detail shop around nyc to get rid of swirl marks.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, detail shop around nyc to get rid of swirl marks. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; i tried so many different things to get rid of these damn swirl marks but they wont come oiut does ...
    Uria702 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade black w/ navi

detail shop around nyc to get rid of swirl marks.

i tried so many different things to get rid of these damn swirl marks but they wont come oiut does anyone know any good shop in or around nyc or northern new jersey that can do a good job detailing? everytime i let someone do it it seems like it looks good for a week, i wash it and then all the swirl marks come back more vibrant then ever, i am willing to pay as long as i get to avoid a new paint job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Re: detail shop around nyc to get rid of swirl marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uria702 View Post
    i tried so many different things to get rid of these damn swirl marks but they wont come oiut does anyone know any good shop in or around nyc or northern new jersey that can do a good job detailing? everytime i let someone do it it seems like it looks good for a week, i wash it and then all the swirl marks come back more vibrant then ever, i am willing to pay as long as i get to avoid a new paint job.
    Sounds like the detailers you've been going to just use really oily products to fill in the marks temorarily, until they wash away. This is usually a sign they don't a) have the write products and tools, and b) they just don't know what they're doing.

There's a lot of great ones out there, and I think a great bet for finding one would be to check out this following board. It's nothing but detailing enthusiasts, and a lot of the people on there run their own businesses or can recommend someone in a certain area to do the work.

Autopia Car Detailing Forum - Car Detailing (Wash, Wax, Polish) Enthusiast Forum.

Just remember, though, if you do find someone who can deal with the swirls properly, you MUST be very strict and cautious with your care of it from then on, in order to avoid more of the same...no auto car washes, no old or scratchy towels, and washing/polishing/waxing very carefully.

Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

Autopia is great, I learned a lot there. To really get them out, you will need to use a Porter Cable with the correct pads and swirl removal products or you could user a rotary (this can damage the paint if you don't know how to do it). The PC costs about $100 and pads will set you back another $50. But you can do it yourself and with the proper washing techniques, you will only have to do it yearly.

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Buy my DVD and do it yourself Perfect Auto Finish - Gary Kouba - Auto Detailing gary

AllCads is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

The swirl marks are from when the car has been wet sanded. It starts with ruff grit and works into very fine. If you are noticing them then your clear coat has worn to the point of showing some of the ruffer grit marks. The idea is to make the scratches so small that they cannot be seen. With time and improper management of a paint job they will be noticable.

Do not use soap on your car unless it is absolutely necessary. It really only eat the wax up and the paint. A wax job that should be good for 6 months may be gone after two with repeated washings. This exposes the paint to the enviroment then the soap.

A body shop could wet sand and rub it out again. I do not know if any of them will as they do not want to be liable. They did not spray the car and do not want you coming back to them if it peels, fades, or looks bad. As this may not actually be their fault and the money is not that good to take the risk for a lot of them.

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Here is a web site that includes certified detailers
    Enter

Uria702 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade black w/ navi

well i got most of them out by using that "turtle wax paint enhancer" the one with the chip stick by hand and then using "rain dance show car formula" liquid wax with carnuba wax. worked really well and got rid of most of the swirl marks.
    i usually hand wax the car once a week or so to ensure i get the best shine and protection available.
    all those buffers do is cause more damage then they fix, hand application is always the best.

Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by AllCads View Post
    The swirl marks are from when the car has been wet sanded. It starts with ruff grit and works into very fine. If you are noticing them then your clear coat has worn to the point of showing some of the ruffer grit marks. The idea is to make the scratches so small that they cannot be seen. With time and improper management of a paint job they will be noticable.

Do not use soap on your car unless it is absolutely necessary. It really only eat the wax up and the paint. A wax job that should be good for 6 months may be gone after two with repeated washings. This exposes the paint to the enviroment then the soap.

A body shop could wet sand and rub it out again. I do not know if any of them will as they do not want to be liable. They did not spray the car and do not want you coming back to them if it peels, fades, or looks bad. As this may not actually be their fault and the money is not that good to take the risk for a lot of them.
    I don't want to flame you but ummmm where are you getting your information from? Don't use soap? Actually you should use the two bucket method to wash the car, wool washmitt, and a good conditioner that won't strip the wax. And your advise on the wet sand? The swirls comge from drit getting ground into the paint, not from a previous wetsand. The wetsand strips off so much clearcost that you should't advise that first. You should try a machine polisher prior to that.

AllCads is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Really the soap is in the eyes of the beholder. I spray my car off once a week. Why would I use soap to knock off dust. Undoubtly there is grime that accumulates at the bottom of the car along the rockers. Soap on these spots is not a bad option if the high pressure does not remove them. You would have to bare into them much harder without the soap to remove them by hand. That being said soap is a detergent. That means you have to bare into it for it to be effective. A degreaser would bring the grim on top of it but that is not really a good idea either. Both would eat the wax alive.

I am not sure that you understand quite what I am saying. A 2500 grit sand paper will never go as deep as a 1000 grit. You could sand all day and never get down to that level. The surface would become to smooth and the 2500 would be in effective. You could bear into it but then you would burn the paint. Again you still would not get as deep. That kind of is the idea behind it. The scratches become so many and so small that you can not see the bigger ones. Slowly eroding off the smoothness is gone then showing the deeper scratches. You can hide them but they will return. Carnuba wax is a great choice. It is the hardest wax on Earth. This will stay in these scratches for a time. Maintaining this wax is the only way to hide them without going back over it again. I thought perhaps he was trying to get them to rub out his car. Dirt does not get ground into a car in even swirl marks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.