My hood got keyed. Any tips for refinishing?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, My hood got keyed. Any tips for refinishing? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey, Someone decided to leave two 2ft scratches on the hood of my car . They don't seem too deep. ...
    AaronM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My hood got keyed. Any tips for refinishing?

Hey,
    Someone decided to leave two 2ft scratches on the hood of my car . They don't seem too deep. I can't rub it out with a cloth though. Any tips on fixing her back up? The paint color is black. I was thinking of getting some rubbing compound and polishing compound and see what I can do. I just don't see why people enjoy keying cars. Oh well, what can you do.
    Thanks!
    Aaron

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Re: My hood got keyed. Any tips for refinishing?

It depends on how deep the scratches are. Can you feel them when you run your fingernail over them? My car got keyed on the back of the trunklid, and because the scratches are pretty deep the whole panel needs to be repainted.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Well I guess another question is how wide is the scratch. Another trick they'll use at a shop, if you don't want to or can't have the whole panel painted is, take a single hair brush or a brush with just a couple hairs and hand paint it with the correct paint.

If you're real careful and do a nice clean job, after a couple buffings you really wont notice it anymore.

I'm not saying it's going to be perfect and you know that black is very difficult but it's a good inexpensive way to make the ugly scratch fade into the darkness.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Can you post some good pics of the damage?

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

DO NOT USE RUBBING COMPOUND BY HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this is a common mistake made by owners and they end up making it worse. you need to have someone buff if out, seek professional help if you don't own a buffer or know how to use one, it should not cost more the $25-$45 for that job, its a 10 minute fix. I did one for a Caddy owner from this forum, and it took me 5 minutes, I didn't charge him anything, Gary

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.