dove soap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, dove soap in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I read about using disolved dove soap for cleaning and treating leather upholstery,I cant find the thread,would some one please ...
    creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

dove soap

I read about using disolved dove soap for cleaning and treating leather
    upholstery,I cant find the thread,would some one please tell me how to dilute it?,
    how much water to a bar of soap,I remember it has to sit for two days,after it is put on,do you wipe it down,or just leave it?,tnx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: dove soap

Please tell me you are kidding me? leather is animal skin, dyed to match your interior. you need to use a PH balanced cleaner (say 9.0) so it doesn't remove the dye in the leather, next you need to condition it so it doesn't dry out and crack. soap will clog the pores of the leather making it harder to breath. vist my web site for more info on this and to find the right products to use., Gary

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you're in B.C., surf around "leather...conditioner...saddle soap...." and find a local outlet for real saddle soap. Not a pun...there is such a thing, and it is kind to leather, a tin lasts forever, and it's inexpensive.

there was definetly quite a long discussion in this section about using dove soap to condition leather, about a month ago, maybe someone else will come to my defense. tnx

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

^^ I tried to search for a dove leather thread, but I didn't get anything.

Try searching or use a google search on this site.

I found an article on dove soap on google I typed in "cleaning leather with dove soap" .It describes dove as being a moisterizer type soap,and when you use it,do not rinse off as it also acts as a moisterizer for the leather.
    the person who wrote original article in this website said he worked for a car
    dealership and the old guy in the detail shop always used dove for cleaning
    leather.I know it sounds strange,that's why I remembered it.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

It's okay if you're talking about a one-time only restoration. Sometimes leather gets some nasty oily greasy stuff on it and there's nothing else that will work.

But once you get it clean, replenish the oils with a natural leather cleaner, protect it, and treat it regularly. You'll never have a problem again.

I talked to my distributor who sells chemicals for reconditioning cars for some huge dealerships, and like Elivs says, a one time cleaning for dirty leather is ok, but not for an on going program, todays automotive leather is made of a combination of leather, leather composites, plastic and vinyl. Depending on the manufacturer, type of car (and what you paid) will depend on how much % of leather your seats have. you can get away with soap if the seats have a low concentration of leather and more plastic / vinyl, But with the high end cars using more leather material in the seats, proper PH balenced cleaning is recommended along with conditioning with products designed for leather. Have you ever say seats with lines in them, this is the early stage of what happens when seats dry out, they start to crack and split. My conditioning you will prolong the life of the leather and the beauty of the seats, Hope this helps some, Gary

JRau is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 1993 Sedan De Ville

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    there was definetly quite a long discussion in this section about using dove soap to condition leather, about a month ago, maybe someone else will come to my defense. tnx
    The guy's forum name is Sandy, and yes, there was a lengthy discussion on the treatment of leather. Find a post of Sandy's, and you can go to his profile and find all his posts. I think he hangs out in the Front Wheel Drive DeVille section, as he has a fairly rare early '90's Sixty Special.

I, too, was somewhat hesitant on this treatment--I think they recommended spraying the seats with a furniture polish (can't remember the brand). They said the furniture polish was good for the leather after it was cleaned.

Good luck.

JRau in central Iowa

I tried to find the actual p.h. for dove soap,no luck, but it did say it's "p.h. neutral" does that mean it doesn't have any p.h.? would this indicate it's less than 9.0%. It also said it contains 25% of moisturising cream.

Superior Detailing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 EXT

Quote Originally Posted by JRau View Post
    I, too, was somewhat hesitant on this treatment--I think they recommended spraying the seats with a furniture polish (can't remember the brand). They said the furniture polish was good for the leather after it was cleaned.

Good luck.

JRau in central Iowa
    Whoever is recommending DOVE and FURNITURE POLISH is a moron, I'm sorry. Dove is a soap...for your skin. Furniture Polish is a cleaner and protectant...for your furniture, not your CAR!!! Whoever uses these products has no knowledge of what they are doing to the cars they are using them on. Yeah ok, it may clean seats, and it may make it look nice, but why not use a dedicated leather cleaner and conditioner? probably because whoever suggested this to him is poor. I used furniture polish while detailing when I first started at the nastiest detail shop I've ever worked at. The kind of place that charges only $50 for a "whole detail." Do it at your own risk.

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    I tried to find the actual p.h. for dove soap,no luck, but it did say it's "p.h. neutral" does that mean it doesn't have any p.h.? would this indicate it's less than 9.0%. It also said it contains 25% of moisturising cream.
    No, neutral means the pH is 7.

The pH scale ranges from 1-14, with 7 being neutral cuz its in the middle (makes sense). Acids and bases are measured on this scale. The more acidic a substance, the less pH level it has. If its a base, it'll be up past 7.

I have to agree with Superior on this one, speaking as a professional stick with products designed for what they were intended. gary

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

I have seen furniture polish applied to the insides of a car, and it was not pretty.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

here it is, it was kinda obscure, pledge and dove

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...dge#post461626

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.