Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a perfectionist to do with a black car?

Rob_M is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac STS

Re: What is a perfectionist to do with a black car?

Dude, heavy compound? I never use that unless it's bad to begin with. I would use the 3M imperial micropolishing compound if anything, excellent results everytime...Meguiars products are awesome too. I have black on black too and I will probably get something different next time.

bhoppes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS

What does everyone think about wetsanding? Has anyone tried it? I know that wetsanding takes out every imperfection, but how long will the results last? I know they will only last as long as I take care of the car, but has anyone else wetsanded and what do you wetsanders think?

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Definitely NOT for the novice.

I think the rule is to use the least abbraisive polish first, evaluate your results and work your way up from there.

This thread is long enough, so I won't add to it. bottom line to answer the topic, you should not own a black car if you are a perfectionist. black will show EVERY little defect. they are harder to care for, and harder to keep looking perfect. Thier is not a black car that I have seen, (including a new one) that I can't find something wrong with. save yourself the stress and get a different color. Gary

SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Smile Re: What is a perfectionist to do with a black car?

Quote Originally Posted by bhoppes
    What does everyone think about wetsanding? Has anyone tried it? I know that wetsanding takes out every imperfection, but how long will the results last? I know they will only last as long as I take care of the car, but has anyone else wetsanded and what do you wetsanders think?
    Wetsanding, like heavy wheel compounding, can shear through your clearcoat and leave you with a multi-effect looking paint job. Without a thorough assessment of the paint's condition and quality, it may best be left to a painter. There are painters' who's specialty is black finishes. Since we cannot physically see your Cadillac, it is much harder to make suggestions.

fartman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 seville sts

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    Everything the old man ( ) said is true.

One product I used that made a big difference is 3m Imperial Hand Glaze. They also make a swirl remover for dark-colored cars that was very good.

Glaze it once or twice a year and wax it at least once a month. Always hand wash and use a blower to dry it. It's better to let the car stay dirty than to go through an automated high-pressure wash.
    what is wrong with an automated high pressure wash. I thought since nothing touches the car this may be better for scratching, etc.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

It blasts the wax off. I look at high pressure washers kind of like Dawn. It's okay to do it every now and then but I'd always follow it up with some protection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12