Woodgrain parts question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Woodgrain parts question in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a question. 01 DTS I want to put wood grain on my center console piece around the NAV ...
    codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Woodgrain parts question

I have a question. 01 DTS

I want to put wood grain on my center console piece around the NAV screen and the climate control and that. The kits I see online have that piece but they're not real wood and they don't like to sell them separately.

Can I get this piece somewhere? Did GM ever do that part in wood?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Re: Woodgrain parts question

What you may want to do Codewise (seeing as how this ride of yours will be screaming "quality and class") is go ahead and buy the bogus piece, using it as a template for the real thing. GO to a good quality woodshop and get the proper veneer panel for your car, dimension it and cut out any button/switches, screens etc. from it and then glue the real deal in there.

A bit more work, but you're already knee-deep in it by now - what's a few more bucks at this point?

Frost, you're always full of comments. Thank you. That's a great idea. Funny thing is some of the people I work with are professional furniture restorers for Sotheby's. I can have anything I want made out of wood. I never thought of that.

I'm actually gearing up now to order some of the firsts bits and pieces. There's a deal on the CAI that won't last so I think that will be one of the first things to come. Tires this week and probably the grille if I can get that custom night vision thing worked out.

Well heck and darn it all Codewise - if you can get anything you want made up by these artisans, then why not go really custom and have them do a number of the glove box door, the instrument surrounds, etc.? I plan on doing that myself one of these winters - when the car is in storage -, but need to get the parts in first to make the templates for the real thing (Rosewood, in my case). I don't want to chance taking the existing pieces off and risk buggering them up for any reason. Far easier to just do the switcheroo when the replacements are ready to be put on.

I'd also like to cover the upper dash, along with any remaining vynil "bits" with Alcantara in the dark montana blue colour. That stuff is almost a dead ringer for suede and I think it would look alot richer than the existing stuff. Again, I want to get replacement parts from the junkyard and put the alcantara on that, then do the switch once it is done.

I have a friend with a Buick GN who went almost a full year with half his dash hanging out by it's wires. Looked like Royal Hell in that condition. Mind you, he didn't seem too flumoxed by it all,,,

Well I didn't say it was all free. And the template piece would be $55 plus S&H. That's a lot of coin for something we're going to trash at the end of it all.

I don't know. We'll see.

Do you have any idea on how that bezel comes off the dash? I could just take the bezel and have them make the actual part in wood rather than an overlay. And do you have any idea what wood is used in the car?

MashBill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille DTS

All the wood dash websites call it Zebrano. Below is probably more information than you wanted to know about it...

Microberlinia bisulcata
    Common Name: Zingana, zebrano, amouk, allen ele (CAM), izingana (G), enuk-enug (EGu), African zebrawood
    Scientific Name: Microberlinia bisulcata
    Categories: Timber, high risk
    Conservation Status: Critical

Introduction

The Cross-Sanaga-Bioko Coastal Forests and Atlantic Equatorial Coastal Forests of Cameroon support about 50 percent of the 7,000 to 8,000 plants endemic to Tropical West Africa, including the critically endangered endemic tree, Microberlinia bisulcata . These biological features, especially the presence of endemic families and genera indicates a long evolutionary past of the eco-region.

Why is the species important?

Microberlinia bisulcata forms ectomycorrhizal associations with soil fungi. This symbiotic relationship is vital for soil nutrient cycling, particularly phosphorus.

Where is it found?

Africa, Cameroon, Guinéo-Congolaise rainforest and evergreen coastal forest.

How do people use it?

Known as zebrano, the wood has alternating black and white stripes, making it a desirable decorative wood. It has been used for furniture, veneer, inlay, turning, and carving.

Why is it threatened?

The wood fetches high prices on the international market, leading to excessive timber extraction.

Wow so why do we use it in our cars? That's a shame.

Thank you

We use it in our cars because we're BIG-ASS guys who drive BIG-ASS cars and like to flaunt all of our environmental and greening faux=pas to the rest of the world.

But it doesn't come cheap. Do you have any idea what I had to pay for my genuine baby seal skin fur seats? Not to mention the sperm whale bone used for all my knobs, shifter, turn signal stalk, etc.

LOL I called my guy today and he told me we can get the piece of wood for $17 They he'll make the part from the existing bezel.

Now how does this thing come off damn it. Anyone know?

MashBill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille DTS

From the service manual:

Trim Panel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Center Removal Procedure

1. Use a small hooked tool and reach behind the center trim panel near the top of the panel, next to the HVAC control, and pull out on each side.
    2. Pull towards the rear of the vehicle in order to disengage the center trim panel retainers.
    3. Remove the center trim panel.

It just snaps on and off. No screws are used.

Bill

Cool thanks. I'll give it a try.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.