22 inch rims to 17 inch wheel - world of a difference in ride quality
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, 22 inch rims to 17 inch wheel - world of a difference in ride quality in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well, I just had my 22 inch wheels replaced by the chrome stock 17 inch wheels and I'm very happy ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

22 inch rims to 17 inch wheel - world of a difference in ride quality

Well, I just had my 22 inch wheels replaced by the chrome stock 17 inch wheels and I'm very happy about it. The ride is MUCH smoother and softer. Now it feels like a Cadillac and not a Chevy pickup truck. I can respect WHY people want huge wheels - they look great - but I need the soft ride. I liked the ride in my Fleetwood Brougham and this is now closer to that...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

Re: 22 inch rims to 17 inch wheel - world of a difference in ride quality

I went from 17 to 20 and was expecting a harsher ride than what I already had with the Eibach springs, but I couldn't tell the difference. <shrugs>

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

I guess the difference is more noticeable with the Escalade, then. Up here, it is "de rigeur" to swap out the stock rims wth gi-normous chromed behemoths as soon as the ink is dry on the paperwork for getting the Caddy Truck.

You're the first I've heard that went BACk to stockers, tho - for a very sound reason, too!!! I would dare to suggest that more would follow your lead if their ego and self esteem didn't keep geting in the way!

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Sal living in Florida like you do I was suprised the 22's gave you that bad of a ride, in the northeast I could understand that. You must be getting old. What size tires did you have?

Haha. I'm not sure what size tires are on there now. I'll check the next time I get outside. I've been having a VERY busy day today. All I know is, the old tires were VERY low profile. And, I plan on driving the truck up to New York this Christmas - so.. Pothole city.. I'd have bent those rims all over the place...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

If you use 22's then 45 series will give you the best ride, the 35 & 40 series tires have less air in them and will give you a harsh ride.

I don't know for sure which they were.. Maybe you could tell from my pictures? Otherwise, if I go to 20s - which series would be best there? For a soft as possible ride...

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Way to go, SAL!!!

I like a soft ride too, and I believe that stock is good!

I've owned a car with 18" rims and very low-profile tires, and it was not a pleasant experience. If the car's suspension was originally designed for that, it seems to work out okay though.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

There are so many disadvantages to over sizing wheels I just don't see the point.

It completely changes the ride and handling characteristics of the vehicle. It usually goes against the way the vehicle was engineered safety wise and performance wise. It just doesn't make sense. Most of the time it makes the vehicle look stupid like a hot-wheels car or something. Going up one size increases the hydroplane factor by 10. Why would you knowingly do this.

Not to mention the pain in the ass to get the speedo correct. It's unsafe and a waste of money.

Just get some nice looking wheels in the correct size, you'll be happier and so will your car.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Mind you, I replaced the stock 14inchers on the 1988 Deville witht the stock 16 inchers off the '97 Deville and it looks "aces".

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Mind you, I replaced the stock 14inchers on the 1988 Deville witht the stock 16 inchers off the '97 Deville and it looks "aces".

That's just about right for that car.

The goal for most of these people is to make their car look like an old buckboard wagon from a shoot-em-up western movie.

There's an '84 Cutlass 4-door around here with 22" rims on it. I have no idea how they did it, but I'm sure the car can't turn very sharply because I've seen him try.

I would think there is some kind of inspection the car would have to pass to be road-worthy. If you can't turn within a certain radius it should fail.

MDecker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC, 2007 SRX V8 AWD, 2006 Escalade ESV

I replaced the 17" stock alloys with 18" aftermarket shiny chrome to match all the chrome on the car... Can't tell the difference in the ride at all.

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    There are so many disadvantages to over sizing wheels I just don't see the point.

It completely changes the ride and handling characteristics of the vehicle. It usually goes against the way the vehicle was engineered safety wise and performance wise. It just doesn't make sense. Most of the time it makes the vehicle look stupid like a hot-wheels car or something. Going up one size increases the hydroplane factor by 10. Why would you knowingly do this.

Not to mention the pain in the ass to get the speedo correct. It's unsafe and a waste of money.

Just get some nice looking wheels in the correct size, you'll be happier and so will your car.

If you keep the same diameter as the stock tires there is no speedo correction needed. Also many aftermarket wheels are much stronger than the stock wheels, and aftermarket offers much better finishes, after all the stock wheels are made by the lowest bidder, that is how car manufacturers do it. You can get the 07' and up Escalade's from the factory with 18" wheels or 22" wheels. I do agree that some people make their cars and trucks look stupid by some of their choices.

Shieldwolf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 seville sts

yes your ride will improve with smaller wheels but is it not funny turning a 4x4 suv into a car that you gotta be afraid of potholes in? I wanna see some mud on these beasts.

MTLean is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS 2001

i roll with 17's in the winter down here and it pushes me to drive hella faster than my usual 20-30km/h on 22's lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.