of it?

The SES light is staying on. The only trouble code that is "Current" is P0741 - Torque converter clutch circuit performance stuck off. What does this mean?

There are a bunch of other codes that show up as "History" :
    PCM
    P0463, P0603

IPC
    B1552

SDM
    B1147, B1148, B1161, B1328

TCS
    C1255

PZM
    B0533, B1552, B1558, B2470

IRC
    U1300
    B1982

What might have caused all of these codes and should I clear them all?

I have cleared the "Current" P0741 code a couple of times but within a couple of outings the SES light returns.

Wow.. that's a lot of questions!

Thanks.

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac-Junkie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: EXP 46 message & P0741 code ??

hi u dont have to worry about codes that say history after them these are old codes that either were fixed or reset itself hope that helps ya . As far as the other question try unhooking ur battery to reset the system if the current code sstays on next time u loo it needs to be fixed usually when u clear a code and it shows current there usually is a problem look around im sure you will find ur answer, good luck Sal

MobyDic is offline Cadillac Owners Member

EXP messages are normal - look in your owners manual it tells you what they all mean 46 is the same as apply brake I think. Can't look it up car isn't here right now.

As for the history codes well i clear some of mine and they kept coming back first as history then as current only to reappear as history. Very annoying.
    Get to a dealer and have it looked at by someone trained on the technology.

best of luck mate

LCLCLC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

P0741, from a 1997 Service Manual. Torque Converter Clutch solenoid valve is stuck 'off'.

-Check the fluid level.
    -Check the transmission cooler lines to the radiator. If they are kinked, the transmission may be running 'hot'.

I 'think', I'm not sure, but the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid valve looks like it's inside the transmission. (Someone in a message noted 'a $40 valve buried $2,000 deep in the transmission. This might be it....)

If the above 2 checks are ok, you might consider having the transmission fluid replaced. Drop the pan, and there is a drain plug inside the pan which lets even more fluid out. I would not let a shop do a 'power transmission flush', this might break even more 'crud' lose and cause more problems.... But new fluid might clean out the valve...

The service manuals don't even go into tearing into the transmission, that is another manual, and I don't have that one. And I'm not going to tear into a transmission....
    If you've already reset the code, removing the negative battery cable will not do anything else. As a matter of fact, I just removed my cable, and this 'set' a slew of codes that I previously did not have set. Putting the cable back on made several relays 'pulse' several times until I got the cable started tightened down.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.