What's in Your Car Care Arsenal?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, What's in Your Car Care Arsenal? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Let me preface this by stating that I am not in any way selling these products mentioned nor am I ...
    SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Question What's in Your Car Care Arsenal?

Let me preface this by stating that I am not in any way selling these products mentioned nor am I affiliated in any way with the products mentioned. I am simply submitting this thread as a result of my enthusiasm and passion for vehicles and what I use to keep them looking like new.

Chrome:
    Griot’s Garage No Scratch Chrome Polish which is simply the finest I’ve ever used as it does not scratch. It will not work well on pitted or rusted chrome that you are trying to cleanup.

Mothers Chrome Polish runs a close second, and it readily available at most auto stores.
    Billet:
    Mothers Billet Metal Polish is the best way to keep billet like new is you start with it to begin with. A fine polish that works exceedingly well even on polished stainless steel. I also use this on faded headlights, sidemarker, and tail lights to restore the plastic and follow it by Mothers Plastic Polish.

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish is the best means of taking wheels or parts that have their fair share of oxidization and bringing them to a brilliant shine; I finish with Mothers Billet Metal Polish.

Simichrome Polish is a long time favorite and works well on many metal surfaces, plus you can use it on chrome; this is also a favorite among those who polish the oxidation from headlights, sidemarkers, and tail lights.
    Hard Plastic Polish:
    Mothers Plastic Polish: The best way to keep hard plastic parts (unpainted) looking like new or after restoring.
    Exterior Textured Flexible Plastic Body Panels:
    Stoner Trim Shine sprays on easily and look great; I simply wipe off the overspray with a detailing cloth and I’m done. I use this on the rubber front end lower valances.

Lexol Vinylex: Simply one of my all time favorites and the results never fail to please. It is not as easy to apply as Stoner Trim Shine.

ArmorAll Gel Protectant: New to the market, and I had all but given up on ArmorAll until I saw this and tried it. The gel concept is one of the smartest ways to apply protectant. 3M used to sell a wonderful protectant that was a gel too, but it is long since gone.
    Interior Parts: I use different products on different areas.
    HVAC vents:
    Stoner More Shine for Interiors gets into the the faceted surfaces of the vents. I spray onto the more complicated or busy areas such as dials, controls and some levers.

Dash:
    Lexol Vinylex and I have been trying ArmorAll Gel Protectant (which is not as shiny but goes on well).

Leather:
    Lexol Leather Cleaner to clean.
    Lexol Leather Conditioner to preserve.
    Griot’s Garage Leather Care is also very good and has a pleasant leather scent aroma to it.
    Car Wash:
    Griot’s Garage Car Wash that I purchase by the gallon.
    Wheels:
    Griot’s Garage Wheel Cleaner that I purchase by the gallon. Most people do not realize that a lot of wheel cleaning products contain a mild acid and do more damage to rims that benefit, especially if left on too long. Griot’s does not contain acids and it has become my product of choice.
    Clay Bar:
    Mothers Clay Bar
    Griot’s Garage Clay Bar
    Wax:
    Griot’s Garage Best of Show Wax
    Stoner Bead Max

Surprising Stoner Bead Max is becoming my favorite as the spray can (yes, you spray it on) lasts a long time and the results are some of the best I’ve seen. For those into the polymers Stoners beginning are in the commercial detailing arena and they sell bulk product to the general public: http://www.detailingdirect.com/
    Exterior Instant Detailing:
    This area is the most fun for me as I pickup detailing sprays all the time to see how they work and I constantly use them on my vehicles.

Griot’s Garage Speed Shine which I buy by the gallon. My favorite when claying finishes as a lubricant.

Mothers Showtime Instant Detailer is the best smelling detailer ever with a scent of cinnamon.

Meguiars Quik Detailer, a bargain when purchased in the 32 oz. size.

Stoner Speed Bead which is excellent for removing gum, tar, and other harsh contaminates while leaving an excellent shine. It is not watery as the other detailers, so I use it less often. Again, a can goes a long way.
    Polishing Equipment:
    Porter-Cable Orbital Polisher with Griot’s Garage pads and polishing compounds 1, 2, 3, and 4. These compounds are outstanding.
    Tires:
    Stoner More Shine Less Time bought by the carton to save money. Always a favorite as the results are instant. The only drawback is that it spray so you have to run a detailing cloth around the edge of edge rim to remove the excess.

While at the recent SoCal Cadillac Meet one of the members used the new ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine Gel and I have to say the results were outstanding so the next time I see a bottle I will buy it.
    Engine Bay:
    Griot’s Engine Cleaner bought by the gallon. Detailing is a matter of wax, and protectant mentioned elsewhere here. I always get compliments from the mechanics who work on our vehicles as to how clean they are and how they appreciate being able to work on a clean engine.
    Pressure Washer:
    I special ordered a variable pressure German-made Kranzle. This machine is completely tailorable to my needs all the way from a soft mist and wide spray pattern to a concrete ripping focused jet blast. I use it occasionally on my tires and under the fender wells and on the engine bay (a light mist mostly).

Hose Nozzle:
    Griot’s Garage Finest Hose Nozzle and Shutoff Valve. You could use this thing to put out fires as it modeled after a fire nozzle. This was the first of its kind, and now it is often copied and sold inexpensively. The Griot’s model is not inexpensive and is of heirloom quality and I relish the day when I pass it onto my son.
    Tire Gauge:
    Griot’s Garage Professional Tire Inflating Gun is a true joy to own and use as I am incredibly anal retentive about tire pressures and check all our vehicles at least once a week, including all spare tires. I’ve owned many a tire inflator and this one is the best all around inflator.
    The products mentioned are the ones I have narrowed down to using over many years. As usual matters do change with time and products that I stopped using, because they were not that good, have changed, as in the case of ArmorAll. Anything that 3M makes is outstanding and I currently do not have any in my collection, but intend to pick some up as 3M products are first-class.

I am interested to learn what others are using and any tricks or hints they have come upon. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

Re: What's in Your Car Care Arsenal?

Sheesh you are a Griots fan.

Me, nothin but Meg's (Meguiars)

Meguiars g100 Dual Action Polisher
    2 8006 Polishing Pads
    1 9006 Finishing Pad
    NXT Wax Liquid
    Meguiars Quik Clay System
    MEguiars Clay
    Meguiars Water Magnet
    Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber
    Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze
    Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
    Meguiars High Tech Applicator Pads
    Meguiars Even Coat Applicator Pads
    Meguiars NXT Car Wash
    Meguiars Deep Crystal Car Wash
    MEguiars Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt
    MEguiars Ultra Plush Wah Mitt
    Meguiars Chenille Wash Pad
    Meguiars #7 Pure Polish
    Meguiars NXT Glass Cleaner
    Meguiars Versa Angle Wide Body Brush
    MEguiars Versa Angle Tire Brush
    Meguiars Versa Angle Wheel Spoke Brush
    Meguiars ScratchX
    Meguiars DC#3 Caurnuba Wax
    Meguiars A12 Cleaner Wax
    Meguiars ColorX
    Meguiars Leather Care
    Meguiars All Surface Interior Brush
    MEguiars High Gloss Endurance Gel
    MEguiars Slide Lock Detail Brush

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

I use Bubba Bolinski - he works down the street from me at the Detail Shop.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Well beside several hundred cases of Zaino and Stoner products I have a ton of 3M glazes and scratch and swirl products (that's for the samples 3M) , and a lifetime supply of Mother's billet metal polish.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I've had a lot of good luck with 3m. I have their swirl remover, rubbing compound, glaze, and paste wax. That was really all I needed to keep our fleet of black cars looking great. (I'll never buy black again! Too much work!)

I recently picked up a Mothers clay bar kit. By far it's the best one I've used. I liked the texture of the clay. I think just about any detailing spray will do as a lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1CK
    Sheesh you are a Griots fan.
    I do like Griot's for their quality, but it the bulk pricing that I like even better. The problem is that when you buy a gallon of a product and then you find something better, you are stuck with finding a neighbor or friend who wants it.

You wouldn't be a Meguiars fan would you

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    I use Bubba Bolinski - he works down the street from me at the Detail Shop.
    Bubba doesn't live down the street from me, but I used to use a detailing shop near a place where I worked that was up to the standards I want, but I no longer work in that area, and I have not found any shop as good.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    Well beside several hundred cases of Zaino and Stoner products I have a ton of 3M glazes and scratch and swirl products (that's for the samples 3M) , and a lifetime supply of Mother's billet metal polish.
    Zaino is great, but I am finding my time more limited these days. I stumbled upon Stoner Max Bead through buying their Complete Detail Kit. The funny thing is that the Speed Bead and Bead Max just sat in the box for over a year (I thought there was no way to get a great wax product out of a can) and one day I decided to try them one of my motorcycles--sold ever since. Mothers has a very impressive OTC lineup than never fails to please.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    I've had a lot of good luck with 3m. I have their swirl remover, rubbing compound, glaze, and paste wax. That was really all I needed to keep our fleet of black cars looking great. (I'll never buy black again! Too much work!)

I recently picked up a Mothers clay bar kit. By far it's the best one I've used. I liked the texture of the clay. I think just about any detailing spray will do as a lubricant.
    I have always loved 3M (totally Americana to me, and one of the finest large corporations on the planet). I need to start picking up their line and saw some at NAPA; next time I'm in there I'll buy some.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Oh jeeze...

1 Porter Cable 7336
    1 Set of Sonus SFX pads
    1 Sonus Swirlbuster Pad

Sonus SFX 1 Finish Restore Polish
    Sonus SFX 2 Enhanced Swirl Remover
    Sonus SFX 3 Final Finish Polish
    Sonus Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay
    Sonus Acrylic Detailing Spritz

Duragloss 105 Total Performance Polish
    Duragloss 111 Clear Coat Polish
    Duragloss 951 AquaWax
    Duragloss 221 Leather Conditioner
    Duragloss 671 Swirl Mark Remover
    Duragloss 921 Fast Clean and Shine

Klasse All-in-One
    Klasse Super Glaze

Stoner Invisible Glass

Plexus Plastic Cleaner and Polish

Woody Wax

303 Protectant
    303 Cleaner

Collinite Insulator Wax
    P21S
    Turtle Wax Platinum Ultra High Gloss Liquid Wax

Meg's ScratchX

large pile of M/F towels of varying usefullness and quality
    large pile of foam applicators, sponges, wash mitts, brushes, rags, buckets and other bric-a-brac, also of varying usefullness and quality

1 spray bottle 50/50 Vinegar and Water
    1 spray bottle 1/5 IPA and water
    1 spray bottle distilled water

2 "Absorbers", one unopened.
    3 WW drying towels
    4 dried out chamois
    2 dried out fake chamois

Trial starter set of FinishKare stuff

a ton of other junk that rarely sees the light of day - I'm a car care product slut..

oh, and a can of Simonize

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

I hate meg clay bar. After using for 3 hours it break apart. I have to let it rest overning before I could use it again.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Jim's garage looks like I wish mine did!

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    Jim's garage looks like I wish mine did!

Actually, that's just the boat house - no garage here. But the boat house is WAY too small for a boat, so I keep all my car crap in it...

I've got way too much junk in there - I just keep trying new products to see how well they perform....although, I must say, I've been very impressed with the entire DuraGloss line - it may become my go-to stuff, forget all the rest.

I also keep the gas for the mower, paint, thinner, paint stripper and multifarious other chemical concotions in there, so every time I walk in, it's like a 60s flashback...you should see how the ceiling changes color with all these neat mushrooms and unicorns...

Quote Originally Posted by JimHare
    I've got way too much junk in there - I just keep trying new products to see how well they perform...although, I must say, I've been very impressed with the entire DuraGloss line - it may become my go-to stuff, forget all the rest.
    LOL, as I see another person after my own heart. I've tried going with just one product line, but inevitability there comes along something that is better in its category. I simply cannot resist buying product when I see it on the shelves and if we are in chain store, but wife inevitably sees a new car product tucked among the others goods when we arrive at the checkout counter or a new package at our front door from some automotive product company. Sorry, but I am a total product addict!

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Man alive, you guys are spending a ton of cash on detailing supplies, I used to do that before I become a pro, now I just use my Ultimate line, saved lots of money, and the results are stunning. Most companies make too many items, because they want you to buy more. gk

Thumbs up Re: What's in Your Car Care Arsenal?

Quote Originally Posted by turbomangt
    "Man alive, you guys are spending a ton of cash on detailing supplies,.."
    And lovin' it! It makes me happy to see what my options are and to see how things change, because they do change.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomangt
    Man alive, you guys are spending a ton of cash on detailing supplies, I used to do that before I become a pro, now I just use my Ultimate line, saved lots of money, and the results are stunning. Most companies make too many items, because they want you to buy more. gk

"Stop me before I wax again!!

Gary, I hear what you're saying - but you have to remember that a lot of that junk in my boat house is 2 or 3 years old - you've only been guiding us down the right path for a couple of months...

How was the 49th state? See any Esquimaux? Have you driven a fiord lately? Did your salad come with iceberg lettuce? Did you hear about the Nome Nudist? He went to the Polar bare...

I got a million of 'em ..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.