What is a perfectionist to do with a black car? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, What is a perfectionist to do with a black car? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Dude, heavy compound? I never use that unless it's bad to begin with. I would use the 3M imperial micropolishing ...
    Rob_M is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac STS

Re: What is a perfectionist to do with a black car?

Dude, heavy compound? I never use that unless it's bad to begin with. I would use the 3M imperial micropolishing compound if anything, excellent results everytime...Meguiars products are awesome too. I have black on black too and I will probably get something different next time.

bhoppes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS

What does everyone think about wetsanding? Has anyone tried it? I know that wetsanding takes out every imperfection, but how long will the results last? I know they will only last as long as I take care of the car, but has anyone else wetsanded and what do you wetsanders think?

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Definitely NOT for the novice.

I think the rule is to use the least abbraisive polish first, evaluate your results and work your way up from there.

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

This thread is long enough, so I won't add to it. bottom line to answer the topic, you should not own a black car if you are a perfectionist. black will show EVERY little defect. they are harder to care for, and harder to keep looking perfect. Thier is not a black car that I have seen, (including a new one) that I can't find something wrong with. save yourself the stress and get a different color. Gary

SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Smile Re: What is a perfectionist to do with a black car?

Quote Originally Posted by bhoppes
    What does everyone think about wetsanding? Has anyone tried it? I know that wetsanding takes out every imperfection, but how long will the results last? I know they will only last as long as I take care of the car, but has anyone else wetsanded and what do you wetsanders think?
    Wetsanding, like heavy wheel compounding, can shear through your clearcoat and leave you with a multi-effect looking paint job. Without a thorough assessment of the paint's condition and quality, it may best be left to a painter. There are painters' who's specialty is black finishes. Since we cannot physically see your Cadillac, it is much harder to make suggestions.

fartman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 seville sts

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    Everything the old man ( ) said is true.

One product I used that made a big difference is 3m Imperial Hand Glaze. They also make a swirl remover for dark-colored cars that was very good.

Glaze it once or twice a year and wax it at least once a month. Always hand wash and use a blower to dry it. It's better to let the car stay dirty than to go through an automated high-pressure wash.
    what is wrong with an automated high pressure wash. I thought since nothing touches the car this may be better for scratching, etc.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

It blasts the wax off. I look at high pressure washers kind of like Dawn. It's okay to do it every now and then but I'd always follow it up with some protection.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.