dove soap - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, dove soap in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; If you look at a bottle of pledge it actually says its recommended to use on leather. I tried the ...
    behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Re: dove soap

If you look at a bottle of pledge it actually says its recommended to use on leather.

I tried the dove and pledge method, worked ok, haven't used it in a while though since I got some meguiars and eagle one cleaner/conditioner.

I may try it again one day since my car is a 93 deville and is mostly vinyl and fake leather. It will need to be reupholstered eventually, I'm just trying to prolong it some, The back seat is pretty stiff probably since it rarely ever gets used.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Now that I've read that whole thread I'm curious. I just use Simple Green on the tough spots and Eagle One leather conditioner.

Superior Detailing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 EXT

Simple Green diluted AT LEAST 10:1 (10 parts water to one part SG) should be safe. I'd probably do at least 15:1 or 20:1, and clean it more often. Eagle one conditioner isn't the best but sure is better then nothing.

Gary please chime in here and help prevent others from taking this gentlemans advice here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tml#post885497

COBlackZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham, 2007 Escalade EXT

At the risk of weighing into a debate that's becoming somewhat contentious, I feel I should offer a testimonial that supports Sandy's recommendation.

I have a '93 Sixty Special that I purchased in February '06, with 117,000 miles on it. I have no idea if the previous owners of this car were as meticulous about keeping a leather interior well cleaned and conditioned as I, so I went to work on the interior myself. Over the last ten months, I've tried both Lexol cleaner and conditioner on the interior leather seats, and Zaino's all in one leather cleaner/conditioner. While it certainly improved them, it left them feeling "tacky" for several days, despite going over them multiple times with dry microfiber cloth.

Sandy sent me a PM with a link to the thread on this subject, and suggested I give it a try. I did so, about a month ago. And I can say this method (dissolved Dove soap and Pledge) worked better than the Lexol and Zaino. It was also less time consumptive, and considerably less expensive.

Now, is this a long term, regular treatment? I'm certainly willing to entertain the idea that as a one-time application, it's okay, but that it shouldn't be done regularly. I'd need to hear some other testimonials on that. All I can tell you is that in the month since I tried this treatment, my Sixty Special's leather interior has never looked better, nor felt more supple. So at least at this point, I'm inclined to think Sandy may be on to something.

-Patrick

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

To get this back into some form of context, the car that Sandy is doing this to IS A SHOWCAR so for the most part. It sees VERY LIMITED use. As such, using products that make it look pretty is fine - because, it's main function is to act like a 2 ton paperweight, holding down the floor of some garage.

Yes, the car is a ultra-low mileage beauty. Yes, whenever it sees the sun (never rain., let alone more inclment, winter-type weather) it gleems like a many faceted jewel. The sun's rays bounce off the mile-deep shiny purple paint and the bright white interior leather virtually sparkles in it's pristine condition - so white, it's enough to make a dead man's eyes bleed,,,,,.

I doubt even tooth decay could penetrate the products that Sandy has layered on that car - for preservation of his classic. But as a daily driver - use the products that cars in general are meant to have used on them. In the case of leather, that's leather cleaners and conditioners.

Leatherique makes the best I've ever used.

COBlackZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham, 2007 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    To get this back into some form of context, the car that Sandy is doing this to IS A SHOWCAR so for the most part. It sees VERY LIMITED use. As such, using products that make it look pretty is fine - because, it's main function is to act like a 2 ton paperweight, holding down the floor of some garage.

I doubt even tooth decay could penetrate the products that Sandy has layered on that car - for preservation of his classic. But as a daily driver - use the products that cars in general are meant to have used on them. In the case of leather, that's leather cleaners and conditioners.
    Frost,
    If you read through that "Best Off The Shelf Leather Cleaner" thread (from the link above), you'll note that many members have tried the method Sandy recommended, and liked the results. And their cars are not all garage queens.

I can only offer my experiences as a testimonial. My Sixty Special is a daily driver (particularly on winter weather days.) It has 121,000 miles on it right now. In the ten months I've owned it, the dove soap/pledge cleaning and conditioning treatment is the best treatment I've tried on the leather, and I've tried several other specially formulated leather cleaners and conditioners at considerably higher cost.

If someone wants to continue to use Lexol or Leatherique or any other cleaner and conditioner because that's what they've used all along, and they like the results, fine. All I'm saying is that Sandy's method worked for me, and my car does not spend it's life in a climate controlled garage waiting for the next car show.

-Patrick

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

The thoughts earlier about is being great for skin got me thinking. So I figured I would use lubriderm after using dove. Then I thought, "What would be the best way to clean my wifes fur?" Then it came to me, don't take it to our cleaners, just use Pantene since it does a great job on her hair. You guys should try it too.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

^^ Are you being serious or sarcastic?

Seriously, I can't tell.

MWA
    MWA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS

Frost-you are right on target about Leatherique. I have never used a product that has given me the results that it has produced. It is definitely not inexpensive, but the feel and softness and smell of real leather is not inexpensive either. It is a quality product meant to be put on a quality product.

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Their is an old saying that most dealersand car enthusiasts go by which is what is designed for the kitchen stays in the kitchen, that is not to say that you can't use some oother products but its a good rule of thumb. Todays leather is dyed to match the interior, and that dye can easliy be removed (I've seen it happen) by using high or low PH cleaners. Why run the risk when plenty of PH balanced cleaners are around? This is why I sell one that is about a 7.5 which is perfect for leather. Gary

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

WHAT I USE:-

WASHING: DuPont's #7 car wash
    DRYING: Sear's Lawn & Leaf Blower, on "HI" and a Zep "Professional" Chamois
    WAX: Souverne by Pinnacle Exclusively.
    WHEELS: Meguire's Wheel Polish
    VOGUE
    W'WALLS: Westley's WW tire cleaner & a stiff nylon brush

She gets waxed 2 times a year, May & September.
    For rubbing off the wax I use D & F Micro Fibre Wax Remover Cloths.
    NOTHING EVER on the Vinyl Roof other than car wash soap & water.
    Under hood gets damp wiped 4 times a year, once each Season.
    From October thru April 15th she hibernates in a rented garage,
    that is dehumidafied, heated to 65 degrees and under 24/7 guard
    in a totally concrete & brick building, in a private locked stall,
    battery disconected & wearing a brake club, with a full tank of gas.
    (Gulf Premium). She wears a "Wolf" brand car cover with an
    underside of soft cotton-weave mesh. From April 16th thru end of
    September, she ventures ourside (very carefully), and adds around
    750 miles to herself, or like 150 @ month, most of it on the interstate
    cruising around 50-65 MPH.
    All service performed by a Cadillac Dealer & all paperwork is kept.
    She also goes to a few shows. She is 14 years old, now!

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/

I find it all telling that in excess of a dozen people on this thread as well as on the other thread
    have posted to say the results they experienced with the Dove & Pledge were fabulous, and only
    the two venders, looking to vend their wares & products have opposed what I use & suggest.
    I might add that I use the same on my daily driver, the 2003 Town Car Limited and she has
    "normal" miles and her grey/beige interior looks & feels as new and has NO "wrinkles" nor "cracks"
    in the leather, as most 4 year old cars with leather do.

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

I don't think superior is trying to sell anyone anything. I think you just have a bad taste in your mouth because you are used to people praising you and he would not. Also, didn't you get my sarcasm when I said it was a good idea to use pantene on a fur coat?

MWA
    MWA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS

Sandy, I am not a vendor nor do I get anything from Leatherique but a quality product. It may be a few dollars more than most products, but I find it worthy. Your success with your method is great, too. I don't think many of us here want to be offensive to anyone on the forum. Thanks for your itemized care procedures....I enjoyed reading them.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Finally_Have_A_Cad View Post
    I don't think superior is trying to sell anyone anything. I think you just have a bad taste in your mouth because you are used to people praising you and he would not. Also, didn't you get my sarcasm when I said it was a good idea to use pantene on a fur coat?
    Hey, you're too jumpy!! I have no "Bad taste" in my mouth at all, zero! Nada!
    He is 100% entitled to his opinion, and I'd fight FOR his right to express his opinion, (whether I agreed or not) ! I got your saccasm and I thought it was pretty funny and also clevor! I 1/2 laughed out loud.

New Year. Calm down. Have a safe & a happy in the best of health !

MWA, I really did not have YOU in mind, either.

PS/ I enjoy your posts. Never really "spoke" directly to you, ''til now.

Happy New year to you too. Be Safe, Be Well and surrounded by goodness & love.

Sad, in this weather (unless you are in Florida) that we cannot wash our cars. I HATE that!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.