what should i do?! w/ pictures
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, what should i do?! w/ pictures in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm very new to any type of body work. with that said, Take a look at these pictures, and please ...
    Tyrannous is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1973 cadillac sedan deville

what should i do?! w/ pictures

I'm very new to any type of body work. with that said, Take a look at these pictures, and please share any information you can with me to help. What is the best course of action before this gets irreparable? Any information is welcomed!

(1973 sedan deville Color: Harvest Yellow)
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Re: what should i do?! w/ pictures

To do it right, you will have to cut and paste some new sheet metal - especially around the rear window. Get a pro to do it if you aren't sure of your own prowess with a torch and welder!!

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

That's definately something I would take to an autobody shop, I just wouldn't trust myself with something like that. If you can't afford to have it professionally repaired though, you might try a local votech and see if they could do it for free.

thanks for the quick advice! please note the areas shown seem to be surface rust, and has not rusted through, or become brittle..? fyi?

im on a very limited budget and i wanted to stop the rust, i doubt i have enough money to get a pro to fix this anytime soon...? any other ideas for the immediate?

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

For the side trim, just take off the trim, reflector, whatever, Then just get at the metal with a wire brush, rough sand paper, anything that'll take as much ruct off as you can. Then prime with rustolium(spelling) anti-rust primer and paint, not that hard, and it'll keep it from getting any worse untill you can get it fixed the right way.

Pretty much the same with the back window, but harder since the only way you can get it all is to lift up/take off that section of vinyl top .

Yeah, Ben's got it. Grind that rust off!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Don't try to grind it off or do anything major with it. It will only make it worse later. Sand all the loose stuff off and clean it well and then put some paint over it. Even if you put a few layers of touch up paint over it it will stop it from getting worse.

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Continuing along on Brougham's idea, look for a paint that will neutralize the rust - like POR 15 or maybe rust-chek or something like that. It stops any more rust from forming and destroys the stuff it touches - rust, that is,,,,,,,

POR-15 works better than just about anything I've ever used. Incredible how strong it is.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

My jeep project was infested with that......I go over with a wire brush attachment....get most of it destroyed that way...if you make some small holes no biggie.......proceed with a rust killer/inhibitor that turns it into metal...like Osfold??? i cant recall the name of what i used...its expensive I borrowed some from a friend....

When I was done letting that drying I bondo'd my jeep...alotta people hate it and I would have to say I do but if you do it CORRECT unlike alotta people out there it is beautiful results that you can expect....

sand down etc.....prep for primer....

I bought a 2 stage turbine spray gun and diluted primer sprayed the jeep down....after drying I diluted rustoleum 1 stage gloss paint and sprayed it black.....I purposely did not dilulte it completly becuase I wanted a rough look but if you diluite it completely the spray comes out just like a compressor would do it......and tada all gone...

Turbine cost me 175 ....then you have a gallon of 1stage gloss for about 40 and your primer about 20......and you have a painted car without rust......but alotta time and work

here is mine...the rust was BAD under teh paint....

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    Don't try to grind it off or do anything major with it. It will only make it worse later. Sand all the loose stuff off and clean it well and then put some paint over it. Even if you put a few layers of touch up paint over it it will stop it from getting worse.
    umm, isn't that what I said? thats basicly how I ment it anyway.

thanks so much for the very new information to me! i knew you guys would have some answers!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.