Question regarding Meguiars Products
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Question regarding Meguiars Products in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've been using the latest and greatest Meguiars stuff for years. One of my questions is what the heck is ...
    codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Question regarding Meguiars Products

I've been using the latest and greatest Meguiars stuff for years. One of my questions is what the heck is the difference between the

Meguiars brand
    Mirror Glaze brand
    Detailer Brand

This makes for very confusing shopping.

I was also disappointed that Consumer Reports doesn't really like many of the Meguiars products. They rated the new liquid Eagle One Nanowax the best.

This has probably been asked a million times but on a new car finish of medium color, what do you use to keep the car perfect, show car shine and protected. I'm only discussing exterior here please.

I want the deepest most brilliant shine I can get out of cashmere.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tkarlstad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Question regarding Meguiars Products

I am sure Gary will chime in on this and I would listen to what he has to say.
    I would recommend his products too.

But as for Meguiars I am big on there products over any other over the counter stuff. I don't know the specific difference, but when it come to car products I use the theory "you get what you pay for" $5 wax is just that, a $5 wax job.

Meguiars Gold Class is top end. And use a microfiber towel.
    Their detail spray is good to.

Others will tell you Zaino Bros. stuff is great, but I have not tried that.

Gary's stuff (you can find it on perfectautofinish.com) is solid, but best of all he is very helpful to guide you in what you are wanting to accomplish.

I think consumer reports takes into account the ease and speed you can wax a car with a product. Sure you can shoot anything on your car and wax it in 30 min. and it will look good for a week or 2 and handle a rain shower or 2, but agian, "you get what you pay for"

I am done....listen to Gary when he chimes in on this!

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

Meguiars Consumers line is the OTC stuff.

Mirror Glaze is the professional line, which include products like #80 and #83 (and alot more).

Detailer line is concentrated chemicals that are more for dressing and cleaning other parts of the car. Its so great because you can buy in bulk.

I'm huge on their products.

=Edit

Codewize, I knew I saw you over at MOL!!!

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I use the Meguiars pro line (brown bottle) for buffing. I like the compounds, dual action, #9 and some others. I don't like their finishing line of products. If its in a red bottle, stay away. weak retail stuff not effective. Even the Gold Class has been around a while. out dated unless they changed forumla. The thing about Meguiars and other HUGE comapnies, they have TOO many items, and they want to to buy all of them. The comment was made in this post already that it is confusing to buy. Of course it is, they like it that way, so you will buy more. I started my line of products for several reasons. I wanted to make the shopping and the process of detailing simple. I also wanted to be able to sell at wholesale not retail so every one could buy pro products and buy like the professionals. Go to my web site and read how easy it is to take great care of your car. Gary

Ok so what RX do you recomend for a medium colored car with like new paint. The color is actualy cashmere. I take it that your paint sealant is a replacment for traditional wax?

One more Meguiars question, how do we feel about the NXT products?

So you're saying

wash
    clean (Paint Cleaner)
    wash or rinse
    then polish and pritect in one step (Paint Sealent or Poly Seal Spray or both?)

Quote Originally Posted by turbomangt
    I use the Meguiars pro line (brown bottle) for buffing. I like the compounds, dual action, #9 and some others. I don't like their finishing line of products. If its in a red bottle, stay away. weak retail stuff not effective. Even the Gold Class has been around a while. out dated unless they changed forumla. The thing about Meguiars and other HUGE comapnies, they have TOO many items, and they want to to buy all of them. The comment was made in this post already that it is confusing to buy. Of course it is, they like it that way, so you will buy more. I started my line of products for several reasons. I wanted to make the shopping and the process of detailing simple. I also wanted to be able to sell at wholesale not retail so every one could buy pro products and buy like the professionals. Go to my web site and read how easy it is to take great care of your car. Gary

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

The NXT products are great, with their ESP technology. Nxt Car Wash is especially good for hard water and and water spotting.

About your car...

Does it have swirls?
    How long have you had it?

I agree that Meguiars products are confusing to buy for the average Joe, but once you learn a bit about them, its not that hard and they are great products at a great price!!!

A full detail for your car would be:

1. Washing the Car - NXT Car wash with a Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt is nice (there are more sopas, like the Gold Class line)

2. Claying the car- Meguiars Quik Clay System is nice (comes with Quik Detailer (as lubricant0 and a bar of clay) (also Smooth Surface CLay Kit (this comes with Quik Detailer, Clay Bar, A Supreme Shine Microfiber, and a Sample bottle of Cleaner Wax)

3. You can wash again if youd like (for getting rid of clay residue0 but don't have to if you wiped up the Quik Detailer with the Microfiber.

4. Cleaning - ScratchX is great for swirls and scratches but should not be done for the whole car. You'll kill your arms. Deep Crystal System Step 1.

5. Polishing - Polishing cleans the minor pores and imperfections in the clear coat. Deep Crystal Step 2 is also nice.

6. Protecting (Waxing) - There are alot of great waxes from MEguiars like, NXT Wax, Gold Class Wax, Deep Crystal 3 Caurnuba Wax, #21 Synthetic Sealant (professional line).

After you learn a bit more, you'll find that its alot easier and you know what each product does, just like I found out.

SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by codewize
    I want the deepest most brilliant shine I can get out of cashmere.
    What most people do not realize is that the paint application itself has a lot to do with the shine that one can achieve. I purchased a GM luxury automobile and paid extra for the paint color. The problem was it had so much orange peel that even though I detailed it to the utmost it never had the shine of cars where the paint was much latter. You can block-sand, although I do not recommend this to the novice and reach a flat surface on an automobile's paint, and it will shine very well with about any wax.

Using my system you will find it much easier than Meguiars or any other company for that matter. Since I also detail for a living I guess I should know something about it.
    hand wash using a two bucket method, one for soap one for rinse
    clay the finish, do a quick wash after you clay to remove clay residue
    dry with a waffle weave mirco fiber towel only
    use my cleaner polish work in small sections at a time
    seal with my sealant.
    thats it, you don't need anything else. only exepection is if your finish has deep swirls and scratches, then thats a whole different procedure.
    read my web site for customer feedback and tips on other topics on car care. gary

NO deep scratches or swirls. No flaws in the paint at all that I can find.

Gary, I'm going to try your products. If they're as good as you say I will continue to use them. You have two sealants for sale, what is the difference between them?

Quote Originally Posted by turbomangt
    Using my system you will find it much easier than Meguiars or any other company for that matter. Since I also detail for a living I guess I should know something about it.
    hand wash using a two bucket method, one for soap one for rinse
    clay the finish, do a quick wash after you clay to remove clay residue
    dry with a waffle weave mirco fiber towel only
    use my cleaner polish work in small sections at a time
    seal with my sealant.
    thats it, you don't need anything else. only exepection is if your finish has deep swirls and scratches, then thats a whole different procedure.
    read my web site for customer feedback and tips on other topics on car care. gary

The Ultimate paint seal is the base and should be used first during your detail process. Polyseal is a quick refresher and can be used once a month or so to keep that brillant deep wet looking finish. The paint seal will protect your car up to 6 months, but in 3 months it might not have that same shine it had when you detailed it. using polyseal maintains the new car look all the time, Gary

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Meguiar's products are ok, their Pro line is pretty good, our shops used their products in the 80's and 90's, and in fact we were the largest end user of Meguiar's products in the US for over 10 years. Having said that there are many products better than Meguiar's products for over the counter buyers. I personally feel Mother's Reflections is better for OTC products. If you look at the test results of a few years back Meguiar's wax products are middle of the road at best. www.gurureports.org

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.