Can the DeVille be converted to RWD?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Can the DeVille be converted to RWD? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I know most people automatically steer away from these things, because its extremely hard to do and non-practical; not to ...
    Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Question Can the DeVille be converted to RWD?

I know most people automatically steer away from these things, because its extremely hard to do and non-practical; not to mention expensive. But would it be possible to take the FWD DeVille (newer design) and convert to rear wheel drive? I can think of the things needed off the bat so far...

1. Convert the current N* to RWD or buy a new RWD N* from the SRX or XLR.
    (and find new ways to mount it too)

2. Use the RWD transmission from the SRX and get a custom length built drive shaft.

Rear differential and suspension?

What would fit and be compatable ? Id think that the SRX and XLR's rear suspension wouldnt work/fit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Can the DeVille be converted to RWD?

Actually i just thought of something, the SRX's transmission might not work if it has a FWD type engine using say, a viscous clutch for 4WD... so maybe a different tranny then? Help... this sounds so interesting to know... would be a killer project for anyone who had the time and money.

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Why?

I think it would be cheaper to buy an 06 RWD V Deville. It'll probably be an 07, but worth the wait!

Did you read what I said the first time... its only out of curiosity... not real life (well sort of)

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

of course it IS possible.... I forgot the site, but you had to see the LS1, RWD '02 Grand Am GT (GA fan... belong to a GA site).... it was sweet...

...of course it cost over $100,000, they had to cut and move the firewall etc....

besides what you mentioned... what about things like, would the drive shaft fit? the "hump" on a FWD car is alot smaller them that of a RWD car (no driveshaft) other things like how to mount rear axel etc....

Believe me, if there was a way to easily do it, I would be one of the first, the true is, it is just too expensive and very, very hard to do.... with the money you spend to have it (custom) done, you could have a '75/'76 Fleetwood COupe in mint shape with a nicly built up 500.... it is RWD, body on frame etc... that would be a sweet sleeper and far better then a current DeVille RWD....

Not only that, but it would be one of a king, sure it is good, but what happens if you got into an accident? you think the insurance company s gonna be like, wow, this guy spend $25,000 to make his FWD car, RWD, let's give him $30k for the wreck" no, they are gonna be like, ok, Cadillac DeVille wreck, check book valve, ok, it's book valve is $6,500, we'll cut a check for $7k and be done with it.

Basically it CAN be done, ANYTHING can be done, but EVERYTHING takes money, and lots of it... I know you are looing for more detailed, actual information about it... but this is my input...

GERMEEZY1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It is possible but I agree with what has been said get a car that is already rear drive or forgedd about it. And if its performance you want you can mod a Deville up to 500 hp if you want to even though it will torque steer like a mother!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.