UPDATE on sixty special lettering for bodyside moulding
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, UPDATE on sixty special lettering for bodyside moulding in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, my tool & die maker guy made up like 4 letters, and called me in to take a look. ...
    Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

UPDATE on sixty special lettering for bodyside moulding

Well, my tool & die maker guy made up like 4 letters, and called me in to take a look. I cancelled the idea. His letters were fine for like a display case or something, but they were not jeweled enough, or detailed like Cadillac would make them. They looked like what they were, no more - no less. Certainly not as good as the .F L E E T W O O D. letting on the side chrome of the 89-92 FWD Fleetwoods. I have another idea ....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tru504187211 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham

Re: UPDATE on sixty special lettering for bodyside moulding

What's this other idea?...

I will post pictures the third week of May, 'til then >>>>

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You could just get the "Fleetwood" lettering? Does Cadillac still supply these? So I take it that the only external identification for a 60 Special is on the trunklid? :rolleyes2 Would any lettering fit from an older Caddy from a scrapyard? ie. "60 Series or Special?"

p.s. the lettering sure is a pain when you are wiping the car down after washing. I don't know how many times my rag gets caught in them and I have to be careful I don't rip them off!

I don't want Fleetwood, since technicly it's not a Fleetwood, but a Sixty Special. Regardless it's done, and now I have to take pictures. When I do I'll send them to you (so, email your address) and you can see how or what I did and post them if you think it would interest anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    I don't want Fleetwood, since technicly it's not a Fleetwood, but a Sixty Special. Regardless it's done, and now I have to take pictures. When I do I'll send them to you (so, email your address) and you can see how or what I did and post them if you think it would interest anyone??
    OK thanks!! I'll email my addy immediately!

p.s. I thought they were "Fleetwood Sixty Specials?" Because it's just a step up from a Fleetwood, complete with skirts and all. Sort of like 442 was an option on the Olds Cutlass, but still a Cutlass nonetheless.

Nope. Not for 1993. My Title says "1993 Cadillac Sixty Special" ~ page # 51 of the 1993 Cadillac Brochure begins several pages on the car, always referring to it as the SIXTY SPECIAL. If you recall, the FLEETWOOD name was moved to the all new for 1993 rear wheel drive spin-off of the Buick Roadmaster. However.......
    The letters/numbers in the VIN denoting a Fleetwood in 1992 were the same code as the Sixty Special was assigned for 1993. Therefore, in some states when the car is/was transferred to a new owner, the person doing the entry instead of copying the original title's info, would do a look up in the DMV code books and then enter FLEETWOOD. More oft than not, the owner of the car never looked at the document (or did & couldn't be bothered to change it). When Motor Vehicle makes this type of an error, you can move a mountain easier than have them change it, UNLESS you were smart enough to take a photo copy of the original to fight your cause with!!!
    Such is also why the FLEETWOOD letters were removed from the chrome side moulding. SIXTY SPECIAL should have replaed it, but they knew it was to be a 10 month production car....so hey, why bother.
    As I pointed out earlier, the Sixty Special is/was the ONLY 1989-1993 Cadillac of any model to NOT display on the body sides the model Cadillac it was. The only model in 5 model years to not display it's model name on the sides of the car. Ummmmm

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

I know a Jeweler who does custom work like this.. Let me know if you're interested. Send me a PM. It's a woman I work with who's really very good..
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Thanks, Sal, but I've come to realize that it's cost prohibitive, time consuming to make and fragile letters. I have gone about it another way, that looks surprisingly wonderful. On the lower fascia of the back of the car just underneath the dek lid's lip, there is a soft flexable panel with the famous Cadillac script underneath which is a 5" long 1/4 inch high silver plaque with black lettering that says sixty special. These are still (unbelievable!) available for ordering thru parts at $17.00 each. I ordered a couple and you would never believe how great they look on the chrome panel of the side moulding. I mounted them, centered on the chrome, starting at the 5-inch mark from the crack between the door opening & the front fender, they end at the 10" mark (since they are 5" long). During the years of 1989-1992 FWD Fleetwoods that were equipped with the "Sixty Special" OPTION (That interior by Ital Design) well, those cars carried a script Fleetwood on the rear quarter and UNDER THAT a similiar sixty special plaque. (Similiar to the 93 rear fascia plaque, but NOT identical.) So, another plaque they omitted would be the ULTRA plaque that should have been on a '93 sixty special WITH code Y45, the ULTRA interior Pkg., which was identical to the Sixty Special Interior on a 1989-1992 Fleetwood.
    THAT ULTRA PLAQUE IS AVAILABLE THRU PARTS, even though Cadillac NEVER USED IT. There is absolutely NO '93 sixty special out there displaying this plaque, even though 688 cars were so equipped. So....they must have at least 1,376 of them somewhere......if they really do have them in parts!!

tru504187211 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham

Yes, Sandy, you MUST post them. One very interested Sixty owner right here.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

What type of interior differences were there in the Ultra version? Any pictures?
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

The ULTRA was in effect, the former Sixty Special Package of thr 1989-1992 FWD Fleetwood, The 22-way seats, basically everything was different. I would have ordered it, but I longed for White leather and the ULTRA only came with Navy, Black, Lt Gtray and Garnet. None of which woulda looked very good with my dark plum paint color.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
    What type of interior differences were there in the Ultra version? Any pictures?
    http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_ima/89gugga.jpg . http://www.car-nection.com/cadillacd...ma/89guggb.jpg

Yes Sandy, post the pics of the lettering! you don't need my approval for the screening, LOL!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.