Chrome-like Strip Rear Bumper 1998 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Chrome-like Strip Rear Bumper 1998 Deville in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; No doubt this has been answered but I can't find it. The strip of chrome-like material on the rear bumper ...
    TOM HARMON is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 DEVILLE

Unhappy Chrome-like Strip Rear Bumper 1998 Deville

No doubt this has been answered but I can't find it. The strip of chrome-like material on the rear bumper of my 98 deville fell off. I found it and want to re-attach it. How is this done? glue? tape? Thanks for any help.
    South Dakota

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Re: Chrome-like Strip Rear Bumper 1998 Deville

3m makes both a glue and a double-sided tape that should do the trick for you. I think you can find it at a Home Depot or Lowe's. I have a roll of the tape that has lasted me two years so far. I use it for everything.

I don't know what originally held it in place. Do you have any clues on the missing piece?

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

A small segment near the end on mine began to fall off. I just used a little contact cement and it has held up well for the past month now. If the whole strip fell off though I think I would use some double sided sticky tape.

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Originally it was held on with a gooey, silicone-like adhesive - not unlike gorilla snot.

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Originally it was held on with a gooey, silicone-like adhesive - not unlike gorilla snot.
    I would get the 3M glue for this. It comes in a red box, I got it at a local hardware store. Back when I had my Blazer I used it to but the Chevrolet badge back on the rear, works like a charm. Just make sure the surface is completley clean before you stick it on.

Kimura-sensei is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville 99

I had same problem with my 99 deville, about 1 foot was detaching. But at the time, I was in middle of nowhere... 3M red doublesided adhesive tape would be ideal, but given what's available... I used Elmer's rubber cement. You know what? It's still firmly attached for the past 2 years. Go figure.

TOM HARMON is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 DEVILLE

Thanks for the help. Used the 3-M tape and it is nice and tight. Getting the old tape off the trim was a problem - nylon pot scrubber worked best and then removed the adhesive residue with a wire brush on my hand drill. Finished up with alcohol and I think it is fixed for good.
    THH

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by TOM HARMON View Post
    Thanks for the help. Used the 3-M tape and it is nice and tight. Getting the old tape off the trim was a problem - nylon pot scrubber worked best and then removed the adhesive residue with a wire brush on my hand drill. Finished up with alcohol and I think it is fixed for good.
    THH
    That's good news. It sounds like the old stuff dry-rotted on you, I guess that can happen over the course of eight or nine years.

You're probably good now until 2015.

But don't wait until then to visit us again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.