Zaino question...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Zaino question... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well, it's about that time I start thinking about another job for my ride... Last time I mentioned that I ...
    suckit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Zaino question...

Well, it's about that time I start thinking about another job for my ride... Last time I mentioned that I got a "professional" job for about 400. It was okay, I didn't think it was worth $400. I just got so tired of seeing them damn swirls on my black paint. Anyways, I've alway been interested in Zaino, I mean, the pictures are crazy. The only reason I never bought it was that I thought I needed the professional tools to get the look. After seeing the pics, I'm wondering what these people used. Was it just the kit and an applicator pad that did all that, or did these people use them professional buffers? Someone spit me some knowledge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Zaino question...

Original user name I may say. $400 is high, I charge $225 and Ispend all day on a car. When you talk about detailing supplies,I don't care what brand you use, the end result all depends on the prep work. I don't care if you use Turtle wax, if you go through the proper steps it will look good. the difference between a good detail and an outstanding detail is knowing how to use products and their specific applications. I'm a sponsor here and I sell professional suppies, the reason I'm successful is that I offer people like yourself a simple solution to car care. some companines will have you go through 5-6 steps, they sell more product, you spend more money and use more time. Lets take a closer look. I tell people if their paint is in good condition (no major swirls, scracthes etc) you can get the car looking like a mirror using these steps/ hand wash/clay/deep cleaner with polish/seal. if however you have some serious defects you will need to use a machine, or take it to someone that knows how to use one. I get plenty of cars in my shop that "hackers" detailed and damaged the finish or made it worse. One trade secret in my business is knowing what buffer to use. I own 4, each has a different application. I won't get into each of them here. but buffers can do more damage then good in the wrong hands. If you want to do the work yourself, I will be glad to help. I will need pics and history of the car, and notes of any blemishes that are problem areas. If you want to take it to a pro, I'm on the board of directors of the Professional Detailers Association and you can click on your state to find a certified detailer near you. www.detailersassociation.com You can pm me, or call me for one on one help, this is what I do, and I love my job.................Gary www.perfectautofinish.com

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by suckit
    Well, it's about that time I start thinking about another job for my ride... Last time I mentioned that I got a "professional" job for about 400. It was okay, I didn't think it was worth $400. I just got so tired of seeing them damn swirls on my black paint. Anyways, I've alway been interested in Zaino, I mean, the pictures are crazy. The only reason I never bought it was that I thought I needed the professional tools to get the look. After seeing the pics, I'm wondering what these people used. Was it just the kit and an applicator pad that did all that, or did these people use them professional buffers? Someone spit me some knowledge.
    The only "tool" you would need is a Porter Cable buffer, and that would be to get rid of your swirls once and for all, you could also have this done at a good detail shop or body shop, then you could keep up on the truck yourself. Most people find the ZKit1 to have everything they need to keep their car/truck looking good for a year or two with the products in the kit. As I said before when you told us you spent 400 dollars on getting your truck detailed, that was too much, unless you had a ton of swirl marks causing someone to spend all day on your truck, and even then it would be a lot of money. Zaino products are applied by hand, but with any product surface prep is the key to the best results.

Too bad you don't live close to Chicago, I just posted my 2006 detailing class schedule on my web site www.perfectautofinish.com I also conduct an advanced class which is hands on in my shop. Students get to wet sand and buff using all the machines needed to do serious paint correction, along with basic car care applications. I also do one on one assistance over the phone for so don't hesitate to call me . 630 947 2090. I get 3-4 calls a day from people all over needing help detailing and tons of e mails. This is what I do and what I love. Gary
    p.s. true story, had a guy call me a few weeks ago just got his new Solstice and was afraid to touch it. I mean he couldn't even wash it. Totally paronoid. after some phone counciling he was able to wash and seal it.

Thanks to both you guys... great advice. I'm going to keep the number and call if I have questions.

I guess what I'll do is get a professional detail at this carwash spot down the street. They clay-bar and do a 3 step wax with Blue Coral I believe. I've seen them work on a truck which came out pretty good. They only charge $120 I believe. Afterwards I'll get the Zaino kit and start upkeeping myself, so expect more questions guys, haha.

Speaking of the last detail I got around August, it was okay. The guy spent like almost 2 days working on my ride in his garage. He did use the professional tool, but I don't think he used it on the whole car. The hood came out real nice, but the doors and other parts of the car were noticeable still swirly. I had some oxidation from rain that probably could of been removed from clay bar that was still there. When I went to pick up my ride, I noticed him spraying a ton of this anti-static show car detailing spray. He kept talking about the spray, which made me think that he probably did most of my ride by hand and used the spray right before I came to enhance the look. It's only been a few months, I live in CAlifornia where the weather is not too bad, I keep my ride garaged most of the time, and now I am starting to really notice the swirls again. Not only that, my paint feels rough as ever. Oh well, I'll probably now take it to the carwash or the dealership, which advertised a full detail + engine wash + vacuum for about $150. Too bad all your guys are located in socal Turbo. Afterwards, I'll be sure to do things on my own.

Thanks to both you guys... great advice. I'm going to keep the number and call if I have questions.
    I guess what I'll do is get a professional detail at this carwash spot down the street. They clay-bar and do a 3 step wax with Blue Coral I believe. I've seen them work on a truck which came out pretty good. They only charge $120 I believe. Afterwards I'll get the Zaino kit and start upkeeping myself, so expect more questions guys, haha.
    Speaking of the last detail I got around August, it was okay. The guy spent like almost 2 days working on my ride in his garage. He did use the professional tool, but I don't think he used it on the whole car. The hood came out real nice, but the doors and other parts of the car were noticeable still swirly. I had some oxidation from rain that probably could of been removed from clay bar that was still there. When I went to pick up my ride, I noticed him spraying a ton of this anti-static show car detailing spray. He kept talking about the spray, which made me think that he probably did most of my ride by hand and used the spray right before I came to enhance the look. It's only been a few months, I live in CAlifornia where the weather is not too bad, I keep my ride garaged most of the time, and now I am starting to really notice the swirls again. Not only that, my paint feels rough as ever. Oh well, I'll probably now take it to the carwash or the dealership, which advertised a full detail + engine wash + vacuum for about $150. Too bad all your guys are located in socal Turbo. Afterwards, I'll be sure to do things on my own.

If he spent 2 days on your truck I could see the 400 dollars, but after 2 days the truck should look new. Where are you located in Cali? You may want to checkout www.lazaino.com , he is in the LA area of Cali, very nice people to deal with, and maybe he knows a good detailer near you. Also if you wash your own truck, make sure the wash mitt and your towels are of good quality, that will help keep your truck swirl free too

You can also check out www.detailersassociation.com click open the state you are in and see if any qualified detailers are near you. I serve on the board, we started this 2 years ago in order to set some standards. Gary

Thanks turbo mag, I'm going to try it out. I tried going on the site, no dealer near by me. I'm in northern CAlifornia.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    If he spent 2 days on your truck I could see the 400 dollars, but after 2 days the truck should look new. Where are you located in Cali? You may want to checkout www.lazaino.com , he is in the LA area of Cali, very nice people to deal with, and maybe he knows a good detailer near you. Also if you wash your own truck, make sure the wash mitt and your towels are of good quality, that will help keep your truck swirl free too

I use a yellow fluffy mitt from Kragren. I also try to use micro fiber when using the spray wax.

I use a yellow fluffy mitt from Kragren. I also try to use micro fiber when using the spray wax.
    I would use a cotton wash mitt, and many microfiber towels cause scratching, you can check your microfiber towels out by rubbing them on a CD, like the ones you get from AOL in the mail, rub the "burned" side of the CD for about 15 seconds, then hold it up to the light, if you see scraches in the CD those towels will scratch your clear coat.

Larry Kessler is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I always use Zaino and I get the results I want. Great stuff. I have a buffer and its like new. I guess thats because its still in the box. Hand wax is the way to go for me.

If you get scratches from your micro fiber you are using (cheap) low quality ones. Whenever a high quality product comes to market someone somewhere will try to duplicate it using cheaper materials. I only use MF and I do cars that are judged in car shows, some even featured in magazines. The high quality comes from Korea, cheap ones from China. I get many people telling me they can buy for less than on my web site, but after they use that stuff, they come back for the good stuff. Have not had a single complaint on the ones I sell. gary

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.