Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dealing with mildl/medium oxidized paint on 2001 DeVille, medium red.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cadikarl 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Get into www.autogeek.net , do some study, then get their paint maintenance DVD. You have some time, hard labor and money ahead of you, but if the clearcoat is basically intact you can salvage that severely neglected finish.

The paint system code is on the RPO sticker under the spare tire cover. Bounce that code against the proper year/model descriptons in www.paintscratch.com

Attachments

#3 ·
(now in the correct forum, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...aling-mildl-medium-oxidized-paint-2001-a.html)

Is '"medium red" the right name for this color, or is that a Ford-ism? It's the purplish color, not the orange-red.

Anyway, no cracks, blisters, etc., but the wear on the roof is noticeable. It''w worst here at the front by the windshield:

View attachment 327841

and the side of the roof:

View attachment 327849 View attachment 327849

Dealing with mildl/medium oxidized paint on 2001 DeVille, medium red.-img_3363.jpg

I was going to grab some old towels and a jar of compounding wax, did some web searching, and held back.

It seems Meguires #7 has a cult-following to use first. Then again, some of those sites were downright, well, cultish about the stuff.

And microfiber cloths.

Is that the way to go? And then what?
hanks

hawk
============================
that looks like it USED to be the crimson pearl -
but someone "washed" it with an SOS pad -

I suspect the clear is destroyed -
and it is down through the pigmented coat -

you might try a real buffer - with a wool cutting pad -
with some "hand" rubbing compound -

but I think you are wasting your time -

buffing and waxing can't put paint back on the car -

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.