Speaking of "Simonize" and Sealing Wax and Other Fancy Stuff,,,,
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Speaking of "Simonize" and Sealing Wax and Other Fancy Stuff,,,, in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ,,,,,,,,well, OK, just the Simonize for now, I guess. Does anyone besides Turbo and I remember this stuff - more ...
    Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Speaking of "Simonize" and Sealing Wax and Other Fancy Stuff,,,,

,,,,,,,,well, OK, just the Simonize for now, I guess. Does anyone besides Turbo and I remember this stuff - more specifically, what was in it to make it so indestructable? What was in it to make it so damn hard to buff off? The product that passes for it now (by the same name) is a mere shadow of it's former glory.

Maybe it wasn't just the wax, but also a function of the car's paint (had lead in it?) used at that time, that gave the end result such a lasting gleam. That black '53 Buick that my Dad had sure shine'd up nicely with a coat or two of the old stuff. Perhaps that was it - the paint was pretty well indestructable too, so you could beat up on it with all the rubbing and scrubbing and still have a nice surface afterwards.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Re: Speaking of "Simonize" and Sealing Wax and Other Fancy Stuff,,,,

sometimes we have such fond memories of things. sometimes those memories are a little bit exaggerated, sometimes they're not.

could it be that it gives the same shine it always has, but you just remember it as being so much better?

btw this is not to offend in any way, after i read it in all possible tones of voice i realized it may have come off as smart-alecky

and of course not everyone comes into a post reading with the same tone of voice

Goodyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville 2006 STS

I remember it well. It was hard to get off but it did leave a great shine. How about Vista wax. I used a lot of both. Don't know what was in either product.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

hey i heard the term "simonized" last night on seinfeld, i was the onyl one who knew that they were talkin bout

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Certainly no offence taken OTHCEO, but I can tell you that the original simonize paste wax was a bear to put on AND take off - that's why they only wanted you to apply it to a small area at a time - to try and do the whole car in one sitting would have put too many people in the ground. Permanently.

Personally, I think this product was very similar to the old paste waxes they had for hardwood floors. There is a woodworking specialty company up here called "Lee Valley" and they advertise a hard paste wax called "Blue Label Paste Wax". It is formulated for hardwood floors, containing petroleum distillates and turpentine. I have a can of it and it SURE smells like the old simonize stuff.

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

I certainly remember the "Simonize" brand and Vista wax. They were a lot of work to put on and take off. Those of us who "knew" more than the manufacturer did about the product put on way more than we needed and did larger sections to reduce the time it took to complete the task.......well we only did that once! The polymers of today make it so easy to keep the finish nice. I found this article about the Simonize company for your reading enjoyment:
    The original Simonize

Paul

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    Personally, I think this product was very similar to the old paste waxes they had for hardwood floors. .
    My understanding is that they are one and the same. You can still buy good old "Johnson" wax for your floors. Smells the same, like you said. You might try it out, but I'm not sure that the protection and shine is that much better than the synthetics you could get today.

Automotive paints have gone through a couple of evolutions since the 50's. Somewhere I have a book on the subject of lead based, lacquers, and clearcoats. I didn't understand it all and don't care to anymore!!!

But I do think that today's clear coats should shine deeper than what you remember from that old Buick. Part of it is that back then, "black" really meant "black." Today you get three varieties of black that include metallic and pearl with red or blue highlights. None of them look as good to me, either.

Maybe like me, your eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and nothing compares to a memory.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.