Black coating on many Caddy "B" pillars
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Black coating on many Caddy "B" pillars in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 91 ETC which, like many Caddys or GM passenger cars for that matter, has black "B" pillars. ...
    EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

Black coating on many Caddy "B" pillars

I have a 91 ETC which, like many Caddys or GM passenger cars for that matter, has black "B" pillars. But over the years the surfaces have become oxidized and dulled. Does anyone have any advice as to how to best refinish them? I ask because I'm not certain they were originally painted black, or whether its some special powder coating. I have considered just spray-painting them gloss black, but of course that rarely looks as good as a body shop's baked finish, if that's what they came with.

Thanks for any tips!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Question Re: Black coating on many Caddy "B" pillars

Do you think it is anodized? I do not know if it is or not, but if it is you can it redone.

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

Re: Black coating on many Caddy "B" pillars

Try Meguiars Exterior Trim Detailer.

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

This is from the chemicals in the car wash, quick detail spray won't help. You need to use my paint cleaner then seal it. Gary

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I think they are painted. it's a low gloss to begin with so it starts getting that chalky look to it. Is that what you're talking about.

I will tell you what I just discovered. On my DTS the grill is also black and I can't really tell weather it's paint or black plastic or what but yesterday when I was detailing the car I wiped it with my tire shine stuff and actually cleaned all that chalky crap off of it. I never knew my grill looked so cool.

Maybe give that a try?

EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

Yeah, chalky is a good description. And yes, several types of detailing agents will temporarily make the surface look better -- but mine are really beyond cleaning and sealing, since they have also accumulated some scratches. I recently had the car repainted so now the B pillars really seem to stand out.

"Anodized" may be the way these surfaces were originally coated. It seems like the same process used for the black hood reveal molding the windshield wipers rest on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.