Turbomangt, need your opinion...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Turbomangt, need your opinion... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey turbo, about a month ago my car was really dirty and covered in dirt. The type of dirt where ...
    SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

Turbomangt, need your opinion...

Hey turbo, about a month ago my car was really dirty and covered in dirt. The type of dirt where people like to occasionally write, "Wash Me" and other crap on. So I come out of school and someone decides to draw something on my car, I won't say what it is and I leave it there, since I hadn't had any time to wash the WHOLE car. So I finally take it to the car wash to spruce it up a bit and I see that the "Drawing" is still in my finish, and shine and whatnot. Not NOTICEABLY but if you look hard enough you can tell. It really bothers me because although no one may see it, I KNOW its there, and it bothers me. IT's like the drawing was "Swirled" or something into the hood. Is there anyway I can remove this? I'll post pics but I doubt you can see the problem right away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Re: Turbomangt, need your opinion...

It would depend on how it was put on there. Once on my old car, I had some tosser write on my trunk by using his lighter, intending to melt the frost, and probably some of the clearcoat as well . Anyway, if the light hit it right, I could see it for another 8 months or so..then it sort of faded.

So being you don't know how it was done, I would wash it again by hand, clay it, and if it's still there maybe resort to a wee bit of rubbing compound, and I do mean a wee bit :-D...and seal it of course. Using a car wash with that much dirt on it is not the best move. The high pressure can engrain the dirt into your paint job.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by SL1CK
    Hey turbo, about a month ago my car was really dirty and covered in dirt. The type of dirt where people like to occasionally write, "Wash Me" and other crap on. So I come out of school and someone decides to draw something on my car, I won't say what it is and I leave it there, since I hadn't had any time to wash the WHOLE car. So I finally take it to the car wash to spruce it up a bit and I see that the "Drawing" is still in my finish, and shine and whatnot. Not NOTICEABLY but if you look hard enough you can tell. It really bothers me because although no one may see it, I KNOW its there, and it bothers me. IT's like the drawing was "Swirled" or something into the hood. Is there anyway I can remove this? I'll post pics but I doubt you can see the problem right away.
    The dirt scratched your clear coat, you will need to use a product like 3M Scratch & Swirl Remover, clay is not abrasive and will not remove scratches. You can do this by hand, but better results will be with a buffer, make sure if you do this by hand that you go in one direction, not circular.

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Slick, both tailfin and hcvone gave great advice. I would guess that those marks might come out with a good hand wash and clay treatment. Problem with automatic car washes (besides the obvious danger) is they don't really clean cars that well. Once you wash her yourself, take a look at her in direct sunlight, that will tell you if it came out. I would ask you to check out my Ultimate Paint cleaner/polish, its much easier to use than 3-M and will produce stunning results. You can use it by hand of buffer. Plus, this goes without saying, only use micro fiber towels on your finish. Gary

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.