Swirl pics before/after
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Swirl pics before/after in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I would say this is the biggest challenge for novice detailers, car owners. If you follow my simple guidelines (explained ...
    turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Swirl pics before/after

I would say this is the biggest challenge for novice detailers, car owners. If you follow my simple guidelines (explained in my DVD) this situation won't happend to you, However if it does, you have one of two choices, take it to a pro, or do it yourself. Some people are intimidated by using a buffer on their car, and if you are planning on trying it out for the first time, start out on your wife's car (LOL! I could not resist that one!!) seriously go to a body shop, get a fender, and experiment, In this case, here is what I did to correct the swirls with this car. using my favorite machine the DeWalt DW443 DA buffer, I started out with a light compound from Car-brite, with a yellow pad. This first step is called "paint leveling". after I removed most of the swirls I came back next with my Ultimate paint cleaner polish. using a polishing pads. I have removed some light swirls just by using my paint cleaner before, but these required a little more "Cut". Remember you will not achieve the same results if you try this by hand. the machine will work the finish deeper and more efffectively. working in slow motion with the machine on med setting I was able to even out the paint with the compound, and my cleaner/polish brought life back to the finish. I finished with my sealant, to produce what you see in the last picture.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

Re: Swirl pics before/after

Magic.

What's so special about a da buffer? I have a orbital. is that the same?

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1989 STS / 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Gary, why is the DW443 listed as a Right Angle Random Orbit Sander? Is that it?
    Ownership:
    89 STS (1 of 1893) - FOR SALE
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

DA (dual action) is the same thing as an orbital. yes the DW443 is listed as a grinder but trust me, its a DA machine, and is my favorite buffer and I have 4 of them. someone pointed this out to me so I thought I would clarify. The before and after pic are two different sections of the same car
    here is how the job went down., the car came in a mess, what you saw on the hood was on the entire car, I shot the first pic before I started the job. It literaly took me over 5 hours, after I was done, yes the light conditions were different heck it was much later. I took the after pic from the best angle I had, to be honest I never gave any thought to it took alot out of me, and I just tired to post what I did, if I was thinking clearly I would of shot the hood in the after shot, forgive me. gary

This is probably a better shot of before and after on the same area.This was another diaster. gary

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1989 STS / 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Is that a 69 Camaro
    Ownership:
    89 STS (1 of 1893) - FOR SALE
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
    DA (dual action) is the same thing as an orbital.
    Gary, are you certain of this? I'd always read that the DA meant that the buffing pad travelled in oscillating motion (back-and-forth figure-8 style) in addition to revolving around the center line - whereas an orbital was a pure circular motion. Thus, the 'safety' of a D/A buffer, being less prone to burning the paintwork by revolving around the same pattern continuously.

Just checking.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

My "orbital" (which I have never even used) spins around the center, and also rotates. Is this the best one to use?

The term Dual action defines the meaning of two distinct movements, this rotating and spinning, or "osillating". orbital is also known as a DA buffer. you can't burn the paint with either machine unless you sit on it while using it. the above car is a 66 Corvette. gary

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Uh oh, so wait a minute. A dual-action is the same thing as a random orbital. So do you use a rotary? A rotary is the one that goes at high-speed right? So which one do you recommend for someone like me who wants to purchase? If the Dewalt you use is a DA buffer, how is that different than one of those Waxmaster buffers everyone seems to have?

I would not suggest using a high speed, even I only use one on a rare occassion. the difference between that old wax master and todays machines is technology. the new DeWalt DA has a motor that stands up to the work it is assigned to do. old machines bog down. gary

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
    The term Dual action defines the meaning of two distinct movements, this rotating and spinning, or "osillating". orbital is also known as a DA buffer. you can't burn the paint with either machine unless you sit on it while using it. the above car is a 66 Corvette. gary
    Ok, I gotcha now - D/A = Orbital, vs ROTARY which is purely circular. Momentary brain fart/old age sets in once again....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.