I've asked this before, but it never got a response and now can't find it,,,,
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, I've asked this before, but it never got a response and now can't find it,,,, in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ,,,,has anyone thought about retro-fitting those rear side and back window powered shades from a newer DHS into a '97/99 ...
    Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

I've asked this before, but it never got a response and now can't find it,,,,

,,,,has anyone thought about retro-fitting those rear side and back window powered shades from a newer DHS into a '97/99 style Deville? Do you think it would be feasible from a hassle and time intensive point of view? Anything jump out at anyone as to why it WOULDN'T work? I haven't gotten out my trusty measuring tape to see if there would be any fitment concerns,,,it might be unworkable from that standpoint alone.

For the DHS onwers who have these shades - How are they activated - just a button or toggle switch on the dash? Any problems or issues? Are they dependable or easily broken or otherwise screwed up? Are they even worth it as far as providing a better, secure privacy screen, or will heavier tinting do a better job for less hassle?

I currently have tinting all around, no idea what % of tint, tho - I bought the car with it already installed. I DO know that the tinting is a bit more intensive on the rear door windows than the fronts.

Please, perspiring minds need to know!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

Re: I've asked this before, but it never got a response and now can't find it,,,,

I tried making a rear sun shield using some fine mesh vinyl replacement screen. It looked ok but I have to come up with a better flexible frame to attach it to. I just hung it from the end of the headliner straight down and tucked it into the space between the rear deck and the back seat. It looked hoaky so I removed it. The other idea I had was to retrofit a jetta/passat rear shade into the rear deck. I knew the DHS had the side shades but I didn't see the rear one. Good luck let us know how it works out.
    Found this page
    Frost I know you like to tinker, these may give you some ideas.
    Paul

Re: I've asked this before, but it never got a response and now can't find it,,,,

thanks for the reply, CB - yeah, I like to push the bounds of good taste as well as engineering possibilities whenever the mood strikes me!

Actually, I figured i wouldn't be too difficult. I was kind of thinking of either that mesh pulldown (perhaps motorized) or even some very small, ultra thin metal slats which would be a real bitch, fitting around the curved rear window - not as bad with the side ones, but the back, yeah, that'd be a bitch.- although they may not even make what I'm looking for,,,,,

I feel that curtains are "Verboten" on a manly ride like a Caddy, so it would have to be mesh or slats. Too bad that GM hasn't come up with the idea of polarizing the glass in those windows, kinda like all-weather glasses, which would instantly darken in the sun and then just as quickly return to normal in any shaded condition.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

or even better, ive heard of glass that you can apply an electric charge to and it will tint or change colors

that would be excellent for use in cars, you need privacy or shade, you hit the tint button.

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    thanks for the reply, CB - yeah, I like to push the bounds of good taste as well as engineering possibilities whenever the mood strikes me!

Actually, I figured i wouldn't be too difficult. I was kind of thinking of either that mesh pulldown (perhaps motorized) or even some very small, ultra thin metal slats which would be a real bitch, fitting around the curved rear window - not as bad with the side ones, but the back, yeah, that'd be a bitch.although they may not even make what I'm looking for,,,,,

I feel that curtains are "Verboten" on a manly ride like a Caddy, so it would have to be mesh or slats. Too bad that GM hasn't come up with the idea of polarizing the glass in those windows, kinda like all-weather glasses, which would instantly darken in the sun and then just as quickly return to normal in any shaded condition.
    That is why I went straight up and down between the end of the headliner and the rear edge of the back seat. I want to experiment with those flexible tent poles to see if I can mak a flex-frame the would hold it firmly against the glass and also follow the curve of the window. (or maybe I'll call NASA and see what materials they use lol!)

I smell a business venture opportunity here,,,,,,but if we make it,,,,will they come?

Like the idea of the gas-charged particles, changing the colour of the window glass as the mood (or circumstances) would warrant. Not unlike what is now available on the Philips Plasma TVs - it is called "Ambient Lighting"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.