DVD soon to be released
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, DVD soon to be released in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I got an email a few months ago thinking it was spam. The guy introduced himself as the owner of ...
    turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

DVD soon to be released

I got an email a few months ago thinking it was spam. The guy introduced himself as the owner of panarama studios from Ca. As it turns out the guy has been following my posts on a few forums and came to the conclusion that I would be the right canidate for taping a "How to" detailing DVD. His proposal was one I could not refuse. he was going to foot the bill for the whole deal, I would get 25% of total sales, he gets 75%. (kind of like how a writer and publisher works) last week he flew out to meet me at my shop with his filming crew, we taped for 3 days. I found out he has done work for National Geographic, and has filmed some made for TV films. it was exciting working on this project, but I will admitt I was nervous talking to a camera. he expects the tape will be ready for market some time early fall. here is what I'm excited about, he also has contacts with various companies for marketing. he will try to get this tape in pep boys, auto zone, perhaps even Walmart. if just one big company grabs onto it, you can say you knew me when. retail price is going for around $24.95 Yep, this is what dreams are made of. :heelclick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Re: DVD soon to be released

You are old enough Turbomangt, to know that if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is - too good to be true. Tread softly, friend and read ALL the fine print in your "agreement" with this guy. If you have to put ANY money up front, then hire a lawyer to go over it with you - in all honesty, your judgement may be impaired somewhat by being blindsided by the glamour - or the potential $$$, in this case.

Normally I wouldn't give this a 2nd thought, but the wording of the guy's sales pitch sent a shudder down my spine - I have a friend up here who is in a completely different field than yours (medical field, an expert in his chosen specialty), but the situation could be a mirror image:

1) Guy has a specialty that he is well known for:
    2) Guy gets a call out of the blue about doing up a DVD on it
    3) Guy is told he doesn't have to put up penny-one for it, just bask in the residuals,,,,
    3) Mention of getting the end product in some BIG HITTER stores like Walmart, WALGREENS, SEARS, etc.
    4) Now the "hook", Turbo - even though the initial deal had no money attached to it, in order to get the DVD into those BIG HITTER stores, a small amount of money will have to be put up in advance of this happening, just to cover the copying and distributing of all those thousands of your DVDs into the BIG HITTER stores.

Say, 25 grand should cover it. At the very top end, maybe 40 grand - but that would be IT of course! After all, you stand to make many thousands of times that amount when the public starts scooping those DVDs up by the armsfull, right? Right?

So you pay. And then you wait. And wait.

And then the excuses start coming in: Maybe there will be problems with the copying of all those thousands of DVDs - he might have to ask you for a bit more money to "sweeten" the pot and get whoever is copying those DVDs to hurry the f**k up and get moving on it. Maybe the guy's business contacts aren't there anymore and that is why he is having probs getting the DVDs into the BIG HITTER stores. Maybe the stores are giving him a rough time about where to place the DVDs for maximum exposure to the public. Maybe, maybe, maybe, etc. And they will keep jerking you around until they figure they've bled you dry, or you lose interest, or you give up in frustration.

I like you Turbomangt, and I wouldn't be saying any of this if I didn't like you.

After all, it happened to a friend of mine in the medical field. A guy who is smart, stable, not prone to get-rich-quick schemes. A solid, upfront guy.

Almost EXACTLY the way it is happening right now. Talk about deja-vu! Just watch for the money-pitch, Turbo. See if it comes up as the date for releasing the DVDs comes closer.

That's all I ask.

Frost, I did have my lawyer check it out, says its a good deal. I don't have hopes to get rich by any means, but I do like the fact I can reach out to people in their home with my tips and advice. I have had numerous people ask me to do this project, untill now I couldn't forsee how to get it done. The company that filmed it, does get 75% of the profits, I get 25%. which is why I don't front any money, all the risk was absorbed by Panorama Studios. I will say after working with them for a few days, it was great fun, and I think the product he will put out will be one that most people will want to have. It will be nice to know when I retire that my teachings will still live on through the tape. gary

Since you've covered all your bases Turbo, then bask away, secure in the knowledge that all is upfront and solid - you've certainly earned it!

And I'll be one of the 1st to buy one!~ Of course, i'll be shipping it to you for autographing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

haha, thats great!!!

just goes to show you, the sky's the limit!

good luck, when your on tv im gonna say, i got advice and ordered product from that guy before he was ultra famous

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

also, since you're the star of the dvd, will you be getting advanced copies, and if so, will we get an opportunity to order advanced copies?

yes,,,,advance copies,,,,autographed, of course.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Hell yeah! I'll buy one!

Don't know about advanced copies, he does have to do all the editing, add music, and get a printer to make the liner. don't worry, you will know when its ready. I should of stayed quiet about it till production was closer.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

But do keep us posted on time and places to buy your DVD. It is a must for us!!

jstowe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 CTS

Good luck with it and hope that the final product is as good as your work and products.

I'd buy it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.