Hand washing tip
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Hand washing tip in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hand washing tip

Recently I had a customer come to my shop and ask me a host of questions. He introduced himself and showed me his AMG Benz (black, what else) with swirls marks. They were not bad, but I could tell he was anal. I looked at it in different angles, and if the light was just right, I could see them, He went on to say that he only hand washed the car, never went to an automatic wash, and he couldn’t understand why the swirls were there. So I started asking questions about his hand wash process. All his steps were fine until he came to the last one, use was using a bath towel to dry his car. Bad choice. I told him about waffle weave micro fiber (which he never heard of) and I said after I removed the swirls he should use only a waffle weave towel to dry. Terri towels have proven to be damaging to a finish because of the construction of the material. Many terri type towels are harsh, and can be abrasive. Take a waffle weave towel; they have thousands of little cubes, to trap any contaminant inside it always leaving a soft gentle surface touching your car. I got the swirls out for him, and he was extremely pleased. In my business I try to educate people so they can keep their car looking the way I detailed it. I love this stuff. Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Re: Hand washing tip

Is the micro cloth also good and recomended for washing the car?,is a sponge okay to wash with?. I recently bought a small microcloth to dry my car with,works good. tnx

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

NEVER use a sponge to wash your car, it can harm the finish, stick with chenilli, terri lambs wool or micro fiber mits. also, don't use a micro fiber towel to wash either, save those for removing was/pollish/paint sealant, or windows. Micro fiber towels should not be wasted doing dirty jobs like washing or applying polish, since they have super capabilities to absorb water, why load up the fibers with dirt/ save them for the fineese jobs, Gary

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Some of those terry towels CLAIM to be 100% cotton (which wouldn't cause swirls) but they are lying.

Always use the burn test. Pull a thread off and light it up. You can always spot the unnatural fibers this way, and they are usually the culprit for swirls.

Blow-drying is the best solution I've found yet. Follow that up with the waffle weave/microfiber towel like Gary said.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Uhhhhhhh, what results are we supposed to look for with burn test? tnx

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    Uhhhhhhh, what results are we supposed to look for with burn test? tnx
    Oh! Sorry!

You're looking for fibers that melt into a little plastic ball. Natural stuff just burns into powdery ashes. Polyester, nylon, dacron, rayon or whatever will turn into globs of plastic. Even the 80/20 blends will not burn away cleanly. They'll also leave little scratches if you rub too hard.

Another thing to watch out for is the little tags that are sewn on the towels. I was indiscriminantly using old bath towels and t-shirts without ripping the tags off. Stupid stupid stupid.

Get a waffle weave towel. It's money well spent, and it will last you a long time if you take care of it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.