Getting ink out of leather
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Getting ink out of leather in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Ok, so magically I soppted a 3 inch line of ink yesterday in my passenger seat of my 99 seville. ...
    MrEr1c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Getting ink out of leather

Ok, so magically I soppted a 3 inch line of ink yesterday in my passenger seat of my 99 seville. I have no idea how it got there. It looked to be ink from a sharpie marker or somehting like that.

So i look around online for suggestions to get the ink out and everyplace i look says that rubbing alcohol works with no side effects.

Guess what? It does work! It got all the ink completely off of my leather seat...but now i have a line of light colored faded leather!!!

WTF!?!

Does anyone know of a way to get the color back in my tan leather? the damn rubbing alcohol that everyone suggested faded my leather!

Conclusion: Do NOT use rubbing alcohol to get ink out of your cadillacs leather.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Re: Getting ink out of leather

Hmm that sucks lol. I'm not sure what the best way is to restore/maintain it after that, but at least it isn't cracked hehe.

I would have said isopropyl if you had asked me too...oops . I can't think of a gentler substance that would still get out permanent marker though...maybe there is *shrug*.

MWA
    MWA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS

Contact Leatherique.com with your questions and they will know what to advise. Good luck!

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Try a solvent based cleaner, or go to a janitorial supply store they will have something.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

hold up, hold up. I think what it did was clean your leather, making it look lighter, and to you:faded. I have not seen it, so I can't tell you that IS what it is, but it sounds like what happened to my '96 Deville: I got a drop of murphy's oil soap on my are rest, and when I wiped it of it was lighter that the surounding area, then I realised that it cleaned it, I thought it had faded because I did not know my leather was at all dirty, but I guess it was hehe.

think that might be it?

If thats not it, I would try conditioning the leather befor you put any kind of dye or anything on it, it might just be a little dryed out IMO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.