detailing advice...that grey textured plastic
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, detailing advice...that grey textured plastic in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; theres a grey textured plastic used as cladding on avalanches, used on the bottom of my deville, used alot on ...
    OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

detailing advice...that grey textured plastic

theres a grey textured plastic used as cladding on avalanches, used on the bottom of my deville, used alot on the honda element, used on a toyota suv,ford explorer sport trac, a whole lot of vehicles have this stuff now, i just gave multiple examples so youd know what im talkin about maybe.

anyways, when im waxing and now especially when i use the buffer, some of the wax gets on this stuff, and its hard to get off since its textured it gets in all the grooves, well as you know wax dries up and whitens so then the plastic gets all ugly, ive used tire shine and other kinds of dressing on it to make it look good again, but its only temporary, once it wears off it gets all ugly again, this time i used gary's "Ultimate Dressing" and its been since saturday, still looks good, i dont know how long thatll last. anyways, what can i do to prevent this problem once i start detailing other vehicles, or what can i use to get this stuff out.

thanks in advance, Martin

(btw gary's ultimate dressing is great stuff, i used it on all my seals - hood door trunk window etc-, it used to be gray,now its black, looks great, works great)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Re: detailing advice...that grey textured plastic

Gary's "ultimate dressing" is probably a different type of product than tire shine. I expect that it will last you several months. I've never seen a dissatisfied customer!

It may be similar to something I used on my previous car (Honda Prelude). I used a product from Griot's Garage that actually dyes the plastic black again. Only had to use it once, it lasted two years. Maybe longer? I dunno, I got rid of it.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

I have always used bug and tar remover. It will remove the white, but will also remove the wax from any paint you come in contact with (and you will). After removing the white layer, put a layer of masking tape on the gray pieces, right next to the paint. This way any wax will get on the tape, not the plastic.

Don

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

ok thanks for the replies guys

ChicagoCTS32 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 1SC Diamond White CTS

It's not exactly the same, but the problem is similar... On early build CTS's there is some textured, exposed or anodized metal on the trailing edge of the front door and the leading edge of the rear door between the windows. Wax gets stuck in the grooves of the metal and is VERY hard to get out. I use a stiff nylon bristled brush to get the wax out after it dries. Think ultra stiff toothbrush. It takes about 5 - 10 minutes for each piece to get it done well. PITA!
    I bought a little kit from black magic that had a horse hair brush, vent cleaner, and the nylon brush.

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Just use some all purpose cleaner and a tooth brush like CTS32 pointed out. I see it all the time, the residue gets in the textured plastic, all purpose and a small brush gets it right off, then follow up with dressing, should be good to go. Gary

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.