What is a perfectionist to do with a black car?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, What is a perfectionist to do with a black car? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Two months ago, I purchased a 2003 Caddy Seville SLS, black on black. It's a stunning car! When I first ...
    bhoppes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS

What is a perfectionist to do with a black car?

Two months ago, I purchased a 2003 Caddy Seville SLS, black on black. It's a stunning car! When I first went to pick the car up, the hood and trunk was full of "spider" swirl scratches and told the dealer I wanted it fixed before I bought it. Well they sorta fixed it. Most of the scrathes came out but were still there. So being somewhat of a detailer I took a buffer and some HEAVY compound to the car, then polish, and finally wax. The process took me a good 8-9 hours. Finally, I pulled the car outside and it was absolutley gorgeous. Just like the day from the factory. Well after two or three weeks and a few washings, the wax started to "fade" away (as usual). And I started seeing the scrathes again only this time with the same marks I saw when I first saw the car at the dealer!!! I am livid. All that work down the drain. And now the car also has etched water spots that will not come out with heavy compound. I wash my car myself and pretty much use a new sponge for fear of scratching the car with a dirty sponge and I only use cotton to dry the car. So is there an expert out there that can tell me how to fix this problem or what?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Re: What is a perfectionist to do with a black car?

When Gary (turbomangt) gets back from his Vacation I'm sure he'll pitch his products (with good reason, I might add...) But as another Black/Black owner ( times 2!!!! Yikes) here's my .02 worth.

1) You'll never be satisfied. Black shows EVERYTHING. I get torqued up at the footprints the gnats leave on my Eldo Every little scratch, smear, mar, rough spot, spiderweb, swirl mark and road chip mark will be 10x more visible on black than on almost any other color. You'll go crazy trying to fix them all.

2) I think what happened is the wax you used had some fillers in it that hid the swirls for a while, but the fillers evaporate over time and soon enough, the marks are back. You sound like you already realized that, I just added it for other reader's sakes.

3) Be thankful the dealer didn't add more swirls to it. I'd have never let them get their hands on it. I'm still trying to buff out the swirls Kerbeck put in my Eldo 15 months ago.

4) Have you tried vinegar and water 50/50 on the water spots?

5) You say "buffer" in your post - do you mean a DeWalt or other rotary, or a D/A polisher like the Porter Cable, or do you mean one of those 10" Sears Craftsman polishers?

6) Did you really use a rubbing compound on your clearcoat? I'd have thought that was generally recommended against. I've found that a medium cut swirl remover with a Sonus SFX pad is about all the heavier I'd want to use at one time on my Eldo.

7) Speaking of Sonus, I've heard/read some good things about their new "SwirlBuster" polish.

8) in closing, I have just one other addition:

http://www.duragloss.com

Duragloss's products are as good as Zaino at 1/3rd the price.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Everything the old man ( ) said is true.

One product I used that made a big difference is 3m Imperial Hand Glaze. They also make a swirl remover for dark-colored cars that was very good.

Glaze it once or twice a year and wax it at least once a month. Always hand wash and use a blower to dry it. It's better to let the car stay dirty than to go through an automated high-pressure wash.

sureshot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Concours

Ahh - the simplicity of medium gray..

Does anyone else use a leaf blower to dry their car?

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

Most of the time the swirls and cobweb scratches occur during the washing, and I would definitely never use a sponge on my Cadillac.

Get a wash mitt, use the two bucket method with 5 gallon buckets & grit guards to greatly decrease the chances of you instilling swirl marks yourself.

Meguiars Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt is good, or t heir Ultsa Plush Wash Mitt.

Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash or Gold CLass Car Wash are really good too.

And what type of "buffer" did you use?

SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Has the car, especially the hood ever been repainted?

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot
    Ahh - the simplicity of medium gray..

Does anyone else use a leaf blower to dry their car?
    We've discussed the virtues of the blower here many times!

I was using a gas blower and then I tried an electric--MUCH more powerful. I think it's a Toro.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1CK
    Most of the time the swirls and cobweb scratches occur during the washing, and I would definitely never use a sponge on my Cadillac.

Get a wash mitt, use the two bucket method with 5 gallon buckets & grit guards to greatly decrease the chances of you instilling swirl marks yourself.

Meguiars Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt is good, or t heir Ultsa Plush Wash Mitt.

Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash or Gold CLass Car Wash are really good too.

And what type of "buffer" did you use?
    I use a Dewalt High Speed Polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCadillac
    Has the car, especially the hood ever been repainted?
    As far as I know the only thing to be repainted is the rear bumper and thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHare
    When Gary (turbomangt) gets back from his Vacation I'm sure he'll pitch his products (with good reason, I might add...) But as another Black/Black owner ( times 2!!!! Yikes) here's my .02 worth.

1) You'll never be satisfied. Black shows EVERYTHING. I get torqued up at the footprints the gnats leave on my Eldo Every little scratch, smear, mar, rough spot, spiderweb, swirl mark and road chip mark will be 10x more visible on black than on almost any other color. You'll go crazy trying to fix them all.

2) I think what happened is the wax you used had some fillers in it that hid the swirls for a while, but the fillers evaporate over time and soon enough, the marks are back. You sound like you already realized that, I just added it for other reader's sakes.

3) Be thankful the dealer didn't add more swirls to it. I'd have never let them get their hands on it. I'm still trying to buff out the swirls Kerbeck put in my Eldo 15 months ago.

4) Have you tried vinegar and water 50/50 on the water spots?
    No I have never tried vinegar, but wouldn't the heavy compound get that out?

5) You say "buffer" in your post - do you mean a DeWalt or other rotary, or a D/A polisher like the Porter Cable, or do you mean one of those 10" Sears Craftsman polishers?
    Dewalt High Speed

6) Did you really use a rubbing compound on your clearcoat? I'd have thought that was generally recommended against. I've found that a medium cut swirl remover with a Sonus SFX pad is about all the heavier I'd want to use at one time on my Eldo.
    I used heavy compound, because after describing my problem to the Meguiar's rep he said just use the heavy compound. So I did a small area with a foam pad and then I waxed it and again after a couple washes it was right back to where it was supposed to be.

7) Speaking of Sonus, I've heard/read some good things about their new "SwirlBuster" polish.

8) in closing, I have just one other addition:

http://www.duragloss.com

Duragloss's products are as good as Zaino at 1/3rd the price.
    I don't mean to shout with the bold, but I just wanted to let you to see that I answered the questions.

Be sure to check back with us after Sunday. Turboman will be back then and maybe he can offer you some expert advice from a professional.

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

You got any pics codewize?

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

If you own a black car and drive it daily it would pay to get a Porter Cable buffer for your swirl marks, also 100% cotton towels and cotton wash mitts will help keep your car looking good longer, microfiber towels can scratch, make sure you do a CD scratch test to see if you have good microfiber towels if you go that route. An electric leaf blower does a get job, I have used one personally for about 10 years now. Synthetic waxes will last much longer than carnauba wax products, months longer, that will help you too. Over the counter products are ok, but the top rated products you can only get mail order.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. But I cannot believe that most of you guys use a leaf blower cause it does not filter the air. I would have thought most everyone would use filtered compressed air.

SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bhoppes
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. But I cannot believe that most of you guys use a leaf blower cause it does not filter the air. I would have thought most everyone would use filtered compressed air.
    I'm with on using a leaf blower as they can stir up quite a bit of debris and then if the debris is sucked into the leaf blower--shoot it out at your vehicle! I don't use compressed air as most nozzles provide high pressure/low volume versus desired high volume/low pressure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.